Malik Willis is going to be a problem

bills6969

2 hours ago, uraloony said:

I'm watching Sports Center and they had his highlights, which made him look amazing. Watching the game live though, he really struggled significantly with accuracy and composure in the pocket. I do see these flashes of brilliance, and if the Titans can develop him well, especially with the accuracy/reads portion, the young man could have a very bright future!

It all matters, like you said, how well he develops as a passer.  

He might be a good passer, he might not.   As far as his running, yes, he is dangerous. Just remember, a flashy, exciting to watch 20 yard QB scramble is just as valuable as a simple 15 yard crossing patter completion where they WR falls forward to get 20 yards.

Sure, a mobile QB has to be accounted for which may open up things downfield, but he has to make those completions.  

12 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

So he got chased out of the pocket and ran for a first down....the horror.

I don’t know if Willis has what it takes to be a great NFL QB, but I’m not convinced anyone will develop into one with Vrabel as head coach. Vrabel doesn’t seem to have the temperament of a great NFL coach. 

Malik Willis is going to be a problem

I'm wondering if he's going to be a bigger problem for the Titans than for the rest of the league.  Flashes like these highlights coupled with poor performance in other plays will just tear the fan base and possibly the team apart.  Many of the fans will cling to Tannahill, and there's nothing like a QB controversy to wreck a team's season.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I'm wondering if he's going to be a bigger problem for the Titans than for the rest of the league.  Flashes like these highlights coupled with poor performance in other plays will just tear the fan base and possibly the team apart.  Many of the fans will cling to Tannahill, and there's nothing like a QB controversy to wreck a team's season.

Yeah.  Pre-season hype builds the backup QB to megastar levels and the boo-birds come out when Tannehill struggles this year without AJ Brown.

I remember Tyrod Taylor having an even better run, in fact a couple of them, against the Titans in an actual game that meant something.

So what?

I hope that this board doesn't start getting flooded with "great" plays during practices and pre-season games.

Edited by Beast

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I just saw on Sportscenter that he held the ball for an average of 3.98 seconds before delivering the football?  That's insane.

This gives me flashbacks of the Tuh-ROD era.  I yelled "THROW THE GODDAMN BALL!!" so much, I think my dog thought it was her name.

• Haha (+1) 5

1 hour ago, CookieG said:

Every Pass and Run from him last night.

IDK..there are times he might have stayed in the pocket a little longer, but to me, for the most part, his Oline wasn't doing him many favors.  He took one sack outside the tackle box that he should have thrown away, but there were also times when he avoided a sack that few QB's could. 

I thought he showed decent accuracy on the run and nice touch.  He's a rookie in his first playing time.  I've seen far worse from rookie QB's in that situation.

I had only previously seen the sidearm pass (which was pretty nifty).  Based off these full highlights, he, understandably, has a LONG WAY TO GO.  Happy feet and terrible pocket presence.  Looks to run at the first sign of trouble and was running himself into sacks/negative plays.  On the plus side, he has raw athleticism and is an instinctive runner in the open field, and seems to have good arm strength (that 25 yard laser across the field to No. 12 near the end of the 2nd quarter was impressive and reminded me of early Josh).  Raw tools seem to be there.  As others have said though, it's going to take a lot of time and really comes down to what he has between the ears and if he can get the game to slow down for him.   I'm not one to write anyone off after a couple of quarters (or even a few games) of football, but I'd say he won't be a "problem" for AFC teams until 2024 at the earliest.

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Like (+1) 1

I was really hoping he'd go to Detroit. If he turned out to be good I'd be happy for those guys and enjoy watching him play as he is an exciting player (whether of not he progresses to efficient passer, we'll see). 

Playing for the Titans who I strongly dislike makes me hope he busts. At least if he is good I won't have to look at this face anymore 

fantasy-football-week-13-ryan-tannehill.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.