Doctor on Buffalo Fanatics discussing Tre White recovery - link removed

CorkScrewHill

Don't apologize for the post...

Sure, the doctor doesn't have intimate knowledge of everything going on, but it's still interesting to hear other opinions (even if it's not what we want to hear).

I suspect that's the problem most people have... he said something they didn't want to hear. Doesn't bother me though, it's not like his opinion has any bearing at all on when Tre returns or how his recovery is coming along. So what if he's dead wrong? 

Just saying, don't worry about it OP. Thanks for posting anyway 🙂

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s most likely not 100% healed. An ACL graft can take up to two years to fully heal and fixate…. But the research has shown that most athletes respond positively to waiting at least 9 months….. reinjury is reduced by more than 50% for those who wait to return to sport until least those 9 months post surgery for various reasons(ROM, 90-95%  strength of opposite limb, ability to withstand the change of direction/curing/accelerating.)

What this doctor was stating was waiting 11 months.  He’s 9 months now.  

The doctor and/or surgeon will determine how strong the knee is after the examination.  

It can also take up to one year for a disk to heal after surgery and mine healed in 4 months….it all depends on the person.

44 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The trainers will determine that… the doctor stating that has no clue… again, I think he’ll be back at the nine month mark, which is mid September…. My guess is he comes back either week 3, 4, or 5. 

The doctor will most certainly determine that.  When they say “medically cleared to play”, its not coming from the trainer.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The doctor will most certainly determine that.  When they say “medically cleared to play”, its not coming from the trainer.

Hope it's not the same crew that (twice) cleared "Lights Out" Merriman to play.....

The Bills have good depth at the CB position so let him sit & come back 100% mind body & soul in time to shut down the other offenses just prior to the play off run to give him time to get back into game shape to take the Bills to the big game .

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s a team decision between the surgeon/trainers/physical therapist…. The trainers and therapists are with him day in and day out so obviously they’ll have a better idea of the progress than will the surgeon. 

Its not a team decision if someone is medically cleared to play.  Medically cleared to play comes from a medical doctor.  The trainers, front office and physical therapists aren’t doctors.  

Physical therapists and trainers work with the athlete and the doctor will determine if he’s ready or not after.  The doctor will perform medical tests and make a determination.  

I just went through this Scott.   I’ve know probably 20 athletes that went through this.  You’re arguing something you don’t know.

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Okay?  Some players get injured a lot.

Does Julio Jones also have bad doctors because he hasn’t been able to stay healthy since 2018?

The point was...he wasn't ready to return.  In one instance,  he immediately re-injured his Achilles simply by running backwards in a camp drill.  They never asked the achilles injury guy to run backpedal (a "medical test") before clearing him.

Edited by Mr. WEO

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The point was...he wasn't ready to return.  In one instance,  he immediately re-injured his Achilles simply by running backwards in a camp drill.  They never asked the achilles injury guy to run backpedal (a "medical test") before clearing him.

Yeah and that happens sometimes.

You know who Dr. James Andrew’s is?  World famous surgeon.

He medically cleared our catcher to resume throwing and the very next practice….re-injured.  Fraud?

Yeah and that happens sometimes.

You know who Dr. James Andrew’s is?  World famous surgeon.

He medically cleared our catcher to resume throwing and the very next practice….re-injured.  Fraud?

Did he do it twice without having him throw?

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

You think the trainers and physical therapists don’t do medical and functional tests?…. How do you think they determine if he’s ready to play or not?….They are as much involved in that decision as the surgeon. 

They are as much a part of the process to get the athlete ready to come back but the decision if he’s medically cleared or not is based on the medical doctor.  

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Did he do it twice without having him throw?

He didn’t throw a baseball at all until Dr. Andrew’s told he could resume throwing.  He never threw a ball in his office.  

They are as much a part of the process to get the athlete ready to come back but the decision if he’s medically cleared or not is based on the medical doctor.  

He didn’t throw a baseball at all until Dr. Andrew’s told he could resume throwing.  He never threw a ball in his office.  

No one throws baseballs in my office either.  I would take that somewhere else.  

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I work in the field….there are series of tests provided and examined by the trainers/therapists specifically to help determine if the athlete is ready to come back…. It may be the surgeons final say, but those functional tests are crucial to help determine if the athlete is ready to return assuming all imaging looks good. 

Barring a setback.(or if he’s already had one)… I expect Tre to be back as early as Week 3. 

Which is what I said.  I like how you carefully worded it "it may be"....no it is.

Medically cleared means by a medical doctor.  Reword things however you want but a 4 year graduate from college with a Physical Therapy degree doesn't have the same input as a medical doctor.

18 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I work in the field….there are series of tests provided and examined by the trainers/therapists specifically to help determine if the athlete is ready to come back…. It may be the surgeons final say, but those functional tests are crucial to help determine if the athlete is ready to return assuming all imaging looks good. 

Barring a setback.(or if he’s already had one)… I expect Tre to be back as early as Week 3. 

Is there a danger in rushing him back even if all those tests look good? Like something that you wouldn't know about until he has repeated movements on it during a game?

On 8/10/2022 at 8:26 PM, CorkScrewHill said:

I removed the link as many pointed out reasonably that a random doctor watching some video is not a great means for judging Tre’s recovery. Sorry for the waste of time post.

why not just delete the thread all together?

On 8/10/2022 at 8:26 PM, CorkScrewHill said:

I removed the link as many pointed out reasonably that a random doctor watching some video is not a great means for judging Tre’s recovery. Sorry for the waste of time post.

Oh come on, stick by your convictions a little. A tad bit of opposing opinions is all it takes for you to flop sides and remove a link?

There's a reason why McD has been evasive on this topic when asked about it during various interviews in camp so far.

And given the nature of his injury and how important he is to the team I get the sense the organization will be as cautious as possible with him. This is why I think even midseason is wishful thinking and he probably won't be nearly as effective as he was pre-injury until 2023 anyway.

This also raises the question as to why this team did not adequately address DB in the offseason in terms of a viable veteran signing. I guess there is still time to do this via FA/Trade/roster cuts, etc but it's playing with fire IMO given the upcoming schedule and how bad this defense was without him against real competition (i.e. Bucs game/KC playoff debacle).

• Disagree 2

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Oh come on, stick by your convictions a little. A tad bit of opposing opinions is all it takes for you to flop sides and remove a link?

In hindsight I agreed with those who argued that it was not very meaningful to have a doctor watch a few clips and make a diagnosis. I would have preferred to delete the thread overall but there was some discussions people were having and I didn’t want to impact that. I like to think I can listen to reasoned points and change my mind. It was hardly a conviction.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.