Is Mahomes-Allen the new Brady-Manning? (The Ringer podcast episode)

Logic

2 minutes ago, wjag said:

Teams that gave the Bills fits last year all had a good to great pass rush.  Including Jacksonville where Allen v Allen went to Allen.  Let's hope Kromer improves both the run blocking and pass blocking.  I don't care how good you are, if your OLINE is a sieve, it ain't happening.

Their Josh Allen had a career day, who was primarily blocking him or trying to.

37 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

Unfortunately, the Bills and their fans aren’t lucky enough to live in a two QB world….

Herbert and Burrow are simply too good to ignore…are they as good? No, but they are true franchise QBs on good teams.

I will say I think the Bills with Josh Allen are going to beat the rams because Josh is better than Stafford and because most fans are completely underestimating how much the rams lost this offseason. Yes, our secondary won’t be ready on opening day but either will their’s.

There were other high quality quarterbacks during the era of Brady-Manning, too.

Roethlisberger and Rivers are both future Hall of Famers, and both were active in the same AFC as Brady and Manning. That didn't stop the dominant Brady-Manning from being the dominant and defining QB battle of the decade, though.

Maybe it's more like the 80s and 90s, where you had Marino, Kelly, Elway, and Moon all active in the AFC. 

The 2022 AFC is maybe as stacked at quarterback as it has EVER been in league history. Still, I think Mahomes and Allen are the cream of the crop. I CAN see a world where Herbert usurps Mahomes.

49 minutes ago, wjag said:

Teams that gave the Bills fits last year all had a good to great pass rush.  Including Jacksonville where Allen v Allen went to Allen.  Let's hope Kromer improves both the run blocking and pass blocking.  I don't care how good you are, if your OLINE is a sieve, it ain't happening.

So you are saying if Allen v Allen went to Josh Allen Rd 1 pick 7  instead of Allen v Allen  wnt to Josh Allen Rd1 Pick 7 .....  gotcha.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Their Josh Allen had a career day, who was primarily blocking him or trying to.

On that day, pretty sure it was cody ford. 

EDIT: Just checked, was Ford at RG and Daryl Williams at RT.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Scarily enough, I DON'T think Josh is done growing and improving. I DO think his best football is still ahead of him. I know that's an outlandish notion, but I believe it. I haven't seen any signs that he has hit his ceiling yet.

In terms of his spectacular plays I can't see him going even higher but in terms of becoming smarter with the football,  seeing more things pre snap etc then yeah I agree. 

Recency effect is huge in sports and if he doesn't play like he did in the playoffs we'll hear the usual stuff from the media about regression or problems without Daboll.  Obviously it's impossible for him to play like that for a whole season but imagine if he hit that sort of level for 70 percent of his games, just imagine what his stats would be like. MVP for sure

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea… both were atrocious… as was Dion Dawkins. 

Which is really interesting because looking at the stats buffalo was better overall on offense than theirs. They just couldn't put a drive together to save their lives. 

Also 12 penalties for 118 yards didn't help. 

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They moved the ball throughout the game, but drives would stall due to penalties and massive sacks…. It was one of a few games last season where Allen(Josh that is)got his ass kicked. 

Yep. And Josh Allen, the other guy, had the rare triple: a sack, fumble recovery and interception.  

And the final insult as I recall was Gabe dropping a pass that would have put them in Bass-o-matic range.  

Some have brought up the influx of QB talent, and it's a very valid point (ticks me off that Manning was really Brady's only competition for many of those 20 years or so).  

But I still see Allen & Mahomes as 1A and 1B, unless proven otherwise. I think they're a clear tier above Herbert, Burrow & the rest.

• Like (+1) 1

I believe there is a higher tier to Allen. It's not so much about his actual play (which could improve and be more consistent), but mostly due to a better offensive system.

Many people believe Daboll was a great OC, and he definitely did his job, but I believe that Allen eventually grew out of Daboll's offense. It's about molding the next offense into Allen's passing strengths and less about his running (which should instead be used at the right time, rather than all the time). 

7 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

The past is the past, I don't like all the comparison stuff.

The Mahomes-Allen talk will be over this year.

Next year it will be Allen-Mahomes.

The AFC is wide open.... Guys named. Burrow,  Jackson, Herbert will all disagree

The biggest game that Manning and Brady could face off in was the afc title game.

Highest stakes, biggest moment possible for that rivalry.

Manning, the guy who "couldn't winnthe big game" was 3-1 in those meetings, or 75% win percentage.

There are no yeah buts. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

16 hours ago, The Wiz said:

On that day, pretty sure it was cody ford. 

EDIT: Just checked, was Ford at RG and Daryl Williams at RT.

Cody Ford is the closest thing this regime has to a bust and I recall how thrilled they were to get him early in the draft. So much for Ford playing tackle, he isnt even first on the depth chart at guard, He is behind Ryan Bates who barely made the team last year,  This will be Ford's last year with the Bills.

• Agree 1

"Is Mahomes-Allen the new Brady-Manning?"

I'd say yeah, it is because the NFL wants that for publicity, and they'll push that narrative for everything they can get out of it.  That, and it does appear to be THE rivalry at the top right now.  

16 hours ago, wjag said:

Yep. And Josh Allen, the other guy, had the rare triple: a sack, fumble recovery and interception.  

And the final insult as I recall was Gabe dropping a pass that would have put them in Bass-o-matic range.  

I think we've determined that the only thing that can truly stop Josh Allen is...Josh Allen.

Bottom line is every era has multiple top flight QBs.  Brady/Manning was always hyped by the media during that timeframe even though Ben, Rodgers, Brees, and Rivers we’re all excellent.  The difference was the team around them and coaching and GM’s.

Now Allen/Mahomes have at their heels Herbert, Burrow, and Lamar.  Now there are older guys still viable, but these fab 5 are going to Duke it out for a long time.  The key is who has the better team and the coaching.

Wilson will still be around for awhile so I wouldn’t count him out.  I have no idea if the new Denver coach, Hackett can pull them together as they have talent on this team, and the $ will be flowing with the Walton family.  Basically one of the richest families in the world so cash over cap is a non issue.  They’ll keep bringing in talent and the Walmart Wltons will be writing the checks.  

To them this is a toy as Walmart is everywhere.

17 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Which is really interesting because looking at the stats buffalo was better overall on offense than theirs. They just couldn't put a drive together to save their lives. 

Also 12 penalties for 118 yards didn't help. 

As with every Bills loss in 2021 save the Colts game, the Bills did only what they needed to do to lose the game, no more and no less. We used to call this being Billsy, and it surprised me as usually that reflects most on coaching and McD was the antithesis of Billsy in his first-year run to the playoffs with Tie Rod.

The only thing Mahomes has that Allen doesn’t is Andy Reid. To me no other QBs skill set compares favourably with Allen’s overall.
PMs year will be significantly impacted by Reid’s success (or lack thereof) in scheming around the absence of Hill and Kelsey being a year older. The Chief’s floor is still a good and very productive offence but I won’t be surprised if they take a step back.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.