Cannabis consumption on track to overtake alcohol

PromoTheRobot

On 11/4/2022 at 9:13 PM, Bray Wyatt said:

Oh no this isn’t like that, it has to do with where they extract the thc from. You can get thc from hemp and weed that is the same. Getting it from hemp is legal in Tennessee but not from marijuana.

see if things like delta 8:

Delta-8 tetrahydrocannabinol, also known as delta-8 THC, is a psychoactive substance found in the Cannabis sativa plant, of which marijuana and hemp are two varieties. Delta-8 THC is one of over 100 cannabinoids produced naturally 

Yes, Delta 8 is a different isomer of THC (double bond is in a different position). It’s naturally occurring in the plant but in very small quantities so it’s typically made from CBD via some fairly simple chemistry. Making it from hemp derived CBD exploits a loophole of the 2018 farm bill which was surprisingly upheld by a federal court of appeals a couple months back. It’s psychoactive but potency is around 40% less than delta 9 THC.

On 11/6/2022 at 10:35 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

A close friend of my has severe epilepsy.  Also suffered with depression his whole life.  He was on 13 different medications for the epilepsy, mood disorder, and other stuff for most of his life.  When he was in his late 20s he connected with a “progressive” medical doctor who suggested he try using cannabis in controlled amounts to treat some of his ailments.  He is now in his mid-40s and is no longer taking any medications.

The most robust evidence for cannabis as a therapeutic is related to its treatment of certain forms of epilepsy. Epidiolex is an FDA approved pure CBD formulation that’s used to treat a couple seizure disorders. 

• Like (+1) 1

I've only smoked weed once, and it wasn't the best experience of my life. I felt the stone effect, so while my friends were lying on the floor laughing, I was frozen in time. I remember how hard it was to activate the muscles in my face to smile. I ran away from that company and walked down the street listening to metal songs in my headphones. It was more interesting because nothing else exists in the head apart from music. When I told my girlfriend about it, she threw a tantrum, lol. She threatened me with forced detox on fherehab.com. She was lucky because I never felt the urge to do it again. I'm afraid of feeling the same.

Edited by decsmarg

10 hours ago, decsmarg said:

I've only smoked weed once, and it wasn't the best experience of my life. I felt the stone effect, so while my friends were lying on the floor laughing, I was frozen in time. I remember how hard it was to activate the muscles in my face to smile. I ran away from that company and walked down the street listening to metal songs in my headphones. It was more interesting because nothing else exists in the head apart from music. When I told my girlfriend about it, she threw a tantrum, lol. She threatened me with forced detox on fherehab.com. She was lucky because I never felt the urge to do it again. I'm afraid of feeling the same.

Is your girlfriend's name Exiled in Illinois, by chance?

• Haha (+1) 2

On 11/12/2022 at 5:38 PM, billsfanmiamioh said:

Yes, Delta 8 is a different isomer of THC (double bond is in a different position). It’s naturally occurring in the plant but in very small quantities so it’s typically made from CBD via some fairly simple chemistry. Making it from hemp derived CBD exploits a loophole of the 2018 farm bill which was surprisingly upheld by a federal court of appeals a couple months back. It’s psychoactive but potency is around 40% less than delta 9 THC.

The most robust evidence for cannabis as a therapeutic is related to its treatment of certain forms of epilepsy. Epidiolex is an FDA approved pure CBD formulation that’s used to treat a couple seizure disorders. 

They had delta 9 and delta 10 gummies here as well, what is the difference between them (you seem more in tune with it than I)? It seems they are in the loophole as well.

15 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

They had delta 9 and delta 10 gummies here as well, what is the difference between them (you seem more in tune with it than I)? It seems they are in the loophole as well.

Delta 9 is THE main compound we’re talking about when we talk about THC. Guessing what you saw is another product that’s hemp derived and is rolling the dice on the legal loophole.

Delta 10 is just another isomer (more similar to delta 8 than delta 9). It’s also naturally occurring in the plant but in very small quantities so it’s also usually made synthetically. All these “isomers” have the same molecular formula but differ in how the atoms are arranged. This leads to different binding interactions and different physiological effects. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Funny story. I work at a high security DoD facility. There is another large building across the street that was formerly an oil and gas geological reseach facility. That company moved to a new facility and the building sat empty for a couple of years. Eventually, we started seeing a small number of apparent employees coming and going. Then one day, BOOM, the pungent skunky aroma of reefer filled the air! It has never left since. It is a giant indoor grow op. It is histerical listening to my unexperienced coworkers complain about the smell.

We are at the airport, and the zoo is one mile to the north. Depending on atmospheric conditions and wind, we are usually subjected to the smells of jet exhaust, kind  bud, or elephant *****, LOL. I like two of those three odors.

Edited by BUFFALOKIE
  • Haha (+1) 2

On 11/4/2022 at 7:55 PM, Bray Wyatt said:

It’s interesting here in Tennessee that while weed is illegal you can still get gummies and things like that at stores as they are made from the hemp part of the plant and is a loophole in the law here

Is it the ‘ol THC-O loophole?  Synthetic THC.  Stuff is not good, IMO.  Took a bit of THC-O edibles on Saturday whist watching the Sabres game.  Was not a good buzz.  Just felt weird and stupid….

39 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Is it the ‘ol THC-O loophole?  Synthetic THC.  Stuff is not good, IMO.  Took a bit of THC-O edibles on Saturday whist watching the Sabres game.  Was not a good buzz.  Just felt weird and stupid….

A buddies son did the synthetic in high school and the kid he was with had to be taken to the hospital. Not good AT ALL. That wasn’t the only case like that. It was “a thing” for a while. 

4 hours ago, ViksHrks said:

Wow, it's interesting to see that cannabis consumption may be on track to overtake alcohol. While it's important to remember that both can be harmful in excess, I've personally had some great experiences with cannabis.

It should be mentioned that the web site and the report claiming that cannabis consumption may be on track to overtake alcohol are coming from the cannabis industry. Thus, you should expect some bias. I am sure that beer producers can present you with lots of papers showing that cannabis consumption does not make a dent in their business.

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

A buddies son did the synthetic in high school and the kid he was with had to be taken to the hospital. Not good AT ALL. That wasn’t the only case like that. It was “a thing” for a while. 

The illicit synthetics are very dangerous. Completely unregulated and could have been made by any amateur chemist. The main active compounds used for many of them were created in a lab by John W. Huffman, an accomplished chemist who was doing research on Cannabinoids.

Somewhere along the way, people realized they were full agonists at the CB1 and CB2 receptors (THC only a partial agonist at CB1, the receptor which is responsible for psychoactive effects). In addition to being full agonists, they are much more potent as well. This combination can lead to effects that are very different than those seen with naturally occurring Cannabinoids. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I believe this THC-O stuff is different that what you’re thinking of, but yes…In my mind “synthetic” usually means stay away.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I believe this THC-O stuff is different that what you’re thinking of, but yes…In my mind “synthetic” usually means stay away.

The THC-O is also synthetic. They extract CBD from legal hemp, then convert to delta 8 thc. Then they add an acetate group to the molecule using acetic anhydride. It’s a “Wild West” type product just like the illicit Cannabinoids (spice, K2, voodoo).

I would steer clear or at least be very selective about where it’s coming from. I’d definitely look into the manufacturer. Does it pass the smell test? Is there a product label or any results of analytical testing? (Highly doubt it)

Oh and not all synthetics are “bad”. There are FDA approved cannabinoid drug products that are totally synthetically derived. 

Edited by billsfanmiamioh
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/15/2022 at 3:58 AM, decsmarg said:

77062ACE-41CE-4F33-BA12-684B95AB5481.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.