yeah but if the result is "run stuff" they won't get very far with that

9 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Smoke and mirrors 

Belicheat wants people to believe that they are pushovers 

Haha part of me 100% believes this

Edited by Beck Water
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

The saving grace for the Bills with Miami is that Tua will likely stay true to form, they do have talent, I’m thinking a short pass offense on their part, 

I think they do have talent on offense. Though Armstead apart I remain unsold on their line. It is actually the defense I question. Two good corners but otherwise a lot of meh that was helped a lot by Flores's coaching IMO. 

That said if Wilson misses serious time my Jets for 2nd prediction has gone for a burton.

• Like (+1) 1

Im still not whistling past the graveyard.  Last season they nearly smoke and mirrored their way to the Division title, which could have knocked the Bills completely out.  Now, the Bills ended up dealing out 2 death-blows which helps everyone forget.  They also werent all that bad with Newton as an awful starting QB.  They have yet to see the floor fall out.

With that said, I wonder if the floor does fall out, how eager Kraft will be to turn the page on his franchise, move on from Belichick, and chart a new course

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/11/2022 at 4:44 PM, Beast said:

I'm not saying he hasn't been a good defensive coach. That is not debatable.

I believe he is extremely overrated as a HC. He was fortunate. Much in the same way Marv Levy was fortunate.

The Head Coaches that have had success at multiple locations with multiple core players are the coaches I have the most respect for.

Sorry to jump on an old post, but I'm always surprised by how many Bills fans think Marv Levy is overrated, lucky (due to personnel), or just not that great of a coach. I assume a lot of this sentiment is from younger fans who didn't actually watch those '90s teams and only see 4 Super Bowl loses with a loaded roster.

But, you say Marv Levy was fortunate---i.e. he only has a good record because of the talent he coached on the Bills (Kelly, Bruce, Thurman, Andre, etc.). And that "Head Coaches that have had success at multiple locations..." As if Marv never did anything before coming to the Bills. Here is an abbreviated list of what he did before coming to Buffalo. I hope you and other fans who think Marv is overrated read this.

- In his first coaching job (2 years coaching football and basketball at a high school in St. Louis), he coached their basketball team to a championship.

- He then returned to Coe College (his alma mater) for two years as asst. football coach and head coach of the basketball team. He led the basketball team to a championship.

- At his next stop, University of New Mexico, he was an asst. for 4 years before being named head football coach. In two years as the top man, he had a 14-6 record and won Conference Coach of the Year.

- Didn't do great in his stint with UC Berkeley, but did hire and groom Bill Walsh on his staff.

- In 5 years as head coach of William & Mary, he won a Conference Title and Conference Coach of the Year twice.

- Four years in the NFL as Special Teams Coordinator under George Allen.

- Became Head Coach of the Montreal Allouettes in the CFL. In 5 seasons, he took the team to the playoffs and the Eastern Conference Finals all 5 years. And made it to the Championship game 3 times, winning it all (the Grey Cup) twice and earning CFL Coach of the Year in 1974.

How many coaches can say they took their teams to 4 Super Bowls and 3 Grey Cups? He made it to the big game 7 times with two different teams.

- Five years Head Coach of the Kansas City Chiefs. People knock his record here, but he took over a 2-12 team, the worst team in the league, that just had their best two defensive players retire. Not counting the strike year, his record was 28-36. Not great, but there was improvement every year (from that 2 win season before he arrived) to 4 wins, then 7 wins, then 8 wins, and to a 9-7 record in 1981. And remember, this was pre-free agency. Rebuilds took a lot longer back in the day. It wasn't like today where teams can go worst to first in one year with a good free agency class.

With the Bills, besides the Super Bowl runs and his record, he was also named NFL Coach of the Year in 1988; and AFC Coach of the Year 3 times (in 1988, 1993, and 1995).

And fans really underestimate how he was able to bring that collection of alpha, ego-driven, big personalities of the '90s Bills together as a team. A lot of coaches wouldn't have been able to bring that group of guys together no matter how much talent they had. It took Marv's wisdom, experience, and demeanor to do that. Not to mention how hard it is to coach one team to a Super Bowl, but to keep getting a team back there despite losing every year is a major coaching feat in its own. The character, commitment, perseverance, and fortitude to do that is rare. And Marv did have success in multiple locations with different players---maybe not multiple NFL teams (as HC), but then, he only had two opportunities as HC in the NFL and at least his KC team was improving each year.

If anything, Marv is now underrated by too many Bills fans.

End of rant. 😊

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 5

22 minutes ago, Bandito said:

You base a bad practice on them sucking during the season? Based on it is the NFL. I would not be surprised if the Pats beat us 1/2 this season.

I would. Maybe if it's 75mph winds again.  I'm not sure there's much difference than last season. Did they improve weapons for M.Jones very much in WR etc? Also  Matt Patricia all oif a sudden jumping over to OC from DC doesn't concern very much.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Bandito said:

You base a bad practice on them sucking during the season? Based on it is the NFL. I would not be surprised if the Pats beat us 1/2 this season.

But it's not one bad practice. It's been a tire fire all summer. If it were the Bills no one would be laughing it off.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

59 minutes ago, Bandito said:

If you took the exact same roster and put a different logo on the helmet, most people would be expecting 6-7 wins.   Max.

It took 2-3 seasons before people got used to the Bills being good.  It's just as hard for people to get used to the Patriots being average.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

They will need to force a punt in order to win

Watch out for Matt Patricia drawing up all the trickery and amazing plays that will have heads spinning on Bills D. 

3 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

If you took the exact same roster and put a different logo on the helmet, most people would be expecting 6-7 wins.   Max.

It took 2-3 seasons before people got used to the Bills being good.  It's just as hard for people to get used to the Patriots being average.

Lol, Maybe it is for me. Not for me it wasn't. Was expected without Brady obviously

58 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I would. Maybe if it's 75mph winds again.  I'm not sure there's much difference than last season. Did they improve weapons for M.Jones very much in WR etc? Also  Matt Patricia all oif a sudden jumping over to OC from DC doesn't concern very much.

I think if there's a 75mph wind game this year the Bills would beat them down just as bad as no wind.  They are not going to be able to run every play against our DL this year

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

The playoff game where the defense didn't get a stop, force a punt, or prevent a score on any possession?

I'm not convinced they do anything well at this point.  They still have Belichick who is the best game day coach and strategist in the league. But they also have Belichick the highly questionable GM and decision maker when it comes to drafting and pro personnel.

I am sure they can cheat better than anyone else in league.

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.