Is Mahomes-Allen the new Brady-Manning? (The Ringer podcast episode)

Logic

5 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

The only thing Mahomes has that Allen doesn’t is Andy Reid. To me no other QBs skill set compares favourably with Allen’s overall.
PMs year will be significantly impacted by Reid’s success (or lack thereof) in scheming around the absence of Hill and Kelsey being a year older. The Chief’s floor is still a good and very productive offence but I won’t be surprised if they take a step back.

Mahomes has a better OL.

53 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

And TE.

Sure but Kelce will be 33 this year and has had to increasingly play through injury, notably last year. He is a top tier TE of course but I have the same question regarding his game and how it might be affected by Hill’s absence as I do Mahomes’. The conventional wisdom is that you can cover one of Hill or Kelce but not both. Well coverages will be adjusted for that going forward. I look forward to seeing the result. A lot depends on how well Andy Reid incorporates the new WRs into his offence. 

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Agree 1

I've said before whenever this topic comes up....Mahomes and Allen are ELITE tier QB's.  That is to say, THEY can elevate a roster, carry a bad defense, make up for injuiries, a bad line etc, and still win at a high level.  They are the type of QB that CARRY teams to super bowls.  

If you have this type of QB, then you have it...and if you don't you don't.  Trying to compare who throws it farther, and so on and on....is fun for fans, but ultimately it doesn't matter.  

What is fun is that since KC and Buffalo have Mahomes and Allen...it's likely, as it's already happend now a couple times...that these two are going to collide in playoff games.  Sure these things matter, but I think we can already see that we are talking about 2 great QB's without having account for super bowls or playoff wins.

....it won't surprise me at all if KC and the Bills, once again, run into each other in this upcoming post season again.  I'm going to enjoy the show, and hope my team comes out on top, but regardless, I already know the 2 QB's are elite and worthy of victory.

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/9/2022 at 2:23 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

I agree 100%.

At the end of last yea we possible the best QB play ever, expecting better paly is unrealistic but consistency ifs the issue .Atlanta I think was a fluke, i think Beasley ran a wrong route and the other two ints were deflections.  The Jax game was truly disappointing, the entire team look out of it.  How we go beat by a rookie QB and an Urban Meyer coached team is hard to fathom.  The windy Pats game i blame on mcd and Dabol.

The Jacksonville game may be one of the most mystifying loses in Bills history. It will forever be the one and only highlight of Urban Meyer's pathetic NFL coaching career. ... And it really did hurt this team when the play-offs came.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/9/2022 at 12:59 PM, Logic said:

At the following link, you can find several different links to listen to the podcast, from Spotify to Apple, etc.

https://www.theringer.com/2022/8/9/23298232/patrick-mahomes-josh-allen-new-tom-brady-peyton-manning-nfl-football

Is Mahomes-Allen the New Brady-Manning?

Lindsay Jones and Kevin Clark examine Kansas City’s revamped receiving corps and how they’ll affect Patrick Mahomes’s QB play before discussing Buffalo’s new OC, Ken Dorsey, and speculating whether he’ll be able to elevate Josh Allen’s game to the next level this season.

It is obviously early, but your analogy isn't so far off imo. 🙂

It still sickens me that Allen had an incredible stat line in the post season and the Bills STILL lost to the Chiefs.

Unfortunately, thru no fault of his own, Allen and Mahomes officially DO NOT have a rivalry until Allen beats him in the post season and/or until he wins a SB.

21 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

The only thing Mahomes has that Allen doesn’t is Andy Reid. To me no other QBs skill set compares favourably with Allen’s overall.
PMs year will be significantly impacted by Reid’s success (or lack thereof) in scheming around the absence of Hill and Kelsey being a year older. The Chief’s floor is still a good and very productive offence but I won’t be surprised if they take a step back.

The Chefs have hosted four consecutive AFC Championships…it would be difficult for them to take a step forward, no?

7 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I mentioned this before but regardless of how the season plays out I hope Beane puts a priority on the OL in the 2023 draft. 

You don’t draft guards in the 1st so be prepared for something else at pick 32.

20 minutes ago, eball said:

The Chefs have hosted four consecutive AFC Championships…it would be difficult for them to take a step forward, no?

You don’t draft guards in the 1st so be prepared for something else at pick 32.

Allen covers up for the OL by being able to scramble and avoid the rush. OL (tackle or guard) is something I would like to improved in the early rounds of the 2023 draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, CSBill said:

The Jacksonville game may be one of the most mystifying loses in Bills history. It will forever be the one and only highlight of Urban Meyer's pathetic NFL coaching career. ... And it really did hurt this team when the play-offs came.

As per reports on that day,  the Bills did not respect the opponent.  The Jaguars took that to heart and pounded on us. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.