Training Camp practice 8/11 - last one at Fisher

YoloinOhio

I just noticed Josh in his presser giving a line from "Shoresy" (LetterKenny spin off).

Allen:

"It's guys that wanna win, it's guys competing, it's guys that.... I know it sounds weird but... it's guys that don't want to lose"

Shoresy:

"It's not that they don't love to win; they don't hate to lose"

That's a seriously strong mentality to have from people being paid millions every year to play a game.

Edited by The Wiz

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

I just noticed Josh in his presser giving a line from "Shoresy" (LetterKenny spin off).

Allen:

"It's guys that wanna win, it's guys competing, it's guys that.... I know it sounds weird but... it's guys that don't want to lose"

Shoresy:

I think hating to lose has been a thing that's been around way before that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I understand that just the way he phrased it with being winners first made me think of it. 

There are plenty of players that probably "mail it in" is the point.  Always good to hear that they (the team) aren't happy if they lose. 

I played in a beer league for hockey and quit because it felt the same way. They didn't care about winning or playing the game so I quit. Just didn't feel right to be ok with losing.  

52 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Allen:

Shoresy:

That's a seriously strong mentality to have from people being paid millions every year to play a game.

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886829d9fcf89d93f356c

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, eball said:

@TBBills why is my post funny?  Go look up the 2017 Vikings.

I find posters that get offended by others’ reactions to their posts immature and insecure. 

If anyone gives me an eye roll I’m going scorched earth- I swear to God. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

I find posters that get offended by others’ reactions to their posts immature and insecure. 

If anyone gives me an eye roll I’m going scorched earth- I swear to God. 

@B Rob you bastard. You, @YoloinOhioand @Malazan are all off my “favorite poster” list. It now includes only Weo, Scottlaw and Badol. 

Edited by WotAGuy
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

That's been around since the Michael Jordan days and probably even before that 

Hating to lose more than you love to win has been the mantra of champions for decades, if not longer. 

8 hours ago, eball said:

Some of you will roll your eyes at this, but I love it that this defense is giving our offense fits but we've seen it go both ways.  I believe the Bills may have both the best offense and best defense in the NFL.  I'm not kidding.

and defense always comes together first. good news!

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This guy is the Skip Bayless of criticizing the offense.  I swear he does it for click bait to just ruffle feathers for a way to get more views/interactions.  Its like its his kink to run to twitter and report any single unsuccessful offensive play he sees.  20 reporters can be raving about how good the offense looks and he will tweet out it was meh or not hitting expectations still.  

and you know Josh could have easily run for a first down, if he really wanted to.

5 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

If you want to believe that it's fine.  I see it more long term than myopically.  Just to give an example:

2023 Cap hits for Allen and Diggs is $60M.  

Go back and look at the number of picks used to acquire those 2 players.  I'm not going to list them all, but it's a friggin' lot!

2023 Cap hits for the next 2 players (Von and Tre) $24M.

A #27 overall pick.

I thank Brandon Beane knowing the true cost of players on both sides of the ball and continuing to balance this team the right way.

It's a blessing to us fans.

Well, I'm not good enough to study the numbers and create a hard and fast rule, but I think that the discussion of the comparison of resources allocated to offense and defense has to leave out the QB.   That is, what do the numbers look like without Allen?  And it isn't just 2023,  it's also 24 and 25.  I think what we're seeing is a philosophy that says (1) you absolutely need a QB.   Do what you have to do.  2.   With what's left after you get your QB, priority goes to the defense.   Get the people you need to build the best best defense you can, and fill in the offense as well as you.  

3 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Instead of Tre, could have had Mahomes AND all those picks spent on the other guys, AND Jackson Mahomes to lead the charge. I rest my case. 

You give a coherent alternative.

But when it's all said and done, I'm glad the Bills ended up with Josh Allen.

22 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, I'm not good enough to study the numbers and create a hard and fast rule, but I think that the discussion of the comparison of resources allocated to offense and defense has to leave out the QB.   That is, what do the numbers look like without Allen?  And it isn't just 2023,  it's also 24 and 25.  I think what we're seeing is a philosophy that says (1) you absolutely need a QB.   Do what you have to do.  2.   With what's left after you get your QB, priority goes to the defense.   Get the people you need to build the best best defense you can, and fill in the offense as well as you.  

LOL, I had a couple of drinks and I had to re-read your post.  For a second I thought you were against the Bills paying JA.

I think you mean that a Franchise QB cost is in its own category and then divide the rest accordingly.

I will say I'm pretty sure there isn't any "hard and fast rule" about that.  Either way I do have confidence Beane and McDermott are aware of that and

doing the best they can to find that balance.

I was at practice today, it definitely didn't feel like a great day for the offense.  A couple nice runs by Singletary, one long gain by Crowder, but it seemed like Josh was missing more than we've grown used to.  It also seemed like the D-line was in the backfield less than I thought they would be based on earlier camp reports.  Probably just an off day (I also had my attention more focused on my kid, so I'm sure I missed some stuff.)

Aside from Crowder's long run, the other obvious stand out to me was Araiza, he was consistently making better punts than Haack, although both had more touchbacks than you'd like to see.

1 hour ago, BTB said:

I am nitpicking but I heard several reports on local TV today stating that “training camp is over”.  Ummm…that would not be true. 

How is it not true?  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

I was at practice today, it definitely didn't feel like a great day for the offense.  A couple nice runs by Singletary, one long gain by Crowder, but it seemed like Josh was missing more than we've grown used to.  It also seemed like the D-line was in the backfield less than I thought they would be based on earlier camp reports.  Probably just an off day (I also had my attention more focused on my kid, so I'm sure I missed some stuff.)

Aside from Crowder's long run, the other obvious stand out to me was Araiza, he was consistently making better punts than Haack, although both had more touchbacks than you'd like to see.

How is it not true?  

I guess technically training camp continues through the entire preseason. However, some consider the start of preseason to be the end of training camp.

1 minute ago, Ta111 said:

I guess technically training camp continues through the entire preseason. However, some consider the start of preseason to be the end of training camp.

Like i said, maybe I am nitpicking.  i would consider training camp to end when final cutdown day occurs. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-training-camps-details-dates-coverage-and-more

What is NFL training camp?

Training camp is an extensive ramp-up period leading into the preseason 

https://buffalowdown.com/2022/07/22/everything-need-know-buffalo-bills-training-camp/

There are 12 total practices during training camp with 11 at St. John Fisher University and one at Highmark Stadium on August 5th for the Return of the Blue and Red.....

Shortly after the Buffalo Bills wrap up training camp on August 11th they will play their first preseason game of the year on August 13th against the Indianapolis Colts.

I think it's pretty widely accepted that training camp is the practices leading up to the preseason, not the preseason itself.

7 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-training-camps-details-dates-coverage-and-more

https://buffalowdown.com/2022/07/22/everything-need-know-buffalo-bills-training-camp/

I think it's pretty widely accepted that training camp is the practices leading up to the preseason, not the preseason itself.

Not that it is that big of a deal, but I stand corrected.  

32 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

You give a coherent alternative.

But when it's all said and done, I'm glad the Bills ended up with Josh Allen.

LOL, I had a couple of drinks and I had to re-read your post.  For a second I thought you were against the Bills paying JA.

I think you mean that a Franchise QB cost is in its own category and then divide the rest accordingly.

I will say I'm pretty sure there isn't any "hard and fast rule" about that.  Either way I do have confidence Beane and McDermott are aware of that and

doing the best they can to find that balance.

Well, I've sort of been talking in two threads - yesterday's practice and today's.   Sorry.  What I said in the other thread is that the disproportion in the number dlinemen acquired, and the amount they're spending on them, is intentional.   What I said was that after the QB,  they believe they need defense, and the key to defense is eight rotating defensive linemen.  That's their view, I think. Look at the record:  Oliver, Epenesa, Rousseau, Basham, Settle, Jones, Philips, Lawson, MIller.  Hard to think that's a coincidence; it was intentional.   It's an interesting approach.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.