This Date In Transactions History: Bills Trade Sammy Watkins, Ronald Darby

Punching Bag

13 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I understood even at the time all the moves for the most part. 
The biggest puzzler to me was Jonathan Williams. It still bugs me. Not sure why, he wasn’t a high pick or anything and I wasn’t like a big fan or anything. I just couldn’t grasp cutting a guy who makes next to nothing on a rookie deal on a team with little talent. 

Well he sure proved Beane wrong by being an elite...wait..no, no he was not good. Not good at all...

edit: But, I do understand as there were a lot of posters on her scratching their head on that one as he had showed an iota of talent.

Edited by MiltonWaddams
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I remember that day so we’ll… I live in Eagles country and my annoying neighbor decided he would roll by and poke fun at how the Bills were falling apart…we need just 1 damn super bowl!

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Marlton Bills said:

I remember that day so we’ll… I live in Eagles country and my annoying neighbor decided he would roll by and poke fun at how the Bills were falling apart…we need just 1 damn super bowl!

When we get that SB....I hope we are not as damn annoying as the pricks in Philly were after they got theirs.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Well he sure proved Beane wrong by being an elite...wait..no, no he was not good. Not good at all...

edit: But, I do understand as there were a lot of posters on her scratching their head on that one as he had showed an iota of talent.

I didn’t think he’d be a great, other than not fitting the locker room there’s nothing to gain letting him go. Especially when we ran Tolbert out there on dead legs. Kudos to williams though, he’s still in the league. Definitely not many running backs that hang around this long as a fringe roster guy. 

26 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

Let's take a look at how this was received at the time....

I learned one thing in that thread we should all take note of: @ScottLaw has NEVER liked McDermott.  His first comment: "Coach McEgo knows more than everyone."

Well, Scott, he sure as hell knows more than you.  :lol:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

One of the greatest leadership books I ever read about a guy who was sent in to fix failing companies talked about the first thing you have to do when you get to a new place is to identify the wrong people you need to get OFF the bus prior to getting the right people on the bus.

Pretty much exactly what happened there.

whats the name on that? always looking for a read

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I understood even at the time all the moves for the most part. 
The biggest puzzler to me was Jonathan Williams. It still bugs me. Not sure why, he wasn’t a high pick or anything and I wasn’t like a big fan or anything. I just couldn’t grasp cutting a guy who makes next to nothing on a rookie deal on a team with little talent. 

oh man forgot that one!  Wake up Beane hahaha

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

Let's take a look at how this was received at the time....

Some takes in there for sure

15 minutes ago, eball said:

I learned one thing in that thread we should all take note of: @ScottLaw has NEVER liked McDermott.  His first comment: "Coach McEgo knows more than everyone."

Dude's nothing if not consistent.

I'll give him that.

17 minutes ago, eball said:

LOL!  Where did "McEgo" come from?  It was the end of pre-season of his first 7 months with the team.

Few thoughts

A. That old thread was amazing!

B. Even if you took the picks out if equation,, and they were player for player, we STILL would've came out atleast even.

Sammy was a dumpster fire who didn't do much, we got a 2nd, and Gaines was pretty damn solid when healthy (not often).

Darby bounced around a bunch, is he even in league? In fairness I doubt Matthews is!

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Funny everyone thought that meant we were tanking

Nobody knew what this team was going to be in 2017 after yet another regime change just a few years after the last one with Rex Ryan.

And both Beane and McD have pretty much admitting that they felt it was going to be a transition/rebuilding year which is why said trades were made, but were able to sneak into the playoffs after hot start combined with a fateful Andy Dalton pass on 4th and 17 in the waning minutes of a game all of Bills nation was watching intently.

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Some takes in there for sure

Dude's nothing if not consistent.

I'll give him that.

So is Montezuma's Revenge if you live in certain areas of the world.

One mod who no longer posts told me once that Jerry Sullivan had an alias for posting on this board and I wonder how the two of them would compete in a game of Limbo to see how low they could go.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Few thoughts

B. Even if you took the picks out if equation,, and they were player for player, we STILL would've came out atleast even.

Sammy was a dumpster fire who didn't do much, we got a 2nd, and Gaines was pretty damn solid when healthy (not often).

Darby bounced around a bunch, is he even in league? In fairness I doubt Matthews is!

Sammy was a very expensive dumpster fire which got a ring with Chiefs.

Darby also got a ring with the Eagles.

He played for Bills for 2 years, Eagles for 3, WTF for 1 and is probably ending career playing 11 games for Denver in 2021.

He was injured in training camp in 2022 with a chest contusion and did not see any games where he played in 2022.

He is still on roster for Denver, 3rd year of a 3 year/$30 million contract.

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Few thoughts

Darby tore an ACL in Philadelphia.  Eventually spent a year in Washington and played well enough to get a 3 yr deal with Denver for $30M.  He has started 11,16,11 games the last three years. He has had a decent if unspectacular career.  A bit disappointing for a second round pick but far from a bust.  Far better than Ford and Epenesa to date. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.