Cannabis consumption on track to overtake alcohol

PromoTheRobot

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Makes some people paranoid.

Yeah, I'm one of them, actually.

Paranoid, anxious, and bizarrely self loathing.

There's a scene in Curb Your Enthusiasm where Larry David smokes some of his elderly father's cannabis that he has to treat glaucoma. Larry ends up staring in the mirror the whole time, making faces at himself and screaming "I hate you! You bald *****!" 

It's kind of like that.

I was a daily user for 20 years. Not so much any more. Never thought I'd give it up, but here we are. 

It's not quite as bad if I consume the right KIND of cannabis, like a low THC indica. That high THC stuff and any kind of sativa, though? No way in hell.

That said, I've grown to really enjoy high quality CBD. Not that fake, unregulated, garbage-y stuff they sell at shopping malls and Seven Elevens. I'm talking the real, high quality, lab tested CBD. Great for minor pain relief, anti-inflammation, and relaxation, without the zany THC effects.

Edited by Logic

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

There's a scene in Curb Your Enthusiasm where Larry David smokes some of his elderly father's cannabis that he has to treat glaucoma. Larry ends up staring in the mirror the whole time, making faces at himself and screaming "I hate you! You bald *****!" 

It's kind of like that.

I was a daily user for 20 years. Not so much any more. Never thought I'd give it up, but here we are. 

It's not quite as bad if I consume the right KIND of cannabis, like a low THC indica. That high THC stuff and any kind of sativa, though? No way in hell.

fwiw, I've found that effect virtually disappears if I'm out doing something active. Whether it's hiking/biking or splitting firewood or building something or playing cornhole, doing something you can dial in on keeps that annoying introspection at bay. 

I'm actually on the way out to the river right now to spend the day kayaking with a fairly potent sativa, just being outside and doing something interesting makes all the difference in the world. 🤙

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just a little “nugget” I’ll drop here. Most of the indica / sativa stuff is BS. It’s more marketing than anything. Most cannabis cultivars have been very hybridized over time and until more recently a lot of the “record keeping” has been sub par.

You’ll see more terminology of indica or sativa “dominant” now on labeling. Truth is that pretty much everything is some form of hybrid. There are absolutely different combinations of Cannabinoids, terpenes, flavonoids, etc in different cultivars and that’s what leads to the varying effects. THC:CBD ratio is the most important thing to go by when selecting products, not necessarily indica or sativa. 

Also, there’s still plenty of debate among scientists about how to even classify cannabis as a species. The indica / sativa system is more of a general guideline for reasons mentioned above. 

One thing I think will develop in coming years is the continued gathering of genetic information & chemical composition of different cultivars and creating better databases of what combinations work best for various ailments. 

Unfortunately, at this point it’s mostly anecdotal reports from patients and lots of trial and error in tailoring treatment with cannabis. Hopefully as we learn more, it will be easier to better tailor treatments to more specific ailments by using certain cultivars. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Just a little “nugget” I’ll drop here. Most of the indica / sativa stuff is BS. It’s more marketing than anything. Most cannabis cultivars have been very hybridized over time and until more recently a lot of the “record keeping” has been sub par.

You’ll see more terminology of indica or sativa “dominant” now on labeling. Truth is that pretty much everything is some form of hybrid. There are absolutely different combinations of Cannabinoids, terpenes, flavonoids, etc in different cultivars and that’s what leads to the varying effects. THC:CBD ratio is the most important thing to go by when selecting products, not necessarily indica or sativa. 

Also, there’s still plenty of debate among scientists about how to even classify cannabis as a species. The indica / sativa system is more of a general guideline for reasons mentioned above. 

One thing I think will develop in coming years is the continued gathering of genetic information & chemical composition of different cultivars and creating better databases of what combinations work best for various ailments. 

Unfortunately, at this point it’s mostly anecdotal reports from patients and lots of trial and error in tailoring treatment with cannabis. Hopefully as we learn more, it will be easier to better tailor treatments to more specific ailments by using certain cultivars. 

Thnx! Agree...

https://hallucinogens.com/what-are-hallucinogens/is-marijuana-a-hallucinogen/

IMO, we really need to tread carefully.  From the above:

Hallucinogenic Effects of Marijuana:

Although the hallucinogenic effects of marijuana have been, for the most part, considered less than those of other hallucinogens such as PCP, LSD, and mescaline, there is certain degree of unpredictability in every marijuana experience. Marijuana can distort cognitive, emotional, and sensory perceptions in both pleasurable and negative ways and in basically, the same manner that other hallucinogen drugs do by over-stimulating the release of neurotransmitters and disrupting communications between nerve cells.

Hallucinations, paranoia, extreme anxiety, and delusions are possible with heavy marijuana use and since there is a marked ratio of high THC in today’s marijuana, these issues are becoming more common. Most people who use marijuana experience a tranquil and calming effect mixed with elevated moods and senses, but, a person who feels like they are out of touch with reality when they anticipated another effect can have a terrifying experience. Other individuals may display bizarre and unusual behaviors, become incoherent, or appear to be in a trance-like state.

Effects of Marijuana in Adolescent Use

A study by Duke University reported that “fewer adolescents believe that regular cannabis use is harmful to health. Concomitantly, adolescents are initiating cannabis use at younger ages, and more adolescents are using cannabis on a daily basis.” Persistent cannabis use was associated with greater neuropsychological decline and more cognitive problems that have a cascading and lasting impact in these individuals and cessation of use did not fully restore neuropsychological functioning.

FWIW... Full steam ahead in semi-charted waters. What could go wrong?

1 hour ago, Simon said:

fwiw, I've found that effect virtually disappears if I'm out doing something active. Whether it's hiking/biking or splitting firewood or building something or playing cornhole, doing something you can dial in on keeps that annoying introspection at bay. 

I'm actually on the way out to the river right now to spend the day kayaking with a fairly potent sativa, just being outside and doing something interesting makes all the difference in the world. 🤙

+1

Enjoy... Probably "doesn't" need be said, yet it always needs to be said:

160303-A-GC580-021.JPG

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

That sounds more like acid. 

And there in lies a problem.   It reacts with different people in different ways.  Could have been laced with acid, maybe it wasn't.  Is there really only set effects when taking the drug? Most likely not. 

Alcohol is already a huge burden recreational-wise. I am not against it, but just in my line or work (or your's too) ... Or heck anybody out there interacting with the public... That people are wandering around out there medicated.  Titrating their doseages any way they feel.  Just last year a boat sunk in the lock, both guys were stoned bejesus to the gills. They tied static to the wall and "hung up"... Their boat swamped with water. Quite a mess from a simple cognitive mistake. 

I suspect we're gonna see lots of issues until the ability to test people for impairment is achieved?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

And there in lies a problem.   It reacts with different people in different ways.  Could have been laced with acid, maybe it wasn't.  Is there really only set effects when taking the drug? Most likely not. 

Alcohol is already a huge burden recreational-wise. I am not against it, but just in my line or work (or your's too) ... Or heck anybody out there interacting with the public... That people are wandering around out there medicated.  Tritrating their doseages any way they feel.  Just last year a boat sunk in the lock, both guys were stoned bejesus to the gills. They tied static to the wall and "hung up"... Their boat swamped with water. Quite a mess from a simple cognitive mistake. 

I suspect we're gonna see lots of issues until the ability to test people for impairment is achieved?

I agree. I am told that weed today is 10x stronger than it was in the 70s. My fear is people driving around very high.

Even in the old days, weed brownies would get people REALLY stoned out, much higher than smoking it. I also know for a fact that very often, once a person has tripped on LSD, weed can have a much stronger effect. It could actually bring back the feeling of tripping. 

Of course, the above is not from personal experience. I have never touched weed or any other drug, but if I ever did smoke a joint it was close to 45 years ago. 

Today, I would never smoke anything. Cigarettes almost killed me 7 years ago but today I am doing well. I am retired and no longer subject to random testing but smoking any substance is the last thing that I would do. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Thnx! Agree...

https://hallucinogens.com/what-are-hallucinogens/is-marijuana-a-hallucinogen/

IMO, we really need to tread carefully.  From the above:

Hallucinogenic Effects of Marijuana:

Although the hallucinogenic effects of marijuana have been, for the most part, considered less than those of other hallucinogens such as PCP, LSD, and mescaline, there is certain degree of unpredictability in every marijuana experience. Marijuana can distort cognitive, emotional, and sensory perceptions in both pleasurable and negative ways and in basically, the same manner that other hallucinogen drugs do by over-stimulating the release of neurotransmitters and disrupting communications between nerve cells.

Hallucinations, paranoia, extreme anxiety, and delusions are possible with heavy marijuana use and since there is a marked ratio of high THC in today’s marijuana, these issues are becoming more common. Most people who use marijuana experience a tranquil and calming effect mixed with elevated moods and senses, but, a person who feels like they are out of touch with reality when they anticipated another effect can have a terrifying experience. Other individuals may display bizarre and unusual behaviors, become incoherent, or appear to be in a trance-like state.

Effects of Marijuana in Adolescent Use

A study by Duke University reported that “fewer adolescents believe that regular cannabis use is harmful to health. Concomitantly, adolescents are initiating cannabis use at younger ages, and more adolescents are using cannabis on a daily basis.” Persistent cannabis use was associated with greater neuropsychological decline and more cognitive problems that have a cascading and lasting impact in these individuals and cessation of use did not fully restore neuropsychological functioning.

FWIW... Full steam ahead in semi-charted waters. What could go wrong?

clutch your bible and your tissues, the marijuanas as coming !  

• Haha (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I agree. I am told that weed today is 10x stronger than it was in the 70s. My fear is people driving around very high.

Even in the old days, weed brownies would get people REALLY stoned out, much higher than smoking it. I also know for a fact that very often, once a person has tripped on LSD, weed can have a much stronger effect. It could actually bring back the feeling of tripping. 

Of course, the above is not from personal experience. I have never touched weed or any other drug, but if I ever did smoke a joint it was close to 45 years ago. 

Today, I would never smoke anything. Cigarettes almost killed me 7 years ago but today I am doing well. I am retired and no longer subject to random testing but smoking any substance is the last thing that I would do. 

There’s nothing biologically that would cause someone who has taken LSD to have “enhanced” effects from using cannabis (at least what is known at this point). They are totally different signaling systems. THC activates CB1 and CB2 receptors of the endocannabinoid system. The mechanism for receptor systems activated by LSD still aren’t well understood. 

A lot of the negative societal associations with cannabis stem from flat out bad info that gets turned into old wives tales. Cannabis is not without negative effects or risks, and it’s not some magic cure to everything. But in our pill popping, RX drug addicted society what is? 

Cannabis already is and has the potential to be a very beneficial medicine for people with a wide variety of ailments. As the field becomes more legitimized and more research is able to be done, we will hopefully learn more about how to best use it. We’re only scratching the surface. A legal and regulated market with oversight, testing, and product quality control dictated by scientific principals is an important part of the process. 

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yet. People vape and put liquid in their lungs! /smdh Seems like we always find something that is supposed to be less harmful,  yet it ends up more harmful.  I am skeptical when it comes to replacing drugs with other drugs.

Yup! And in my daily life it's people on the water stoned.   Tooling around when they should be paying attention to traffic and that 10,000 ton vessel instead of nature. Being out in the sun all day drinking puts blinders on people, what is marijuana gonna do? Focus in on nature or the task at hand?

Again... Booze got tied to recreational interests... And look at the consequences, the majority of deaths out boating are due to alcohol and not wearing a PFD (life preserver, a type I, II will turn you over in water to breathe in the event your unconscious,  type III might in certain events).  Just wait till pot overtakes alcohol... We won't get the dumb euphoria stuff, but the slow cognitive mistakes. The slow cognitive mistakes are deadlier on water than the road. 

Sorry for being a Debbie Downer. I interact with 10s of thousands of people yearly and a lot sober are just winging it. Drugs (booze, etc...) is always at the center of a serious incident. 

6 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

There’s nothing biologically that would cause someone who has taken LSD to have “enhanced” effects from using cannabis (at least what is known at this point). They are totally different signaling systems. THC activates CB1 and CB2 receptors of the endocannabinoid system. The mechanism for receptor systems activated by LSD still aren’t well understood. 

A lot of the negative societal associations with cannabis stem from flat out bad info that gets turned into old wives tales. Cannabis is not without negative effects or risks, and it’s not some magic cure to everything. But in our pill popping, RX drug addicted society what is? 

Cannabis already is and has the potential to be a very beneficial medicine for people with a wide variety of ailments. As the field becomes more legitimized and more research is able to be done, we will hopefully learn more about how to best use it. We’re only scratching the surface. A legal and regulated market with oversight, testing, and product quality control dictated by scientific principals is an important part of the process. 

Fair enough... But they are titrating the doses themselves.  Most pill poppers may have a doctor behind them.   Well I hope.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Logic said:

It's kind of like that.

That said, I've grown to really enjoy high quality CBD. Not that fake, unregulated, garbage-y stuff they sell at shopping malls and Seven Elevens. I'm talking the real, high quality, lab tested CBD. Great for minor pain relief, anti-inflammation, and relaxation, without the zany THC effects.

That episode cracked me the hell up. I wake up with new aches and pains every day. I avoid Tylenol, Advil, and and all that stuff and just deal with it, but I may give the CBD a try. What brand do you use?

1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

That episode cracked me the hell up. I wake up with new aches and pains every day. I avoid Tylenol, Advil, and and all that stuff and just deal with it, but I may give the CBD a try. What brand do you use?

I’ve got a bad shoulder so I picked up some roll-on CBD stuff recently in NC. I’m not sure if it really works, or if it’s my imagination…..but it smells suspiciously like BenGay!  😂 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’ve got a bad shoulder so I picked up some roll-on CBD stuff recently in NC. I’m not sure if it really works, or if it’s my imagination…..but it smells suspiciously like BenGay!  😂 

Does it keep the mosquitoes away?  Blend some Love's Baby Soft in there! 

[THANK me if you get lucky tonight]

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Does it keep the mosquitoes away?  Blend some Love's Baby Soft in there! 

[THANK me if you get lucky tonight]

Sure, but don’t hold your breath….  

😪

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Draconator said:

I haven't tried liquid THC. I was under the impression that it would be in any form. 

I discussed with my psychiatrist at the time of using Cannabis as treatment for my Bipolar symptoms. She then signed a letter for me to get my medical marijuana card, and told me to smoke every day for a month and report back to her how I was doing. I also had to give her articles from non pro-cannabis publications on how cannabis would lower Bipolar symptoms. The experiment lasted 3 weeks before I had to stop. 

This is the stuff.  I get it in Maine.

307722220_LGSquiresRaspberryLime.jpg

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Not really. You either smoke less of the stronger weed, or you build up a tolerance. I have a buddy who had a liver transplant and has a medical card. He vapes his THC constantly and he functions normally. I took one hit off his vape one time and it knocked me out. The point is THC levels don't tell the whole story. It's what your tolerance is.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.