Revisiting my first Josh Allen evaluation after his first preseason game in 2018

BillsPride12

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

While we are patting ourselves on the back, I may as well say that I thought he had the highest upside of any QB I had ever seen when he was at college.  

I also thought that becoming a Bill would be the worst thing for him, as we weren’t allowed to have nice things.  

1 for 2. 

He might become the best QB ever based on what he can do on the football field when compared to every other QB.  

We have a very nice thing

That was a rather generic take likely offered by a lot of people. - Airseven

😆 

Sorry @Airseven, it was just too tempting. 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NickelCity said:

Safe to say those of us who follow the Bills closely remember the TD in the corner when Josh fired an absolute laser between two defenders. First time i had to watch a replay to actually see the ball. That opened a lot of eyes. 

I reread that thread yesterday as I got a notification about it too, and I remember your post. 

I distinctly remember Allen's rookie season where the ball got there so fast sometimes that the cameraman didn't get there until after it was already caught. Took at least half the season to get up to speed and track his throws properly.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

13 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Isn’t it crazy how inexact the draft is? I mean think of the MILLIONS of dollars spent by teams by not only paying a GM, but also many scouts, assistants, travel expenses, etc, and then they pick guys like Josh Rosen or Johnny Manziel or Tim Tebow or Jamarcus Russell (and the list can go on and on) in the first round. Almost anything in life gets easier as time goes on. As more data and experience is acquired, success rate should go up. And it doesn’t. It’s still just as much of a crapshoot as it’s ever been. It’s just wild.

Of the 4 examples, 3 of them had obvious risks associated that the scouts "chose" to ignore.

Manziel had talent but not character or size;  Russell had talent but not character; and Tebow had character and no talent.  

Maybe teams are so desperate for the franchise QB that they roll the dice and hope (e.g. EJ Manuel)

I think what make the Bills current management successful is finding  the proper blend of talent and character in their draft picks  and FA signings

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, BTB said:

Hope you didn’t hurt your arm while trying to pat yourself on the back. 😂

Lots of people took a lot of pain for defending Allen early on and believing he had what it takes to be great. The pain came from fellow Bills fans. 

I agree that in comparison, the OP had a generic and safe take for the time. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

Lots of people took a lot of pain for defending Allen early on and believing he had what it takes to be great. The pain came from fellow Bills fans. 

I agree that in comparison, the OP had a generic and safe take for the time. 

Those generic and safe take's have been used against people before when they were wrong.  I don't see a reason to dismiss it for being right.  

I defended EJ without arguing about it.  The game day threads weren't kind some days.

Edited by The Wiz

2 hours ago, NickelCity said:

Safe to say those of us who follow the Bills closely remember the TD in the corner when Josh fired an absolute laser between two defenders. First time i had to watch a replay to actually see the ball. That opened a lot of eyes. 

I reread that thread yesterday as I got a notification about it too, and I remember your post. 

You're talking about a TD to Ray-Ray Mcloud as remember it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, without a drought said:

I'm still on the fence.

That’s gotta hurt after all this time, 😂

• Haha (+1) 2

Not a bad take, not here to criticize anyone. Some of us watched him bring WY back to watchable football (coach helped and is still working on this). Literally called the pick a year before and when the Bills made the trade and pulled the trigger, many others in Wyoming became Bills fans!

• Like (+1) 4

44 minutes ago, Beast said:

Made this comparioson right after the draft:

Made this one in the early pre-season:

And this almost at the end of his first season:

The first one is HYSTERICAL!  Saying Josh Allen = Drew Bledsoe is like saying Lamar Jackson is like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. These two things are not the same.

I'm cracking up at some of these replies.  I knew I would catch some flak for this post and I was still ok with it because I wasn't trying to claim I discovered Josh Allen or anything like that but it's just cool looking back to that first game and seeing a little gleam of hope after all of the suffering we had been through up to that point.  You have to keep in mind that this fanbase was entirely split down the middle if not more people not being happy with the Allen pick at the time(I was at the field house the night he was drafted and people were booing the pick and chanting for Rosen).  If you guys really wanna criticize someone's opinion, we should dig up all the posters who were claiming Josh Allen was going to be trash :D

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Considering my 3 QBs in order of who I wanted the Bills to draft were::

1.  Josh Rosen

2.  Josh Allen

3.  Mason Rudolph

I'd say I was fairly disappointed they didn't draft Rosen, as I thought he was going to just be laser sharp, but then shifted my attention to Allen.  He actually began winning me over slowly with his draft stage interview.  I thought, "OK kid, you're a Bill now, prove me wrong".  

Anyone who saw that pass(including me that day, hoped there was much more in the tank).  I just didn't get my hopes too high, as the 20 years of garbage football has beaten the living $h1t out of my optimism.  Props to anyone who saw it that day too.

Ohh... and lastly, "pre-season Peterson" had me very hesitant to get excited about anything I saw in pre-season... 

Edited by Homey D. Clown

I believe that the majority of Bills' fans were very enthusiastic about Allen after his rookie preseason.  I know I was.  Not only the TD pass against Carolina but also an amazing TD against the Browns (and Mayfield) showed enormous potential.  Remember that most folks thought Allen would sit his first season a la Mahones.  Yes, he looked raw and ragged for much of the first season but again, by the end of season one, I believe the vast majority of Bills' fans were very optimistic about next season and see what Allen could do.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Homey D. Clown said:

Considering my 3 QBs in order of who I wanted the Bills to draft were::

1.  Josh Rosen

2.  Josh Allen

3.  Mason Rudolph

I'd say I was fairly disappointed they didn't draft Rosen, as I thought he was going to just be laser sharp, but then shifted my attention to Allen.  He actually began winning me over slowly with his draft stage interview.  I thought, "OK kid, you're a Bill now, prove me wrong".  

Anyone who saw that pass(including me that day, hoped there was much more in the tank).  I just didn't get my hopes too high, as the 20 years of garbage football has beaten the living $h1t out of my optimism.  Props to anyone who saw it that day too.

Ohh... and lastly, "pre-season Peterson" had me very hesitant to get excited about anything I saw in pre-season... 

I was in the "either Josh will make me happy" camp heading into the draft.  I liked Darnold, but knew he was out.  I did not like Mayfield, Rudolph or Jackson at all.

As the evening unfolded, I ended up being ecstatic that we got Josh Allen.  Josh Rosen did a great job putting on full display what an arrogant little douche he is. 

Josh Allen did the exact opposite.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BillsBytheBay said:

many people believed him a bust.

few people had this ”generic” take. and I'm glad they feel vindicated.

No, there was quite a lot of excitement after that game seeing some of the traits that Josh exhibited. I remember the cheers after that long bomb incompletion during one of his first series. People could tell he was super gifted physically and it was discussed with a lot of excitement at the time by Bills fans.

12 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

The preseason Play from Allen's rookie year that keeps getting mentioned was a back shoulder-ish two-seamer to Ray-Ray McCloud that kind of improbably forced itself into his arms as he slid between defenders.

The very first throw that gave me a “sit up and notice” on what was to come was a deep over to McCloud that Allen stepped into, and put right past a LB’s ear hole before he could react and absolutely pasted itself into Ray-Ray’s center mass. Just ridiculous.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.