Bills disappointed in Elam's potential to contribute this year? (unfounded internet rumor)

Einstein

Its fun to watch posters get all worked up over a rumor from an unknown source, let the panty twisting begin…,

Go  Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

How about now?

Exactly.

Comments about training camp performance are largely based upon expectations. 

And a burning desire to be right.  If you opposed the drafting of someone you seize anything that suggests you were right. (ref: Josh Allen)

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

How about now?

Exactly.

Comments about training camp performance are largely based upon expectations. 

I don't really care about what a rookie looks like in training camp or even the first part of the season. I want to see him continue to get better every week and then really start playing well around mid season...

Usually have a little drop off at the end of the year due to them hitting the rookie wall and their bodies not having any real break from the end of the college season to end of their first season with combine training, pro days, private workouts for various teams, rookie minicamps etc

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

Yeah I know. Just saying that they panicked and took him instead of trading down and picking up more picks. There were good corners in round 2 and 3. They didn’t NEED to take Elam.  Benford is more proof that McD can coach up DBs. That was my argument against a first round corner and I still stand by it.

He will be going against other professional qbs and receivers every week. They will be scouting his weaknesses and exploiting them. Don’t act like this isn’t something to be concerned about. 

Did you ever think maybe Benford came in more ready than the rest of the league thought?

It’s a lot more proof that Benford works hard and was ahead of schedule than McDermott got him ready so fast 

And it’s about who is the best player in four years not in TC… Elam Wouldn’t be the first High pedigree guy to struggle early … and benford Isn’t the first late rounder to play well early 

Development rate is not the same for all players

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Tough to trust random people on the internet but I found this story from a fan potentially concerning. The fan who wrote this has been a member of that Bills forum for 19 years, so I'm hoping he wouldn't just make this up.

"One of the beat writers was at a wedding I was at this past weekend. Not gonna say who. He 'says' that word around camp is that Elam isn’t anywhere near where the Bills had hoped in terms of starting week one or contributing." (link)

I know there have been reports that he has struggled at times, but I hadn't yet seen anything that indicates that the Bills are realizing that Elam is just not ready to contribute. Especially upsetting with reports than McDuffie has looked impressive in Chiefs camp. 

Mcduffie has to cover tik tok boy for a living in practice. Will get a dose of reality here soon.

It's not really an unfounded internet rumor...Joe Buscaglia literally said this on the record on The Athletic podcast a day or two ago. Obviously still plenty of time for Elam to turn things around though.

Edited by DCOrange

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

Yeah I know. Just saying that they panicked and took him instead of trading down and picking up more picks. There were good corners in round 2 and 3. They didn’t NEED to take Elam.  Benford is more proof that McD can coach up DBs. That was my argument against a first round corner and I still stand by it.

Drafting is rarely about getting an immediate impact.  

Some guys come into the league more prepared/ready to play, but their ceiling is low and they don't have the talent to become great.  A perfect example is the 2017 quarterback draft class.  Baker Mayfield was very good his rookie year.  Head and shoulders above everyone else.  But within a couple seasons he was lapped by Lamar Jackson and then Josh Allen.  Those guys were raw as rookies, but had the potential to be superstars if developed correctly.  Mayfield was always going to be a mid-tier/average QB.

Sean McDermott has a history of coaching-up late round CBs (Levi Wallace, Dane Jackson) into solid NFL starters.  But there was always a low ceiling with those guys, and it limited our defense.  If our coach can get that kind of production out of 7th Rounders and UDFAs, then imagine what he can do with Kaiir Elam's physical talent.

8 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Don't we have enough "concerned" fans on this board.  Do we now have to go and get some more from other boards?

Just Say NO.

It's always good to surround yourself with people that care. 

Just depends on what they care about. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It seems we still haven’t learned that this is the most tight lipped organization in the league.  This FO and coaches don’t talk.

Thank you very much.....some of the posters here remind me of an old lady Bridge group gossiping away.....smfh.

• Agree 1

The “somebody told me” thing is silly, but these are still facts - Elam was inconsistent in college with raw, undeveloped technique. Plenty of observers weren’t thrilled with the pick. As expected, he’s struggled early in camp. He is not, and never was, dependable as an immediate starter as a rookie.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.