Cannabis consumption on track to overtake alcohol

PromoTheRobot

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Eating it is a different story.  It is much more intense, and a deep body high.  I was hired as a weed chef at a dispensary here, but I accepted another job offer.  When edibles are consumed, the thc is processed by your liver, instead of your lungs.  Eating weed is my favorite buzz.  But it you have to watch the mg.  Some people have strong reactions from small amounts.  It takes 45 minutes+ for effects after consuming.  Often I will eat an edible, go about my day, the an hour later I’ll be thinking “man I feel so good.”  Then I remember I ate an edible an hour before lol

I'm at the point where I won't eat it unless I decarbed and baked it myself so I know what and how much is in it.

1 hour ago, Success said:

They both have drawbacks in terms of health and negative impact - but imo, alcohol is much worse.  I rarely see stoned dudes starting brawls or trashing property.  I'm not sure if they even jump through tables.

I disagree.  With pot we're still learning what DUI is and is not.  With both it has to be zero tolerance.  Don't operate things while drugged by any means.

I see stoned dudes sinking boats and blocking navigation.  At least with drunks they just fly right out of way.  Stoned people just malinger and are slow as molasses and make more basic cognition mistakes.  It's becoming a problem because they don't know where they're at and you don't know if they are sober or not. Get to that stage w/alcohol and they usually aren't operating, someone else is because DUI awareness has been beat into society's skull.

Honestly, I'd rather see them starting a fight or causing a ruckus, because it draws your attention to get away or get them to be pulled over.  You never know who's stoned and not processing things.  At least in my line of work, it makes things harder.  With a drunk it's obvious. Pot is totally legal here and you never know who's under the influence. Are they just effing with you, clueless, or in a drugged out stupor?  Stealth DUI sucks from where I am coming from.

We have our work cut out for us. Replacing one problem with another.  And... When we do that, things don't usually go well!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

20 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I disagree.  With pot we're still learning what DUI is and is not.  With both it has to be zero tolerance.  Don't operate things while drugged by any means.

I see stoned dudes sinking boats and blocking navigation.  At least with drunks they just fly right out of way.  Stoned people just malinger and are slow as molasses and make more basic cognition mistakes.  It's becoming a problem because they don't know where they're at and you don't know if they are sober or not. Get to that stage w/alcohol and they usually aren't operating, someone else is because DUI awareness has been beat into society's skull.

Honestly, I'd rather see them starting a fight or causing a ruckus, because it draws your attention to get away or get them to be pulled over.  You never know who's stoned and not processing things.  At least in my line of work, it makes things harder.  With a drunk it's obvious. Pot is totally legal here and you never know who's under the influence. Are they just effing with you, clueless, or in a drugged out stupor?  Stealth DUI sucks from where I am coming from.

We have our work cut out for us. Replacing one problem with another.  And... When we do that, things don't usually go well!

People under the influence of THC are an annoyance for lock babysitters.  Got it.  I think you need to smoke a bowl before work and maybe you’d have a little more patience.  Just don’t run over your foot with the lawnmower! 😘

• Haha (+1) 5

50 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

People under the influence of THC are an annoyance for lock babysitters.  Got it.  I think you need to smoke a bowl before work and maybe you’d have a little more patience.  Just don’t run over your foot with the lawnmower! 😘

It really is funny, till someone actually dies.  It's not at all about patience, would you think the same with a DUI on the road, we should have more patience with them... Of course not, you and your family, along with myself and loved ones share the road with them. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It really is funny, till someone actually dies.  It's not at all about patience, would you think the same with a DUI on the road, we should have more patience with them... Of course not, you and your family, along with myself and loved ones share the road with them. 

Lighten up, Shirley.

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Francis.  😏 

It's a problem.  Illinois it's totally recreationally legal, and it shows.  Replacing one problem with another.  Makes everyone's job harder.

It’s completely legal here, and I haven’t heard of one single problem.  Perhaps you’re biased against cannabis users?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Francis.  😏 

It's a problem.  Illinois it's totally recreationally legal, and it shows.  Replacing one problem with another.  Makes everyone's job harder.

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

It’s completely legal here, and I haven’t heard of one single problem.  Perhaps you’re biased against cannabis users?

he shouts to  good number of people who dabble    

it can’t bother him to bad.  
No matter how much he complains. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

he shouts to  good number of people who dabble    

it can’t bother him to bad.  
No matter how much he complains. 

Nothing good can come of it.  It's like taking the "guns approach"... And expecting everyone to be a responsible person.   Just ain't gonna happen.  We are replacing one crutch with another.

12 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

There's more people in my county than the whole state of VT. 😉 

34 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

There's more people in my county than the whole state of VT. 😉 

What the hell does this have to do with anything?  It’s also completely legal in Mass, NJ and Maine.  Show me something to support your claim about legal cannabis being so problematic.  Other than you being a tight wad about it.  Statistics?  Research?  Anything 😉

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/13/2022 at 1:31 PM, Success said:

They both have drawbacks in terms of health and negative impact - but imo, alcohol is much worse.  I rarely see stoned dudes starting brawls or trashing property.  I'm not sure if they even jump through tables.

That table holds my drink man...

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

What the hell does this have to do with anything?  It’s also completely legal in Mass, NJ and Maine.  Show me something to support your claim about legal cannabis being so problematic.  Other than you being a tight wad about it.  Statistics?  Research?  Anything 😉

This ain't gonna end well... I am just smart enough to see it. Alcohol isn't great, but not as dicey. 

https://www.verywellmind.com/can-marijuana-cause-psychosis-5200547

"The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) reports that substance/medication-induced psychotic disorder accounts for between 7% and 25% of all first-time psychotic episodes."

"A study published in the journal The Lancet found that people who smoke high potency marijuana on a daily basis potentially have a five times greater risk of developing psychosis compared to people who have never smoked marijuana."

53 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

This ain't gonna end well... I am just smart enough to see it. Alcohol isn't great, but not as dicey. 

https://www.verywellmind.com/can-marijuana-cause-psychosis-5200547

"The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) reports that substance/medication-induced psychotic disorder accounts for between 7% and 25% of all first-time psychotic episodes."

"A study published in the journal The Lancet found that people who smoke high potency marijuana on a daily basis potentially have a five times greater risk of developing psychosis compared to people who have never smoked marijuana."

Don’t confuse correlation with causation.   I’m not certain, but I think you’re smarter than that, Biff.

59 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Cmon, verywellmind.com is a well respected source for scientific information….😂

The study he’s referencing is actually from a very reputable medical journal.  I would have to read the whole study.  I’d be surprised if they had actual longitudinal evidence connecting daily use of “high potency” marijuana to psychosis.  I’m wondering what they considered in the study to “psychosis.”  The term is so broad.  Also, genetic and environmental factors that would cause someone to develop a dissociative disorder may also cause one to be more apt to use marijuana and other drugs to excess.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Don’t confuse correlation with causation.   I’m not certain, but I think you’re smarter than that, Biff.

I live & work in real-world where personal safety is an issue with stuff like OUI (Operating Under The Influence)... There's going to be some connection with causation.

Alcohol is much easier to manage IMO. We're entering a brave new time.  So much more unknown with individuals and their state of minds.  All I am saying is we should tread carefully. Dealing with a populace who's self-medicating will bring its challenges more than alcohol.

8 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Also, genetic and environmental factors that would cause someone to develop a dissociative disorder may also cause one to be more apt to use marijuana and other drugs to excess.

Or... If illegal push them to more innocuous drugs like alcohol.  Innocuous when it comes to self-medicating. FWIW...

People are psychological walking time-bombs out there.  Now, mix in a wildcard. 😬😬

[I see parallels to the gun debate and personal freedom]

• Disagree 1

8 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

The study he’s referencing is actually from a very reputable medical journal.  I would have to read the whole study.  I’d be surprised if they had actual longitudinal evidence connecting daily use of “high potency” marijuana to psychosis.  I’m wondering what they considered in the study to “psychosis.”  The term is so broad.  Also, genetic and environmental factors that would cause someone to develop a dissociative disorder may also cause one to be more apt to use marijuana and other drugs to excess.

I didn’t even get past the website to see the study was published in the Lancet. I see it was a case control study which inherently will have some bias and probably wouldn’t be considered “high quality” evidence. 

I’ll read it when I get some time but I’m guessing it will have some pretty big holes in it. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.