Patriots' offense is a disaster per The Athletic's beat reporter

Inigo Montoya

47 minutes ago, wppete said:

Losing McDaniels to the Raiders was the biggest blow to NE. 

Belichick getting a year older every year is the biggest blow to NE every year.

it affects the coaching.  And the front office decisions (which were never good to begin with).

And its genius, or something else, to have a former DC as your new OC.  Like he couldnt find a bright young offensive mind to groom and to work with basically a rookie qb?

Hell, even I would take that job.

Edited by maddenboy
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

Devante Parker can’t get open on that secondary?  They’re in trouble 

dead last among qualifying receivers in average separation the last 2 (maybe 3?) years. This is not new for Parker.

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

I think Josh McDaniels was more important than people want to give him credit for. His system worked for years in NE. Now they have a failed HC and former DC calling plays who couldn't achieve anything with Stafford as his QB and a failed HC former ST guy coaching up QB's who partly lost his job because he couldn't help develop Daniel Jones. Sounds like a recipe for success to me. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6

5 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

dead last among qualifying receivers in average separation the last 2 (maybe 3?) years. This is not new for Parker.

Yea Parker has never separated from anyone. 

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I think Josh McDaniels was more important than people want to give him credit for. His system worked for years in NE. Now they have a failed HC and former DC calling plays who couldn't achieve anything with Stafford as his QB and a failed HC former ST guy coaching up QB's who partly lost his job because he couldn't help develop Daniel Jones. Sounds like a recipe for success to me. 

And Bill actually trusted Josh. That is the thing that shouldn't be overlooked. I suspect if things start to go south for the Patricia - Judge combo Bill will start meddling. He is already GM, HC and DC... adding OC to that does not sound like a wise move, especially for a man of his age. 

1 hour ago, H2o said:

What should be more concerning to Bills fans and our Super Bowl hopes: McDaniels is now coaching a real NFL QB and receivers in Las Vagus. NE = No. McD in LV = that may be a problem.

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

6 hours ago, maddenboy said:

Belichick getting a year older every year is the biggest blow to NE every year.

it affects the coaching.  And the front office decisions (which were never good to begin with).

And its genius, or something else, to have a former DC as your new OC.  Like he couldnt find a bright young offensive mind to groom and to work with basically a rookie qb?

Hell, even I would take that job.

Don't forget that OC is also the O-Line coach...

7 hours ago, jaybills said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah...and Detroit has like the best preseason record for what seems like the last 20 years. They always blow afterwards in the season. 

One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.  Do you not recall the days of bad reports from Bills training camp we all hoped were “premature” — only to find out we really did have a 6-10 team?

37 minutes ago, eball said:

One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.  Do you not recall the days of bad reports from Bills training camp we all hoped were “premature” — only to find out we really did have a 6-10 team?

Yep. I do. I also recognise some of the same people who were in the "wait and see" camp then on the Bills are now in the "they're a tire fire" camp now on the Patriots. The Bills were bad when their practices suggested they would be bad. The Patriots will be bad this year. I think they will finish 4th in the AFCE and a top 5 draft pick is not out of the question. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

The Evil Genius is crapping the bed this season, having realized that Mac Jones ( Rag Arm, The future goes through Buffalo) ain’t it.

Next year, they get their QB in a talent rich class and Billy Boy rides off into the sunset having set them up for the future.

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. I do. I also recognise some of the same people who were in the "wait and see" camp then on the Bills are now in the "they're a tire fire" camp now on the Patriots. The Bills were bad when their practices suggested they would be bad. The Patriots will be bad this year. I think they will finish 4th in the AFCE and a top 5 draft pick is not out of the question

Maybe tanking is the plan for this year

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. I do. I also recognise some of the same people who were in the "wait and see" camp then on the Bills are now in the "they're a tire fire" camp now on the Patriots. The Bills were bad when their practices suggested they would be bad. The Patriots will be bad this year. I think they will finish 4th in the AFCE and a top 5 draft pick is not out of the question. 

Yeah, perspective changes when you’re seeking to make excuses for your own team vs. hoping an opponent is struggling.

I don’t think any team but the Bills wins more than 9 games in the AFCE this year.

11 minutes ago, eball said:

Yeah, perspective changes when you’re seeking to make excuses for your own team vs. hoping an opponent is struggling.

I don’t think any team but the Bills wins more than 9 games in the AFCE this year.

Nor do I. I have bold predicted the Jets for 2nd place... but if there is a team other than the Bills that wins 10 it will be Miami. I just don't trust them. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, jaybills said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah...and Detroit has like the best preseason record for what seems like the last 20 years. They always blow afterwards in the season. 

Preseason W/L is essentially meaningless because teams play starters for different amounts of time.  I’d be much more concerned with the starters looking bad in practice although there’s still plenty of time to turn it around.

And the best part of this plan is one can stop me…

Since I am playing chess while others play checkers.

Oh sh@t!  The Bills.

On a serious note, yesterday you guys have listened to a portion where Jeremy and Joe (I refuse to call him sneaky as it sounds stupid) whether we want the Pats to go 4-13 or Brady to finally hit the wall.  Some answers were interesting.

By all means (to me at least) please allow Brady to win the South in a tight battle with New Orleans, amd the Pats to go 7-10 to 8-9.  No high draft pick, and no playoffs.  Darth Vader (BB) looks more and more like a chump, Pats fans pull their hair out, and hate their own organization for allowing Brady to leave.  They could’ve changed their style, found ways to incentivize him to stay, etc.  So a win for Pats fans wanting to commit Seppuku.  Of course, we get Brady in the SB and destroy him and them.  Perfect how sweet revenge can be.

Then, he enacts his master plan and goes to the Fins next year, we sweep them again, and after this year when sweeping them, next year it will be 11-1 against the Fish since Allen gets here in 18.  The Fins finish 7-10, and both Brady and BB end their careers in agony.

Thats what I would’ve said if I called in yesterday to WGR.  A little thing called work got in the way.

Feel free to chime in on you’re Pats, BB, and Brady premonition of what you want to happen.  I like mine, but you may have something better.  The last thing I want is a 4-13 season and BB moves up to get the best QB in what looks like a solid QB draft.  I want them to drown in mediocrity.  Did I mention we sweep the Pats again as there are no monsoon winds games this year.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I keep reading these reports and I’m not buying it (yet).  The Pats are designed to operate a heavy formation against nickle defenses.  They should be able to find a baseline amount of success with what they’re doing and I still expect them to compete most weeks.  

But I sure hope I’m wrong and the bottom falls out and Billy B calls it a career.

Belichick's 20+ years removed from when he won 2 Super Bowls with traditional Erhardt-Perkins caretaker QB coupled with strong defense. The game has changed, winning that way is extremely difficult with that formula today. He lucked out with Brady developing the way he did, he basically had a second OC on the field adjusting on the fly.

I remember that Andy Reid's death knell in Philly was moving OL Coordinator Juan Castillo to Def Coord after McDermott was relieved of his duties. He lasted 2 more years after that decision, but those kinds of moves will either be master strokes or the final straws.

Yeah, they're going to be bad.  I've never seen reports from their training camp that looked this bad and to think that Belicheat is just playing 4D chess by having the offense look terrible is silly.  They don't have time to do this.  Hopefully this is Belicheat's last year there.

Edited by Doc

New England's drafting has been bad and the team lacks talent. When Brady was there they could add talent with free agents who wanted to play there, but nobody is running to play there now. They need to do what all teams eventually do - rebuild and start to build up their talent again....

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.