Psst. Wanna buy a football league?

PromoTheRobot

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I think the entire idea of Spring football is flawed and always will be.  Nearly every Spring league that has started ultimately fails to generate enough interest/revenue to make it sustainable.

I will say that The Rocks seems to be taking the right approach with this version of thr XFL in terms of taking time to scout players, hiring execs with NFL experience, and using his connections to sign deals.

In the end though, I think football fans enjoy the break from games and that any spring league always comes off as second rate.

The only chance for a spring league is to make the produce different from the NFL like an Arena League.  

I guess if you are really really rich and need to show a loss for tax purposes it might be a passing thought, or not…, 

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

I think the entire idea of Spring football is flawed and always will be.  Nearly every Spring league that has started ultimately fails to generate enough interest/revenue to make it sustainable.

I will say that The Rocks seems to be taking the right approach with this version of thr XFL in terms of taking time to scout players, hiring execs with NFL experience, and using his connections to sign deals.

In the end though, I think football fans enjoy the break from games and that any spring league always comes off as second rate.

The only chance for a spring league is to make the produce different from the NFL like an Arena League.  

Spring football isn't flawed. How these leagues were funded and run is what's flawed. The USFL just completed it's season without incident and are ready for year two. That league is owned by Fox Sports with partial interest by NBC Sports. By their metrics the USFL was a success. They've already sold 65% of their adverting space for 2023.

The XFL, even with support from ESPN, was always a shakier proposition. They are already behind the USFL and they have a more expensive operational plan, playing in individual markets

The "flaw" in spring football is that no one is watching---yet these guys refuse to learn a lesson that has been taught over and over.

The meaningless HOF Game, with 40 min rain delay and highlighting 2 zeros at QB, posted its 2nd lowest ratings in 10 years--5.5 million viewers.  Yet despite this, it had 4.5 times as many as the USFL Championship game.....and 4 times as many viewers as all 4 Week 10 games combined.  

This is always the pattern with these leagues.  Their longevity is proportional to the length of time their investors wish to lose money.  What is the in the XFL's prospectus?  "We are already out of money and we don't expect to ever turn a profit before we declare bankruptcy"?

It's a product that has no demand.   

Edited by Mr. WEO

10 hours ago, JohnNord said:

The biggest issue to me is the QB play. The top about 120 QBs on the planet can't play in these leagues because the NFL wraps up the top 100 pros from active rosters, practice squads and future contracts. Also the top college QBs are not available, so the QB play is as weak as my local high school, which did at one time include Trevor Simien and Paxton Lynch. The rest of rosters are fine but what a difference good QB makes to the entertainment factor 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.