SI: Deep dive into Sean McVay

YoloinOhio

13 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

He is the youngest super bowl winning head coach ever, and has made the super bowl a separate time, both with QBs that we’re not top 5 in the league, likely not even top 10. Of the active head coaches, he likely has the best chance at being the best other than Belicheat. 

Where does Stafford fall in the pecking order of QBs? I honestly don’t know, great arm but he can be up and down. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I've always argued potato chips counts as a vegetable.

If it comes from a plant, its a vegetable, 

1 hour ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Biotch

He’ll get tired of her in a few years and rent some other hottie for while, rinse and repeat… of course he will have deep feeling about these actions….

14 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The 2 snack foods I couldn't live without are potato chips and chocolate chip cookies

Have you tried potatoes stuffed with chocolate chips? 

The smaller size potatoes stuffed are great but you need to make sure you tie them with string so they do not open up baking.

S'mores Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are good too but due to Sweet Potatoes natural sweetness use unsweetened chips.

There is a recipe for Potato Chip Chocolate Chip Cookies I have not tried.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Where does Stafford fall in the pecking order of QBs? I honestly don’t know, great arm but he can be up and down. 

Stafford has been criminally underrated his whole career 

He was in purgatory in Detroit

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Watkins101 said:

He is the youngest super bowl winning head coach ever, and has made the super bowl a separate time, both with QBs that we’re not top 5 in the league, likely not even top 10. Of the active head coaches, he likely has the best chance at being the best other than Belicheat. 

In 2018 Goff was 4th in yards and 5th in TDs.  In 2019, he was 3rd in yards and 6th in TDs. 

Last season, the Rams signed a guy named Matt Stafford as their QB.  True, he was "not top 5...not even top 10"---he was top 3 (yards).  Top 2 in TDs, #6 in QB rating. 

McVay is a genius in Goff's rookie year, then, the next 2 years.....less of a genius as Goff somewhat declined.  Then, his GM scores another big  get for him with Stafford and presto!---McVay is a genius again!

He was a year younger than Tomlin was when he won his first SB.   Tomlin Also brought his team to 2 SB in his first 4 years (it took McVay 5).  Who is saying that Tomlin may become one  of the *best* coaches ever?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Watkins101 said:

Let this sink in:

• Sean McVay is the youngest coach in the NFL.
  • Bill Belichick is the oldest coach in the NFL.
  • Sean McVay will be Bill Belichick's age in 2056.
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

In 2018 Goff was 4th in yards and 5th in TDs.  In 2019, he was 3rd in yards and 6th in TDs. 

Last season, the Rams signed a guy named Matt Stafford as their QB.  True, he was "not top 5...not even top 10"---he was top 3 (yards).  Top 2 in TDs, #6 in QB rating. 

McVay is a genius in Goff's rookie year, then, the next 2 years.....less of a genius as Goff somewhat declined.  Then, his GM scores another big  get for him with Stafford and presto!---McVay is a genius again!

He was a year younger than Tomlin was when he won his first SB.   Tomlin Also brought his team to 2 SB in his first 4 years (it took McVay 5).  Who is saying that Tomlin may become one  of the *best* coaches ever?

Stanford also led the league in interceptions last year. Something ignored in the above is how well Stafford played before/Goff played after the trade, as well how Goff improved under McVay. Goff’s YPA went from 5.3 before mcvay to a high 8.0 with him. It went up to 8.4, before settling to 7.2. For the lions, Goff had 6.6, his lowest since his rookie season. Sure, some of that can be attributed to the lions being worse, but some could be attributed to McVay’s offense. Under Mcvay, Stafford equaled his career high completion percentage of 67.2% (which he hasn’t hit since 2015), and touchdowns at 41 (which he hadn’t hit since 2011). Again, some of that is because the rams are better, but also some is likely due to the coaching. 

As for the Tomlin comment, you’re ignoring what’s happened since his early career success. No one is saying anything about Tomlin having a shot at best coach ever because he hasn’t followed up with dominance. This is kinda like me saying Josh Allen has the potential to be one of the best QBs of all time, and being countered with “But russel Wilson  had more early career success, and no one is calling him a top 3 of all time QB” Could Allen/McVay become some of the best we’ve ever seen? Sure. Could they also not? Absolutely. 

7 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

Stanford also led the league in interceptions last year. Something ignored in the above is how well Stafford played before/Goff played after the trade, as well how Goff improved under McVay. Goff’s YPA went from 5.3 before mcvay to a high 8.0 with him. It went up to 8.4, before settling to 7.2. For the lions, Goff had 6.6, his lowest since his rookie season. Sure, some of that can be attributed to the lions being worse, but some could be attributed to McVay’s offense. Under Mcvay, Stafford equaled his career high completion percentage of 67.2% (which he hasn’t hit since 2015), and touchdowns at 41 (which he hadn’t hit since 2011). Again, some of that is because the rams are better, but also some is likely due to the coaching. 

As for the Tomlin comment, you’re ignoring what’s happened since his early career success. No one is saying anything about Tomlin having a shot at best coach ever because he hasn’t followed up with dominance. This is kinda like me saying Josh Allen has the potential to be one of the best QBs of all time, and being countered with “But russel Wilson  had more early career success, and no one is calling him a top 3 of all time QB” Could Allen/McVay become some of the best we’ve ever seen? Sure. Could they also not? Absolutely. 

I like how my phone wasn’t the only one to correct Stafford to Stanford lol

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Watkins101 said:

“some of that could be attributed to the Rams being better”

”some of that can be attributed to the Lions being worse”.

jeez,  at least you acknowledged that.

Before McVay,  Goff had Fisher and Fassel jr., an awful combo.  Mcavsy is a very good OC.  Yet under his guidance, Goffs performance deteriorated to the point they got rid of him.  In steps a “top 5” QB (and Von Miller) and McVay gets a SB win (luckily drawing the Bengals). 

When the Rams run out of “win now” money and with a paucity of picks and Stafford hangs it up,  McVay won’t have a 1st round rookie QB to groom (or get rid of again). 

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

“some of that could be attributed to the Rams being better”

”some of that can be attributed to the Lions being worse”.

jeez,  at least you acknowledged that.

Before McVay,  Goff had Fisher and Fassel jr., an awful combo.  Mcavsy is a very good OC.  Yet under his guidance, Goffs performance deteriorated to the point they got rid of him.  In steps a “top 5” QB (and Von Miller) and McVay gets a SB win (luckily drawing the Bengals). 

When the Rams run out of “win now” money and with a paucity of picks and Stafford hangs it up,  McVay won’t have a 1st round rookie QB to groom (or get rid of again). 

I don’t think Goff was ever that good. I think McVay disguised a flawed QB pretty well. I still don’t really think Stafford was a top 5 QB last year, though he did have yards and TDS to support that.

2 hours ago, Watkins101 said:

I don’t think Goff was ever that good. I think McVay disguised a flawed QB pretty well. I still don’t really think Stafford was a top 5 QB last year, though he did have yards and TDS to support that.

That's a weird hill to die on.  Not top 5 is laughable. But if you think saying so is key to your argument, then, yeah--I guess you have to go with that.

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's a weird hill to die on.  Not top 5 is laughable. But if you think saying so is key to your argument, then, yeah--I guess you have to go with that.

Not really a hill I need to die on. But I was curious, so I looked up a bunch of lists grading QBs for their 2021 performance specifically, and Matt Stafford got 5,5, 6, 7, 7, 8, and 12 from the lists I looked at. That would put his average ranking at 7, though I didn’t pay much attention to the other QBs which could have had a worse average. 

The most important point (the hill to die on) though is that McVay is THE youngest head coach in the NFL. Despite being the youngest, he has a super bowl victory and another appearance. If you dont think there’s a chance (even if it’s <1%) he becomes one of the best coaches of all time, that’s kind of silly. 

4 hours ago, Watkins101 said:

Not really a hill I need to die on. But I was curious, so I looked up a bunch of lists grading QBs for their 2021 performance specifically, and Matt Stafford got 5,5, 6, 7, 7, 8, and 12 from the lists I looked at. That would put his average ranking at 7, though I didn’t pay much attention to the other QBs which could have had a worse average. 

The most important point (the hill to die on) though is that McVay is THE youngest head coach in the NFL. Despite being the youngest, he has a super bowl victory and another appearance. If you dont think there’s a chance (even if it’s <1%) he becomes one of the best coaches of all time, that’s kind of silly. 

The guy was top 5 in yards, yards/game, passes per game, YPA, TDs, QBR,  game winning drives and comebacks, passing TD%.  He was twice NFC Offensive Player of the Week. He won 4 playoff games, including the SB.

These are facts.  You have referenced opinion pieces--like your own ("I don't think he was top 5").

As I said, Tomlin was McVay several years ago.  If you now want to change your position to "<1% chance McVay finishes his career as the best HC ever"---yeah, that's where I was already, lol.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.