Preseason week 1: Colts at Bills

YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, Greg S said:

Look on the bright side. Whoever the Bills play on defense will get a good test as they go up against the Colts starting QB rather than the backup or a no-name scrub.

There might be a few first stringers sprinkled in, but it's likely to be mostly second string defensive  players for Buffalo going up against the Colts' first string offense.  I'm OK with that, but it's not going to give us a true picture of what our first string defense can do.   It will be about evaluating individual performances.  

All you guys saying you’d be fine Josh and most of the offensive starters not playing a down in the pre season will be the first guys blowing up the game and post game threads when the offense looks like a rust bucket the first game against the Rams. Give me a friggin break, they all need some real preseason game reps especially considering we are playing the SB champs game one. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 11

15 hours ago, Greg S said:

What about Keenum? How much time would you give him? If Allen doesn't play I would assume he will start. Maybe not a half but could see a quarter.

The entire first half. He needs his reps now, and then hopefully we never see him again after September 1.

Diggs didn’t play at all last year and Allen played very little in the 3rd game. I expect to see something similar this year. Maybe diggs gets a series since he was coming off the oblique injury last year. Miller played a little last year for the broncos but i would be surprised if he plays at all for us this preseason. 

I don’t think lack of preseason football contributed to the Steelers loss. 

• Agree 4

10 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

There might be a few first stringers sprinkled in, but it's likely to be mostly second string defensive  players for Buffalo going up against the Colts' first string offense.  I'm OK with that, but it's not going to give us a true picture of what our first string defense can do.   It will be about evaluating individual performances.  

It will be a good test for our backups and rookies going up against the Colts starters. As you mentioned evaluating these players is what's important here.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Diggs didn’t play at all last year and Allen played very little in the 3rd game. I expect to see something similar this year. Maybe diggs gets a series since he was coming off the oblique injury last year. Miller played a little last year for the broncos but i would be surprised if he plays at all for us this preseason. 

I don’t think lack of preseason football contributed to the Steelers loss. 

agreed. It was a tough matchup and the Bills didn't have a great game plan. Funny how the narrative changes... Plenty of people were predicting a loss to the Steelers prior to the game.

10 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

All you guys saying you’d be fine Josh and most of the offensive starters not playing a down in the pre season will be the first guys blowing up the game and post game threads when the offense looks like a rust bucket the first game against the Rams. Give me a friggin break, they all need some real preseason game reps especially considering we are playing the SB champs game one. 

Yep we looked terrible against Steelers first game and that was at home. We actually looked terrible in quite a few games last year. Steelers, Jags, Colts, Titans...We're playing the superbowl champs in their building.

Edited by Awwufelloff

17 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I've never coached football but I my assumption is that the booth would be better because you can see everything.  

I wonder what the % is of coaches in the booth or sidelines.

I think some OCs really want that face-to-face with the QB on the sidelines...it probably depends upon if the OC has somebody they trust  (QB coach) who can serve that role during games.  I believe Dorsey will likely stay in the booth because Brady will be his guy for the 1-to-1 with Josh during games.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

I fully expect the starters to play some in game 2 and a little more in game 3

12 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

Why? Didn't Rams sit most of their starters the entire preseason? These guys know how to play football and they practice hard. They'll be ready once the games start

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.