Training Camp practice 8/10

YoloinOhio

Regarding Elam vs Benford:

It seems clear to me that the Bills want to get Elam out of his comfort zone and teach him to play off-coverage. Throughout his college career -- as acknowledged by Beane on draft night -- Elam was most comfortable in press-man. I think they already KNOW he can do that capably. The book on him was that he was pretty grabby and relies on his hands to win in coverage. As such, forcing him to get better at the thing he's worst at from day one by having him in off-coverage, throwing him out there on an island against Diggs and Davis and coaching him up on his weakest points...that's what I think is going on right now with Elam.

Benford, meanwhile, is a less athletic corner who is ALREADY well-versed in off-coverage, and whose strengths are zone spacing and anticipation. Given that our defense employs a lot of that kind of thing, I'm guessing he has looked more "natural" a lot of the time than Elam. He's like Levi Wallace: big, physical, smart zone corner who can play within the scheme and be successful, but who is probably going to struggle when asked to stick with receivers in man coverage.

The preseason games will certainly tell us more, but I have high hopes for both guys. Benford seems like he has a high floor but lower ceiling. Elam seems like he has a lower floor, but much higher ceiling. White, Jackson, Elam, Benford has the chance to be a really good depth chart at outside corner.

• Like (+1) 21
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 7

18 minutes ago, Logic said:

Regarding Elam vs Benford:

It seems clear to me that the Bills want to get Elam out of his comfort zone and teach him to play off-coverage. Throughout his college career -- as acknowledged by Beane on draft night -- Elam was most comfortable in press-man. I think they already KNOW he can do that capably. The book on him was that he was pretty grabby and relies on his hands to win in coverage. As such, forcing him to get better at the thing he's worst at from day one by having him in off-coverage, throwing him out there on an island against Diggs and Davis and coaching him up on his weakest points...that's what I think is going on right now with Elam.

Benford, meanwhile, is a less athletic corner who is ALREADY well-versed in off-coverage, and whose strengths are zone spacing and anticipation. Given that our defense employs a lot of that kind of thing, I'm guessing he has looked more "natural" a lot of the time than Elam. He's like Levi Wallace: big, physical, smart zone corner who can play within the scheme and be successful, but who is probably going to struggle when asked to stick with receivers in man coverage.

The preseason games will certainly tell us more, but I have high hopes for both guys. Benford seems like he has a high floor but lower ceiling. Elam seems like he has a lower floor, but much higher ceiling. White, Jackson, Elam, Benford has the chance to be a really good depth chart at outside corner.

Also of note is the new stressing to the regfs on illegal contact by the DB's for this year that evne more so would make me as a D coordinator feel a lot more better about zone vs so much press.  So getting Elam more comfortable in zone would be a key until the teams get an idea how much flaggin is going to be goin on from the "consistent" reffing that will be taking place on this illegal contact stress to officials for this year

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Physicsman said:

Yes, in 2003. I'd even go so far as to say 3. Antoine Winfield, Nate Clements and Terrence McGee as Nickel.  

I think Winfield was gone and Clements was on his way out by the time McGee came into his own. I feel like I remember him getting torched a ton and being a liability his first couple of seasons in the league. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, finn said:

Agree, except that I always thought it would be nice to have more than solid opposite White. Did the Bills every have two excellent corners?

At the time, I think Darby and Gilmore were regarded as a pretty competent duo.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, MPL said:

I think Winfield was gone and Clements was on his way out by the time McGee came into his own. I feel like I remember him getting torched a ton and being a liability his first couple of seasons in the league. 

I think they all overlapped in 2003, which was McGee’s rookie year and Winfield’s last year as a Bill.

12 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I think they all overlapped in 2003, which was McGee’s rookie year and Winfield’s last year as a Bill.

Yes, in 2003 Clements and Winfield were our outside corners and McGee was the Nickel (slot) corner. Then in 2004 after Winfield left, McGee was moved to outside corner alongside Clements. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

This is great news. This coaching staff is hesitant to compliment rookies, so it must be very noticeable improvement. 

I seriously do not think Leslie Frazier has ever had a negative thing to say about any player on the Bills he has ever coached or been around.  A little more bite would not be a bad thing.  I think he makes milk toast seem jacked up. Could be why noone is hiring him to be their head coach.  You don't need to be a walking freakshow.  But we aren't playing shuffle board or cornhole here.  The passion and emotion of a Dan Campbell is at least entertaining and inspiring if nothing else.  

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I seriously do not think Leslie Frazier has ever had a negative thing to say about any player on the Bills he has ever coached or been around.  A little more bite would not be a bad thing.  I think he makes milk toast seem jacked up. Could be why noone is hiring him to be their head coach.  You don't need to be a walking freakshow.  But we aren't playing shuffle board or cornhole here.  The passion and emotion of a Dan Campbell is at least entertaining and inspiring if nothing else.  

SentimentalMeanGourami-size_restricted.g

3 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Imagine if Benford winds up winning the CB job, I still think Eliam will figure it out and be a great CB. 

I dont think anyone expects him to win a starting job over Elam and Jackson. Early on, there was talk that perhaps he would end up at safety.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.