Revisiting my first Josh Allen evaluation after his first preseason game in 2018

BillsPride12

17 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I did find it odd they kept Peterman since I did not think he was worth spending energy on him and would never have predicted that he would be named starting QB.

Josh was not ready.  He played one  good quarter in pre-season and then was disappointing in the other.  They knew he was still raw and his mechanics needed correction.  They were not going to throw him to the wolves and then they just did that...because they saw Peterman was terrible !!!!!   Took his lumps in the 1st year...corrected his mechanics in year two....and then built better anticipation and to trust his receivers as Diggs came in.....rest is history !

2 hours ago, ganesh said:

Josh was not ready.  He played one  good quarter in pre-season and then was disappointing in the other.  They knew he was still raw and his mechanics needed correction.  They were not going to throw him to the wolves and then they just did that...because they saw Peterman was terrible !!!!!   Took his lumps in the 1st year...corrected his mechanics in year two....and then built better anticipation and to trust his receivers as Diggs came in.....rest is history !

I do not evem understand why they kept Peterman even in preseason other than as an extra arm.

I understand why they felt compelled after backup QB from Cincinatti A. J. McCarron was injured (although I'd prefer they be actively seeking replacement on market rather than going with Peterman) but when he was cleared to play trading him to Bears again made no sense.  They seemed to determined to prove he was worth a 5th round draft pick and was wasting resouces to do it.

So I went back to my posts from like 2017 on that I started. Talk about a journey lol

Josh was really fun going from 2018 then to 2019 to 2020. You can literally see the progression and especially 2019 you can see it come on for him for real and why people who solely looked at stats really missed on the signs he would at least become a solid starter. His overall jump is still rare.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

So I went back to my posts from like 2017 on that I started. Talk about a journey lol

Josh was really fun going from 2018 then to 2019 to 2020. You can literally see the progression and especially 2019 you can see it come on for him for real and why people who solely looked at stats really missed on the signs he would at least become a solid starter. His overall jump is still rare.

It always blew my mind how many people harped on his stats or even worse what his college stats were....it was like what games are you guys watching and how are you not seeing this off the chart potential he displays!?

3 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

It always blew my mind how many people harped on his stats or even worse what his college stats were....it was like what games are you guys watching and how are you not seeing this off the chart potential he displays!?

Same.  A whole bunch of people bought into a narrative about Allen before the draft, and it turned out they were mistaken.  We saw that during his rookie season, of course, especially after he came back from injury.  But it took media types a long time to update their views because social media causes people to dig in instead of just saying "Oops -- looks like I got this one wrong."

There's nothing wrong with being wrong from time to time.  People screw up prospect evaluations over and over again.  Our FO does it too.  The smart ones are the folks with the bravery to admit they blew it.  (I give Arizona a ton of credit for kicking Wrong Josh to the curb rather than double down like other teams *coughMiamicough*).

• Agree 1

I just remember his first throw in that game. A missile down the left sideline that was caught just out of bounds by Foster maybe, I'm not sure. But I remember being wowed by the effortlessness of the throw, just a flick of the wrist really. After watching Tyrod throw Mac Jones Specials for several seasons it was a breath of fresh air

This is the only quote you need to know about the draft evaluation of Josh Allen:

"If Josh Allen succeeds, the Bills will have outsmarted basically all regular humans and the entirety of math itself."

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/24/17271686/josh-allen-nfl-draft-2018-stats-analysis-comparisons

The Bills won the lottery essentially. It's never happened before and it might never happen again. Only a crazy person would have drafted Josh Allen.

1173442471.jpg.0.jpg

Edited by KDIGGZ

14 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

The Pats game at the end of the year statistically was nothing special. Watching the game he legit balled out and even NE fans at that moment realized he was a problem long term. After they lost to Cleveland he was quite good minus the Ravens game which hey their D is insanely good and his QBR never dropped below 60 other then that Ravens game (Jets end of year doesn't count he played a series). But he was still such a target for negative criticism at the time people really did not look deeper at what he did, their problem now.

On 8/10/2022 at 4:17 PM, BillsBytheBay said:

many people believed him a bust.

few people had this ”generic” take. and I'm glad they feel vindicated.

Lmao what. The take is “he’s raw but he might get better.”

there’s nothing to feel vindicated about 

23 hours ago, Gugny said:

I was in the "either Josh will make me happy" camp heading into the draft.  I liked Darnold, but knew he was out.  I did not like Mayfield, Rudolph or Jackson at all.

As the evening unfolded, I ended up being ecstatic that we got Josh Allen.  Josh Rosen did a great job putting on full display what an arrogant little douche he is. 

Josh Allen did the exact opposite.

I do remember that too about Rosen.  After seeing that I thought maybe we dodged a bullet there, and I also never cared for Mayfield...

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Lmao what. The take is “he’s raw but he might get better.”

there’s nothing to feel vindicated about 

I had no idea who Allen was. I am not one of the vindicated.  

this very offseason I have seen a massive revision in history. it's just so much easier than eating crow.

I'm not saying there weren't people who had that opinion; obviously the original poster did.

it's just crazy that all of a sudden, the people calling him a bust were in the minority? Everyone assumed he was just raw?  No.  

I feel like I made an honest observation.  I'll stand by it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.