Patriots' offense is a disaster per The Athletic's beat reporter

Inigo Montoya

15 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I keep reading these reports and I’m not buying it (yet).  The Pats are designed to operate a heavy formation against nickle defenses.  They should be able to find a baseline amount of success with what they’re doing and I still expect them to compete most weeks.  

But I sure hope I’m wrong and the bottom falls out and Billy B calls it a career.

And we play one of the best nickels if not the best on the league along with a high octane offense that can keep the other offense off the field. I like our chances. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/patriots-qb-mac-jones-most-starters-won-t-play-preseason-opener-versus-giants

Interesting that the Pats* won't be playing Jones, or most of their starters in the first preseason game. I kind of understand Jones not playing-- plenty of starting QBs won't be playing in their first preseason game-- but The Pats* are installing a new offensive scheme, and reports indicate that their offense hasn't had a single good showing vs. their own D in TC. Are they not ready to put these new concepts to the test in a preseason game for a series, or two? This is what preseason is for.

Daniel Jones is going to play, as are most of the Giants starters (according to Brian Daboll). Trevor Lawrence, Mayfield, Darnold, Zach Wilson-- all playing.

Does not bode well for Patriot* Nation, IMO.

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Are they still "well coached"?

Because, you know, the supposed best HC in NFL history has coached over 150 games without Tom Brady as his QB and he is sub .500 in those 150 plus games.

Just like Phil Jackson was a genius when he had Michael Jordan on his roster, though Phil had a much better winning percentage without the best of all-time on his roster.

You can say what you want about Brady and the offense, but Bill Belichick has taken at times some downright poor talent on defense and gotten them to play respectably. He has always been a very good defensive coach.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

37 minutes ago, MJS said:

You can say what you want about Brady and the offense, but Bill Belichick has taken at times some downright poor talent on defense and gotten them to play respectably. He has always been a very good defensive coach.

I'm not saying he hasn't been a good defensive coach. That is not debatable.

I believe he is extremely overrated as a HC. He was fortunate. Much in the same way Marv Levy was fortunate.

The Head Coaches that have had success at multiple locations with multiple core players are the coaches I have the most respect for.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/patriots-qb-mac-jones-most-starters-won-t-play-preseason-opener-versus-giants

Interesting that the Pats* won't be playing Jones, or most of their starters in the first preseason game. I kind of understand Jones not playing-- plenty of starting QBs won't be playing in their first preseason game-- but The Pats* are installing a new offensive scheme, and reports indicate that their offense hasn't had a single good showing vs. their own D in TC. Are they not ready to put these new concepts to the test in a preseason game for a series, or two? This is what preseason is for.

Daniel Jones is going to play, as are most of the Giants starters (according to Brian Daboll). Trevor Lawrence, Mayfield, Darnold, Zach Wilson-- all playing.

Daniel Jones has to play they have to figure out once and for all if he's the guy. This season will determine his future as a starting QB in this league.

1 hour ago, Rocky Landing said:

I don't understand it.  They need as much practice together as they can get.  They have a new OC who has never been an OC before and hasn't coached on offense in 17 years, who will also be their OL coach.  But hey, good.

Tell ya what - the Patriots will probably still be competitive, but I don't think I've ever seen a less talented team I'd say that about.  It's because of one thing, the coach.  He'll hold it together w/ spit & glue like he always does, and figure out how to keep them in enough games for a respectable record.

Once he retires, New England is officially done for a few decades.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I don't understand it.  They need as much practice together as they can get.  They have a new OC who has never been an OC before and hasn't coached on offense in 17 years, who will also be their OL coach.  But hey, good.

Yep.

Given that a) the Patriots are installing a new offensive scheme, b) this is Patricia's first stint as an OC, or offensive play-caller, c) Mac & Cheese is going into only his second season, and d) by all credible accounts, the Patriots' offense has struggled mightily in training camp... not playing the starters very much feels like an offense that is not ready for television.

34 minutes ago, Success said:

Tell ya what - the Patriots will probably still be competitive, but I don't think I've ever seen a less talented team I'd say that about.  It's because of one thing, the coach.  He'll hold it together w/ spit & glue like he always does, and figure out how to keep them in enough games for a respectable record.

Once he retires, New England is officially done for a few decades.

If Belichick* retired tomorrow, he would be leaving the Patriots* organization a shambles.

• 2 weeks later...

You just hate to see it. The playoff game exposed that team for what it was. A very good defensive team and a very, very bad offensive team. Mac Jones is a seemingly nice guy that is in no way going to put the team on his back. Mediocre at best. It’s tough for me to say that a Pats quarterback is a nice guy, but he does seem to be one.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.