Jets sign OT Duane Brown 2 years at 22 million

Greg S

7 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

They are a historically stupid franchise. 

Those idiots passed on OT Evan Neal in the 2022 draft, only to opt for a CB from Cincinnatti (of all places) at #4.  What made it even worse, the Giants were able to draft Neal.

What absolute morons!!!

Hate it when posters bash other franchises.  Outside of Buffalo, the Bills are mostly known for OJ and and losing four SuperBowls. Hopefully Josh changes all that this year. 

In 63 seasons the Bills have 35 more wins than what you are calling a "historically stupid franchise".  Less than half a win per season more.  Both teams have overall losing records.  Bills have 11 more playoff games played than the Jets.  One franchise is 1-0 in the SB and one is 0-4 with two AFL Championships.  

Bills have 10 people in the HOF 7 of which are players - one being of course a murderer.  Jets only have 4 - 3 players - one a famous fur coat wearing, Brady Bunch appearing, alcoholic that kisses sideline reporters.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

They are a historically stupid franchise. 

Those idiots passed on OT Evan Neal in the 2022 draft, only to opt for a CB from Cincinnatti (of all places) at #4.  What made it even worse, the Giants were able to draft Neal.

What absolute morons!!!

They’re both rookies, hard to judge if either puck is any good. They also had a major need at cornerback. Not saying it wasn’t a bad pick, but using 2 guys who haven’t played a down in the league isn’t a strong argument 

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Hate it when posters bash other franchises.  Outside of Buffalo, the Bills are mostly known for OJ and and losing four SuperBowls. Hopefully Josh changes all that this year. 

In 63 seasons the Bills have 35 more wins than what you are calling a "historically stupid franchise".  Less than half a win per season more.  Both teams have overall losing records.  Bills have 11 more playoff games played than the Jets.  One franchise is 1-0 in the SB and one is 0-4 with two AFL Championships.  

Bills have 10 people in the HOF 7 of which are players - one being of course a murderer.  Jets only have 4 - 3 players - one a famous fur coat wearing, Brady Bunch appearing, alcoholic that kisses sideline reporters.  

Both franchises have had their issues no doubt.  However, the current Bills are on a totally different trajectory than the Jets.  Five years from now, there's a pretty good chance that the Bills will still have Beane, McD, and Allen among others and the Jets will still suck! 

12 hours ago, Greg S said:

(19) Ian Rapoport on Twitter: "The #Jets are giving OT Duane Brown a 2-year deal worth $22M, source said. A significant investment in a key position." / Twitter

He is 37 but a 5 time pro bowler. Becton's replacement.

Bills fans can deny it all they want, but Jets are drastically improving from worst AFCE team to 2nd worst. All jokes aside, they’ve added some good pickups this off-season though everything hinges on Wilson as their roster is not good enough to carry him Ala Mark Sanchez. 

2 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

Both franchises have had their issues no doubt.  However, the current Bills are on a totally different trajectory than the Jets.  Five years from now, there's a pretty good chance that the Bills will still have Beane, McD, and Allen among others and the Jets will still suck! 

Agree about the current trajectory.  

That said I thought their last draft was good. If they clear some cap they may be competitive soon. I was never sold on Zach Wilson but I thought he played better as the season went on. INTs went down even if overall production was still not good. 

12 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Those idiots passed on OT Evan Neal in the 2022 draft, only to opt for a CB from Cincinnatti (of all places) at #4. 

Hey - nothing wrong with Cincinnati!  GO BEARCATS!

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Yeh but they hired REX RYAN as their coach!  We never did anything that stupid!

6 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Moseley was supposed to this huge difference maker for them and I forgot he was even in the league. Davis sucks. I don’t even know who John Franklin Myers is

They were unfortunate on Mosely. He did his ACL in his Jets debut (vs the Bills) and then he sat the entire next year because of covid too. They signed a second team all pro in the prime of his career, got one half of a game out of him and then got back a 30 year old who hadn't played in two years. They were unfortunate there. Similarly what happened to Lawson last offseason was bad luck too (although I always said that the Benglas upgraded letting Lawson walk for a $15m AAV contract and signing Hendrickson for the same money). The Davis deal did look like an overpay at the time.... but he is now the 28th best paid receiver in the league by AAV. That doesn't feel that crazy. They paid Myers after a hot start last year and then he tailed off badly, but that deal is one that has a very easy out after this season. 

So while I don't defend all the Jets' decisions they have certainly had some bad fortune. To have their big offseason acquisition do their ACL before the end of game 1 two years out of three (Mosely in 2019 then Lawson in 2021) is pretty rotten luck.  

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Agree about the current trajectory.  

That said I thought their last draft was good. If they clear some cap they may be competitive soon. I was never sold on Zach Wilson but I thought he played better as the season went on. INTs went down even if overall production was still not good. 

Wilson definitely has a good arm.  Time will tell if he develops into a decent qb.  Terrible news regarding Becton.  Hope he can stay healthy.

8 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Trust me, I am well aware of the Bills historic blunders. The Jets history is just as bad, if not worse. For instance, Rich Kotite was made Doug Marrone look like Vince Lombardi, and both teams did experience Rex Ryan.  :) 

The above is just a small sample as you well know.

7 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

They’re both rookies, hard to judge if either puck is any good. They also had a major need at cornerback. Not saying it wasn’t a bad pick, but using 2 guys who haven’t played a down in the league isn’t a strong argument 

It is now.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

For many reasons you just mentioned it is probably why the Bills vs Jets rivalry never had any real heat. With the Dolphins their is bad blood. The 20 straight losses and the Kelly/Marino years where they battled for the AFC East and all of those playoff games. There is a lot of hatred for NE for the 20 years they beat the **** out of the Bills but thankfully that has turned around in the Bills favor. With the Bills and Jets there really haven't been that many big games between them. You have the 81 WC game and maybe a few times they played important regular season games. For two teams who have battled each other since 1960 there just hasn't been much to make it a heated rivalry.  As for HOF players it is a mystery to me why Joe Klecko is not in the HOF from a Jets POV. He should have been in a long time ago.

17 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Jets had $8.9M cap space before this move.  It will be interesting to see how back loaded this contract is.  The only major savings they have is cutting Sheldon Rankins which saves $5M.  How can this team be that awful, have a QB on a rookie contract and still be up against the cap?  🤮 ✈️ 

Signing elderly washed up OTs to 10+ million per is a very good way for awful teams to get up against the cap.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Signing elderly washed up OTs to 10+ million per is a very good way for awful teams to get up against the cap.

Savage. Their starting tackle situation is going to be amongst the worst in the NFL, AGAIN, though. And while I don't have the same revulsion to the idea of a corner in the top 5 like Bill does, and while Evan Neal would not have been the tackle I'd have picked, I do think the Jets should have gone offensive tackle at #4. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

About $60M going to CJ Mosley, Carl Lawson and Corey Davis and John Franklin-Myers.

Not that I'm saying they are bad players just seems a risky plan.

They're basically what we were during the drought. Desperate to get talent , terrible drafts, no super elite names want to go there , so they're forced to overpay for good players

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Hmm let me think way back to 2018....

FA signings included Chirs Ivory, Vontae Davis, Trent Murphy, Star, Bodine, Newhouse, a rookie QB, no cap money, and finished 6-10....

No QB on rookie contract and had a ton of dead cap.  Both are not the case for the Jets this year.  

10 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

Passing on any Alabama player is a historic blunder in the eyes of Bill.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.