Malik Willis is going to be a problem

bills6969

Lot of unwarranted hype over guys like Willis, Lance, etc especially when you see the JA17 comparisons.

I still don't see him starting this year though unless Tannenhill truly struggles and/or the Titans get off to a bad start record wise. Could see a similar situation playing out like the 2018 Ravens when Lamar Jackson replaced a declining Flacco and led them to the playoffs down the stretch.

Watched the replay of the game this morning. Willis looked horrible. Late on his reads, no rhythm, bailing out of the pocket too early, inaccurate.... tons of room to grow, for sure. Not sure Vrabel and Co. are the right group to get a franchise QB out of him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I don’t know if Willis has what it takes to be a great NFL QB, but I’m not convinced anyone will develop into one with Vrabel as head coach. Vrabel doesn’t seem to have the temperament of a great NFL coach. 

To the bolded above, most close NFL observers think very highly of Vrabel. If Vrabel is unsuccessful in grooming Willis it won't have to do with Vrabel's "temperament." It'll probably have more to do with Todd Downing and Tim Kelly.... those in charge of the offensive Xs and Os.

10 hours ago, Utah John said:

I'm wondering if he's going to be a bigger problem for the Titans than for the rest of the league.  Flashes like these highlights coupled with poor performance in other plays will just tear the fan base and possibly the team apart.  Many of the fans will cling to Tannahill, and there's nothing like a QB controversy to wreck a team's season.

10 hours ago, Doc said:

Yeah.  Pre-season hype builds the backup QB to megastar levels and the boo-birds come out when Tannehill struggles this year without AJ Brown.

Vrabel said he pulled Willis because he wouldn't throw the football to open receivers. I highly doubt Vrabel is going to abet a QB controversy when he's doing everything he can to tamp one down.

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The only time you should throw the ball if is the WR is wide, wide, wide open.

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

Ball protection.  It's underrated.

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It's the key to winning.

So having a QB who "plays it safe" is the key to winning? Highly disagree. The great QBs understand risk : reward and make good decisions in those contexts... in other words they take chances. Also great QBs throw receivers open. Also great QBs are accurate enough to complete passes in tightly-contested situations.

Playing it safe doesn't work for an NFL QB. If it were that simple... 

9 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Don't forget Jake Locker.  Another super athletic QB that couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.

Time has muddled your memory... Jay Clocker is his name.

7 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Daboll passed on the poor man’s Josh three straight rounds. Amazing. 

Daboll was hired largely to save the Giants investment in Daniel Jones (6th overall in 2019) by developing his talents.

He was not hired to undermine Jones.

If Jones flops this year, then the Giants move on next year.

13 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Vrabel said he pulled Willis because he wouldn't throw the football to open receivers. I highly doubt Vrabel is going to abet a QB controversy when he's doing everything he can to tamp one down.

Sure he doesn't want to start one.  But it depends on how Tannehill looks.  No doubt the fans are starting to get restless and Henry won't be a workhorse all that much longer.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

“best QB on the roster”, Sean McD 2018

Sadly, it was things like this that made me doubt if McDermott's regime could successfully identify or develop any QB, Josh included.

Thank sweet baby Jesus Josh's own determination & work ethic overcame the odds 😅

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I was pretty underwhelmed by Willis, Lance and Love. Each had a highlight play (one long ball a piece I believe), but otherwise it looked uninspired.

I don't know if this is due to it just being preseason (and game one at that) or bring spoiled by Allen. Probably both, as well as the off-season being peak "highlight" season without watching all the incompletions...

3 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

To the bolded above, most close NFL observers think very highly of Vrabel. If Vrabel is unsuccessful in grooming Willis it won't have to do with Vrabel's "temperament." It'll probably have more to do with Todd Downing and Tim Kelly.... those in charge of the offensive Xs and Os.

So having a QB who "plays it safe" is the key to winning? Highly disagree. The great QBs understand risk : reward and make good decisions in those contexts... in other words they take chances. Also great QBs throw receivers open. Also great QBs are accurate enough to complete passes in tightly-contested situations.

Daboll was hired largely to save the Giants investment in Daniel Jones (6th overall in 2019) by developing his talents.

Quotes for days!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

On one hand, Vrabel's temperament can't be all wrong, seeing as his team consistently overachieves for 17 games each season. Then again, their criminal mishandling of A.J. Brown's entire career to date tugs us in a slightly different direction, especially in light of playoff results.

I'm reminded of hard-ass defensive-minded HCs who did a poor job of supporting their young QBs...Mike Singletary and Brian Flores, for example. Lots of benchings and public criticisms. Maybe Jeff Fisher (benching Jared Goff) compared with Sean McVay (making him an effective pre-snap marionette). Giving your young QB some ***** slack seems really effing important these days.   

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

On one hand, Vrabel's temperament can't be all wrong, seeing as his team consistently overachieves for 17 games each season. Then again, their criminal mishandling of A.J. Brown's entire career to date tugs us in a slightly different direction, especially in light of playoff results.

I'm reminded of hard-ass defensive-minded HCs who did a poor job of supporting their young QBs...Mike Singletary and Brian Flores, for example. Lots of benchings and public criticisms. Maybe Jeff Fisher (benching Jared Goff) compared with Sean McVay (making him an effective pre-snap marionette). Giving your young QB some ***** slack seems really effing important these days.   

They drafted A.J. Brown in the second round and made him one of the most feared receivers in football despite him being somewhat injury-prone and playing on a run-first team.

And virtually the only meaningful success in Tannehill's career has come in his 3 seasons under Vrabel.

I don't know if Vrabel's capable of being a QB and passer-friendly head coach but I think it's too early to say that he can't.

• Like (+1) 1

Willis has talent, but I am not sure he ends up being anything more than the next Tyrod Taylor. Honestly, that's exactly who he reminds me of. He throws a decent ball outside of the hashes, but struggles a lot over the middle of the field and with reading defenses. I'm not sure if he has trouble seeing his guys, or if he doesn't process quickly enough, or if he doesn't understand timing routes, or if he doesn't trust his arm to throw the ball to an opening to let the receiver go get it. You saw it at Liberty as well. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.