Training Camp practice 8/10

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I do like Blue Cheese better than ranch...AND I really enjoy Carrie Underwood's legs....

....and Le Big Mac better than...

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

With a 4.6 hang time.

• Haha (+1) 1

In regards to Elam vs Benford

Its way too early to read anything into either of these players yet.  If Benford ends up being a very good player and starter, doesn’t mean Elam is a mistake, bust or what ever.  I mean no one enters a draft with the mindset you’re gonna bank on finding a 5th rounder who ascends to your starter week 1.  

Once you’re drafted, that’s it.  Draft status means nothing other than what you’re gonna get paid on your first contract.  After that, it’s all about what you do on the field.  

And if Benford was to surprise and appear more ready to start week 1, by no means does that end Elams career or make him a bust.  Not every rookie is ready to start week 1.  If they feel Elam is still working on being too handsy for instance, they may work him along slower.  

But all in all, I think the info coming out on both is good news and good to see.  Both seem to be improving, and both might prove to be good players 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Its way too early to read anything into either of these players yet.  If Benford ends up being a very good player and starter, doesn’t mean Elam is a mistake, bust or what ever.  I mean no one enters a draft with the mindset you’re gonna bank on finding a 5th rounder who ascends to your starter week 1.  

Once you’re drafted, that’s it.  Draft status means nothing other than what you’re gonna get paid on your first contract.  After that, it’s all about what you do on the field.  

And if Benford was to surprise and appear more ready to start week 1, by no means does that end Elams career or make him a bust.  Not every rookie is ready to start week 1.  If they feel Elam is still working on being too handsy for instance, they may work him along slower.  

But all in all, I think the info coming out on both is good news and good to see.  Both seem to be improving, and both might prove to be good players 

I may be wrong but I took Elam's "struggles" as they are teaching him a new coverage......against very good receivers but they knew that he was a press man corner when they drafted him and they will probably having him playing press man a bunch in the defensive sysem.

Now Benford?   He screams Levi Wallace to me which isnt necesarily a bad thing

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

36 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I may be wrong but I took Elam's "struggles" as they are teaching him a new coverage......against very good receivers but they knew that he was a press man corner when they drafted him and they will probably having him playing press man a bunch in the defensive sysem.

Now Benford?   He screams Levi Wallace to me which isnt necesarily a bad thing

Yeah they seem to definitely be working on his weaknesses and he seems to be responding well and getting better.  

Elam is someone I think has the drive, coachability, and intelligence to rapidly improve theses areas.  

I assume if Tre is back week 1 that Dane starts opposite him week 1.  But Elam IMHO has a very bright future ahead of him 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, whorlnut said:

It would prove my original theory that McD knows DBs and can coach up a late rounder into a solid player. I never thought we needed a first round corner, but whatever…

They coached up Wallace as a free agent into a starter.  #1 pick CB's are a tough call.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Coaching can't teach things like speed and quickness etc. As everyone agrees Levi was a good CB but he wasn't great because he lacked some physical skills that usually drafted moreso early round drafted players have. 

By the same token Levi is a better NFL CB than a number of players drafted in the early rounds since his selection.

Elam has the physical measurables to be a very good CB but it's also not like he was a "great" prospect.........he just had some 1st or 2nd round traits.    Not all of them by any means.

I'm not comparing him apples-to-apples with Shaq Lawson in terms of 1st round measurables for his position coming out but there was a little "this guy fits a need and could be an off-the-bus starter" just like Shaq IMO..........and perhaps a willingness to overlook some weaknesses(like Shaq) that they might have scored harder against him if they didn't see it as such a high priority need(which I don't believe it necessarily was).  

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, MPL said:

I think Winfield was gone and Clements was on his way out by the time McGee came into his own. I feel like I remember him getting torched a ton and being a liability his first couple of seasons in the league. 

Do not ever speak ill of T McGee who has one of the ultimate Bills plays in history. That of course just fell short. Loved T McGee! Was a great Bill but would agree his first couple years had some struggles.

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

My two favorite players of all time.

Man, it is tough seeing Jim looking old. 

He sounded great and looked great though so that is great to see.

3 hours ago, SBbeliever said:

They coached up Wallace as a free agent into a starter.  #1 pick CB's are a tough call.

Jalen Ramsey , Gilmore , White , revis , Peterson , 

All multiple time all pros in the last 10-15 years were 1st round picks 

Sure you can get good corners later but they’re usually scheme dependent… The dude who can do it all go early

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Jalen Ramsey , Gilmore , White , revis , Peterson , 

All multiple time all pros in the last 10-15 years were 1st round picks 

Sure you can get good corners later but they’re usually scheme dependent… The dude who can do it all go early

And 5 of the 6 corners that got all-pro votes this past year were taken in the first 2 rounds

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

By the same token Levi is a better NFL CB than a number of players drafted in the early rounds since his selection.

Elam has the physical measurables to be a very good CB but it's also not like he was a "great" prospect.........he just had some 1st or 2nd round traits.    Not all of them by any means.

I'm not comparing him apples-to-apples with Shaq Lawson in terms of 1st round measurables for his position coming out but there was a little "this guy fits a need and could be an off-the-bus starter" just like Shaq IMO..........and perhaps a willingness to overlook some weaknesses(like Shaq) that they might have scored harder against him if they didn't see it as such a high priority need(which I don't believe it necessarily was).  

Would say Elam was more of a need as we had to be concerned we only had backup quality at the position (Rex at least had Hughes). 

But I also trust this FO to make moves to fill needs more than the Whaley FO. I suspect they felt comfortable being able to get him the whole time. 

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Elam was always the rawest of those top 7 corners in this class. He was always the one who needed the most technical refinement. He, not unusually for Beane picks, is a toolsy ceiling guy. I think some of his struggles in camp are somewhat concerning in that they are the same issues I saw on his college film - handsy and struggles in transitions... but there have also been the flashes of his athleticism and his competitiveness. I agree it is not the end of the world if he either isn't ready week 1 or has to take some lumps early in his rookie year - especially given that other than the Rams our first five games are not exactly a murderer's row of passing attacks. 

Benford is another toolsy, high ceiling guy - and in that sense I don't agree with @John from Riverside that he screams Levi Wallace. Benford went late because of his level of competition and rawness. Levi went undrafted because of his lack of athleticism and his physical limitations. He has been a nice surprise in camp from all reports. I'm anxious to get a look at him on the field on Saturday. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.