Revisiting my first Josh Allen evaluation after his first preseason game in 2018

BillsPride12

I just received a thumbs up alert from a post I made after Josh's first preseason game back in 2018 so I was able to go and revisit it, nothing earth shattering as far as X's and O's but I'd say I nailed it! And here we are with one of the most explosive offenses in the entire league ☺️

"The kid is Raw(as was advertised) but my god the potential is there...give him some time to learn the NFL game and improve his fundamentals and bring in some legit Receiver's and we could have a very explosive offense in a couple years"

Source: 

Bills' Preseason Week 1 Game Day vs. Carolina - 7 PM ET at New Era Field - Page 46 - The Stadium Wall Archives - Two Bills Drive

Edited by BillsPride12
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

Safe to say those of us who follow the Bills closely remember the TD in the corner when Josh fired an absolute laser between two defenders. First time i had to watch a replay to actually see the ball. That opened a lot of eyes. 

I reread that thread yesterday as I got a notification about it too, and I remember your post. 

Edited by NickelCity
  • Like (+1) 6

The draft is such an inexact process.  The Bills leadership did great due diligence on Josh.  But does the team really know how much the player wants to be great until he begins to work with the team?  If you look what was on the table -- Josh was the riskiest (rawest) yet safest (strongest arm, best athlete) choice.  The Bills have done a tremendous job surrounding Josh with everything he needs to be successful and of not getting in the way of his work ethic (Working with Jordan Palmer not against him).

BillsPride you saw the talent before a lot of folks great job.

One short story...We attended the Titans home game Josh's rookie year.  Not his best game by far but still a win.  We were in the airport Monday waiting for our flight home and a prominent Bills alum was on the same flight.  He was talking on the phone as he got to the gate.  He was telling the other party how "This kid sucks and will never be a pro QB.  We will be starting over again in three years" were his almost exact words.  This same ex-player has been quoted publicly now praising Josh the last two years.  I think a lot of us were like this including me.  I am so glad Josh Allen is a Buffalo Bill.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Safe to say those of us who follow the Bills closely remember the TD in the corner when Josh fired an absolute laser between two defenders. First time i had to watch a replay to actually see the ball. That opened a lot of eyes. 

I reread that thread yesterday as I got a notification about it too, and I remember your post. 

Was that the one going from right to left where you could hear the ball hit the  player as he caught it? If so, I remember it as well. Can’t remember who the player was, but the stadium was sorta quiet and it was the first time I had heard a ball “boom” when it was caught.

12 minutes ago, Airseven said:

That was a rather generic take likely offered by a lot of people.

Fair which is why I specifically said nothing earth shattering X's and O's wise but this was the first time I truly felt like we drafted the guy that could be THE guy if that makes any sense.  Even to this day it still feels kinda surreal to me that this is where we are.  I also remember at least 50% of the fanbase were not sold on him until his breakout year in 2020 but I always saw the flashes of greatness being there from his rookie season.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Airseven said:

That was a rather generic take likely offered by a lot of people.

Really dude? No real change since the old BBMB days aye…, 

nuthin but luv, 

Go Bills!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, JoeF said:

The draft is such an inexact process.  The Bills leadership did great due diligence on Josh.  But does the team really know how much the player wants to be great until he begins to work with the team?  If you look what was on the table -- Josh was the riskiest (rawest) yet safest (strongest arm, best athlete) choice.  The Bills have done a tremendous job surrounding Josh with everything he needs to be successful and of not getting in the way of his work ethic (Working with Jordan Palmer not against him).

One short story...We attended the Titans home game Josh's rookie year.  Not his best game by far but still a win.  We were in the airport Monday waiting for our flight home and a prominent Bills alum was on the same flight.  He was talking on the phone as he got to the gate.  He was telling the other party how "This kid sucks and will never be a pro QB.  We will be starting over again in three years" were his almost exact words.  This same ex-player has been quoted publicly now praising Josh the last two years.  I think a lot of us were like this including me.  I am so glad Josh Allen is a Buffalo Bill.

Kyle Orton was just jealous because he could see that Josh actually cared.     :)

….just a guess. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsPride12 said:

I just received a thumbs up alert from a post I made after Josh's first preseason game back in 2018 so I was able to go and revisit it, nothing earth shattering as far as X's and O's but I'd say I nailed it! And here we are with one of the most explosive offenses in the entire league ☺️

"The kid is Raw(as was advertised) but my god the potential is there...give him some time to learn the NFL game and improve his fundamentals and bring in some legit Receiver's and we could have a very explosive offense in a couple years"

Source: 

Bills' Preseason Week 1 Game Day vs. Carolina - 7 PM ET at New Era Field - Page 46 - The Stadium Wall Archives - Two Bills Drive

lol. Now dig up a 4 year old opinion of yours that you were wrong about and make a thread about that.

LAMP

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Source: 

Hope you didn’t hurt your arm while trying to pat yourself on the back. 😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoeF said:

I disagree completely with this.  Sure he had a strong arm and athleticism, but unless/until he could throw the ball better, it didn't mean a lot.  Many people were wrong about him, myself included, but he's a unicorn doing what he did.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Fair which is why I specifically said nothing earth shattering X's and O's wise but this was the first time I truly felt like we drafted the guy that could be THE guy if that makes any sense.  Even to this day it still feels kinda surreal to me that this is where we are.  I also remember at least 50% of the fanbase were not sold on him until his breakout year in 2020 but I always saw the flashes of greatness being there from his rookie season.  

Some will forever not be able to shake off JerrySullivanitis.

I heard a report during draft that the Pegulas flew to meet Josh Allen by our airplane watcher but had not heard same thing regarding other possible QBs.  The other QBs talked about being drafted in 1st round did nothing for me.  Other Josh (California QB, we tried that), Darnold (too mechanical), Mayfield (not a leader) and Jackson (we tried a running RB QB and traded him away) were not QBs I'd want to as 1st round picks so I was guessing it would be Josh Allen or use 1st on offense lineman and draft a QB in 2nd or 3rd and hope we got a Russel Wilson who could learn while being protected.

I'd rather be hoping for a QB who could get better than being sour on whatever Bills decided on.  I did find it odd they kept Peterman since I did not think he was worth spending energy on him and would never have predicted that he would be named starting QB.

• Like (+1) 1

Source: 

Can you check to see what I said?

If you do, I'll be your best friend.

I remember thinking “I see what got this kid drafted, but 5% chance he actually becomes something”. Glad he became what he is, I was doubtful he could actually harness all of it and play professional Football.. then 2020 comes.. followed up by nearly as good 2021, he went from a wild eyed kid to THE MAN.  So impressive.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoeF said:

Isn’t it crazy how inexact the draft is? I mean think of the MILLIONS of dollars spent by teams by not only paying a GM, but also many scouts, assistants, travel expenses, etc, and then they pick guys like Josh Rosen or Johnny Manziel or Tim Tebow or Jamarcus Russell (and the list can go on and on) in the first round. Almost anything in life gets easier as time goes on. As more data and experience is acquired, success rate should go up. And it doesn’t. It’s still just as much of a crapshoot as it’s ever been. It’s just wild.

While we are patting ourselves on the back, I may as well say that I thought he had the highest upside of any QB I had ever seen when he was at college.  

I also thought that becoming a Bill would be the worst thing for him, as we weren’t allowed to have nice things.  

1 for 2. 

He might become the best QB ever based on what he can do on the football field when compared to every other QB.  

We have a very nice thing

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.