Bills disappointed in Elam's potential to contribute this year? (unfounded internet rumor)

Einstein

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Eh, I dont know about that. Reporters with that close access to the players hear things for sure.

Sal Capaccaio has said on numerous occasions that he has information that he cant/wont release because he doesnt want to break his close ties tot he organizaiton.

Sal is part of the bills organization. So if it was him specifically, then sure it's possible I suppose.

I guess we will see with Elam.  Is converting from press to zone coverage a difficult thing for a corner?  Would think going the other way (zone to press) could be difficult if the corner does not have the physical ability needed.

If Elam is not a starter at CB in the first game or early in the season (or plays poorly if he does), it will be a big disappointment.  We have had some high round draft picks at CB play well in their first season (Winfield, Clements and Tre).  Others, not so much (McKelvin).  Elam seems to have the desire and athleticism to succeed, but if he does not play well in his first season, I will be concerned about his long-term prospects, since there are a lot of examples of first round drafted CBs contributing immediately.  I get it that there is a learning curve for first year players, particularly at certain positions (such as QB), but we really need Elam to be a player this year.

Edited by jahnyc
language fix

43 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Tough to trust random people on the internet but I found this story from a fan potentially concerning. The fan who wrote this has been a member of that Bills forum for 19 years, so I'm hoping he wouldn't just make this up.

"One of the beat writers was at a wedding I was at this past weekend. Not gonna say who. He 'says' that word around camp is that Elam isn’t anywhere near where the Bills had hoped in terms of starting week one or contributing." (link)

I know there have been reports that he has struggled at times, but I hadn't yet seen anything that indicates that the Bills are realizing that Elam is just not ready to contribute. Especially upsetting with reports than McDuffie has looked impressive in Chiefs camp. 

But we HAD to take a first round corner. More proof that you don’t draft for need, especially in the first. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Y’all who feel the need, cuddle up with your unfounded concern, I’m gonna go make another cup of coffee ️ 

Go Bills!!!

3 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

But we HAD to take a first round corner. More proof that you don’t draft for need, especially in the first. 

They said they had the only remaining 1st round grade on him and even traded up for him. 

What are we doing here? Most of his reps have been against arguably the top passing duo in the league-the duo that has done really well against the top corners in the league the past 2 years. Not only that, but Josh isn’t allowed to get hit and in some circumstances there’s not even a rush against him! But we are supposed to expect a rookie cb to be playing lights out every snap in training camp??

Again, what are we doing here?

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

They said they had the only remaining 1st round grade on him and even traded up for him. 

Yeah I know. Just saying that they panicked and took him instead of trading down and picking up more picks. There were good corners in round 2 and 3. They didn’t NEED to take Elam.  Benford is more proof that McD can coach up DBs. That was my argument against a first round corner and I still stand by it.

3 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

What are we doing here? Most of his reps have been against arguably the top passing duo in the league-the duo that has done really well against the top corners in the league the past 2 years. Not only that, but Josh isn’t allowed to get hit and in some circumstances there’s not even a rush against him! But we are supposed to expect a rookie cb to be playing lights out every snap in training camp??

He will be going against other professional qbs and receivers every week. They will be scouting his weaknesses and exploiting them. Don’t act like this isn’t something to be concerned about. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

Yeah I know. Just saying that they panicked and took him instead of trading down and picking up more picks. There were good corners in round 2 and 3. They didn’t NEED to take Elam.  Benford is more proof that McD can coach up DBs. That was my argument against a first round corner and I still stand by it.

Yeah there were good corners in rounds 2 and 3.  Instead of waiting for those rounds they chose to trade up for the CB they had a 1st grade on.

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Yeah I know. Just saying that they panicked and took him 

If I were to guess based on the very little we know, that would be my guess.

I think Beane said Elam was the last first round grade they had on a player. Am I remembering that correctly? 

If so, then It would be understandable that they may have jumped on him.

7 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

I’m not concerned with fan opinions but IF the Bills organization truly don’t think he’s ready to contribute, then that is obviously concerning.

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

He will be going against other professional qbs and receivers every week. They will be scouting his weaknesses and exploiting them. Don’t act like this isn’t something to be concerned about. 

It’s also not something to overreact about either. He’s not facing Allen/Diggs caliber duos every week. He will also be given help during a game.  Neither of these things have been true during training camp. I’ve seen videos of virtually every rookie corner getting burned during camp so far, it’s all part of the learning process. If it’s still happening a couple of weeks into the season that’s a different story, but it should be expected he will struggle against Allen and Diggs. 

8 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

They panicked?  I doubt they panicked. lol.

Just now, gobills404 said:

He’s gonna be an immediate starter just like every other McBeane 1st round pick

I heard Tre White won't be ready until week 2 or 3 at this rate. So yes, Elam might be starting but it won't be because he's ready. Dane Jackson has been getting torched on the daily in camp and he's currently our #1 corner. Yikes

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.