Cannabis consumption on track to overtake alcohol

PromoTheRobot

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

First of all, @ExiledInIllinois and I bust each other’s chops all the time.  We’ve been “friends” on this board for as long as I remember.  Hell, we even share the same birthday (even though he’s like 30 years older than I).

Secondly, I’m sorry if it makes your heart hurt, but the phrase “You’re an idiot” is a long-standing TBDism recognized by most board members as humorous.  

Next, while I do poke fun and tease playfully, I have been open to EII’s viewpoints in this thread.  Even though his presence in this thread had been bordering on crusading, IMO, which is against the TOS.  Please read my posts before you judge me.  I even wrote at some point in this thread “I think there are some legitimate questions to be asked here” acknowledging his potential concerns.  While I have an opinion on many things, I don’t pretend to know everything.

Lastly, as much as I have no idea who you are and I know nothing about you, I will still respect you as a board member.  That said, don’t try to be a moderator.  If you have a problem with anything I am writing, please feel free to block me or report me.  I’ve been here since April of 2009.  I know the ropes pretty well.

Thanks, Muppy 😊 

fof goodness sakes all that from my post? I have no reason to block you. This is a tempest in a teapot.  SMH

• 4 weeks later...

Figured I would circle back on this topic and post a couple of good resources that were shared in my program. Both videos are short and provide a good illustration of some of the pros and cons of cannabis use. This is obviously an extremely active area of debate, with many differing opinions from many different areas of the medical field.

I am a proponent of medicinal and responsible adult cannabis use, but I am enjoying getting some of the alternative perspectives from this particular course which is devoted entirely to negative effects of cannabis. There are MANY known and potential benefits of cannabis, but like any other psychoactive substance, there are also associated risks. The more we research and understand about cannabis, hopefully the more we will be able to identify and mitigate those risks in people who are most susceptible. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlcr1jd_Tok

https://www.coursera.org/lecture/addiction-treatment/decide-if-cannabis-use-can-lead-to-disordered-use-Iu7Kd?utm_source=link&utm_medium=page_share&utm_content=vlp&utm_campaign=top_button

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Figured I would circle back on this topic and post a couple of good resources that were shared in my program. Both videos are short and provide a good illustration of some of the pros and cons of cannabis use. This is obviously an extremely active area of debate, with many differing opinions from many different areas of the medical field.

I am a proponent of medicinal and responsible adult cannabis use, but I am enjoying getting some of the alternative perspectives from this particular course which is devoted entirely to negative effects of cannabis. There are MANY known and potential benefits of cannabis, but like any other psychoactive substance, there are also associated risks. The more we research and understand about cannabis, hopefully the more we will be able to identify and mitigate those risks in people who are most susceptible. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlcr1jd_Tok

https://www.coursera.org/lecture/addiction-treatment/decide-if-cannabis-use-can-lead-to-disordered-use-Iu7Kd?utm_source=link&utm_medium=page_share&utm_content=vlp&utm_campaign=top_button

There are risks to Aspirin...many, many.  Tinnitus is not fun but bleeding out can kill u.  I'm certain that susceptible people might worsen underlying psych issues but likely more would improve their condition especially for anxiety.   The bad responders will figure it out fast.  CBD has well studied positive effects on epilepsy.  But the convincing positive health results are admittedly often overstated.  I think there's a fair balance right now with grow your own in states that allow it.  More open distribution just means more money for the vultures.

27 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I gave it up, years ago. My tolerance to it, is ridiculous. One hit, and I am in la-la land. I could never drive a car in that condition, but nearly every day, the driver of a car in front of me, is huffing on stinkweed. I don't know how they do it. Being high behind the wheel, is the same as a DWI, in NYS. If I can smell it, so can the cops...

It's amazing how smoke travels, cannabis or otherwise, from car to car on a highway.

Funny your tolerance decreased. I don't do that much but mine increased.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's amazing how smoke travels, cannabis or otherwise, from car to car on a highway.

Funny your tolerance decreased. I don't do that much but mine increased.

When I had a motorcycle, I rode with a helmet with no facemask.  I could be riding 60 mph and a car with a smoker could drive past me at the same speed going in the opposite direction and I'd always smell it.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

When I had a motorcycle, I rode with a helmet with no facemask.  I could be riding 60 mph and a car with a smoker could drive past me at the same speed going in the opposite direction and I'd always smell it.

My parents both smoked cigarettes.  When I'd go home, I was overwhelmed with the smoke smell...carpet, drapes, furniture.  Everywhere.

• 1 month later...

Interesting study: "Pain & The Mary Jane."  The ones on it have worse pain after surgery and require more opioids.  The numbers aren't major but they are there.

Makes sense I suppose. A crutch needs a crutch. Body looking to mask the pain with something like it's used to... Just need more drugs to manage the pain.

https://neurosciencenews.com/pain-cannabis-surgery-21701/

“...Our study shows that adults who use cannabis are having more — not less — postoperative pain. Consequently, they have higher opioid consumption after surgery.  ...”

"...Researchers analyzed the records of 34,521 adult patients — 1,681 of them cannabis users — who had elective surgeries at Cleveland Clinic from January 2010 to December 2020. The cannabis users had used the drug within 30 days before surgery, while the other patients had never used cannabis.

The patients who used cannabis experienced 14% more pain during the first 24 hours after surgery compared to the patients who never used cannabis.

Additionally, patients who used cannabis consumed 7% more opioids after surgery, which the authors note was not statistically significant, but is likely clinically relevant.  ..."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.