A shoutout to the NFL's Play60, and Flag Football

Rocky Landing

I felt like I wanted to get this out there before the season officially starts:

A lot has been written in these pages about the NFL, and its integrity as an organization-- much of it negative, and not without merit. But one thing they have done, and continue to do, is their Play60 program, and their NFL Flag Football program. These are concerted efforts to fight childhood obesity. Anyone on here who is a parent of young children knows that one of the hardest things to do-- especially in this age of mass school shootings, online gaming and social media, and the pandemic-- is to keep your children physically active. This may be even more true for me, and my family, as we live in Los Angeles.

And I have to say, these are very well run, and effective programs. My 12-year-old son is on his fourth session of flag football, and it has been fantastic. The league is well organized, the officiating is surprisingly decent, the games are organized, and well run. All of the equipment is provided. All of the kids get a jersey, and helmet. The coaches (mostly parents) receive training.

It teaches fitness, sportsmanship, competitiveness, and camaraderie. And I see a lot of kids out there who are struggling, and dealing with, their own weight issues.

And it's really reasonably priced!  Clearly not a money maker, I have to believe it is operated at a loss.

Well done NFL!

And GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.