Bills disappointed in Elam's potential to contribute this year? (unfounded internet rumor)

Einstein

Just now, Scott7975 said:

They panicked?  I doubt they panicked. lol.

If you say a guy is a 1st rounder, and the only one left on your board, it's BPA.  And double bonus, at a position of need.  They only "panicking" was to make sure they got the BPA, not over-drafting him.  If people think they lied, come out and say it.  But ultimately it will depend on how he plays, not whispers at a wedding, to determine whether their evaluation was correct.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Benford is more proof that McD can coach up DBs.

I think this storyline has gotten way overblown. Benford has gotten beat plenty of times too, but because he's a 6th round pick the positives are unexpected and end up being the headline.

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Tough to trust random people on the internet but I found this story from a fan potentially concerning. The fan who wrote this has been a member of that Bills forum for 19 years, so I'm hoping he wouldn't just make this up.

"One of the beat writers was at a wedding I was at this past weekend. Not gonna say who. He 'says' that word around camp is that Elam isn’t anywhere near where the Bills had hoped in terms of starting week one or contributing." (link)

I know there have been reports that he has struggled at times, but I hadn't yet seen anything that indicates that the Bills are realizing that Elam is just not ready to contribute. Especially upsetting with reports than McDuffie has looked impressive in Chiefs camp. 

McDuffie doesn't have any real WRs to cover.

I'm sure he looks decent.  

Edited by Big Blitz

1 hour ago, 34-78-83 said:

Under this regime since 2017, the only advantage the sideline reporters have over fans is the amount of visual exposure to practice. Nothing else leaks. Sideline reporters have no additional information regarding how the Bills organization feels about the development of one of their players. Period.

Billls were an organization bleeding information out and one of the first things Coach McD did before Beane came in as GM was tell staff that leaks would not be tolerated and be grounds for firing.  He then put some tidbits out there staged so he would know source and when he found leaks terminated staff members.  A good deal of the leaks came from locker rooms and garbage cans.  

Edited by Limeaid
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Then why draft a guy that doesn’t fit the scheme?

Because not doing something in college does not mean he is unable to do it, simply that he wasn't asked to do it.

Huge difference. Scheme fit issue would be if they are asking him to do something he is not capable of doing well. Like put a 3-4DE in a 4-3 and expect great sack numbers.

If they feel he has the skills that would allow him to learn it and do it well then why wouldn't you draft him? Especially with how the Bills track record is with exceptional DB play from coaching them up.

Edited by Big Turk

21 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Well he basically played man in college and has to learn off the ball coverage...so this may be true since Bills play a lot of off ball coverage.

Yes they play a lot of off-ball coverage but they also mix it when teams have a strong WR put a DB on that player moving DB to side of field that WR is on.

I knew it. He seemed like such a suck- up at the pre-draft interview with McDermott and Beane…..Bringing his stupid notebook thinking they’d be impressed by that.  The only thing in the binder were doodles he drew at the airport. 

1AF18384-DA7D-42C9-AEC1-2BED72CA4856.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 5

52 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

They didn’t NEED to take Elam.  Benford is more proof that McD can coach up DBs. That was my argument against a first round corner and I still stand by it.

How about now?

35 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think this storyline has gotten way overblown. Benford has gotten beat plenty of times too, but because he's a 6th round pick the positives are unexpected and end up being the headline.

Exactly.

Comments about training camp performance are largely based upon expectations. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.