Preseason week 1: Colts at Bills

YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ray Ray!

I'll always remember that first TD to Ray Ray as the moment that Josh Allen opened my eyes to his potential. That throw was different from anything I had ever witnessed from a Bills qb. And I still don't understand how he threaded that between three defenders. 

When he kept over Barr, it was obvious he had the heart of a lion.

• Like (+1) 6

So Jeremy and Howard had a fun conversation yesterday sparked by the Chargers HC stated Herbert wouldn’t take a snap in the preseason nor has he ever since entering the NFL.

In addition, the Chargers HC said he’s not playing any of the starters who are veterans and Inam paraphrasing.  If you go on Audacy their show yesterday should still be there on demand.

They then as a fun exercise said who should McD sit as they already know what they have in these players.

Offense

Allen

Diggs

Davis

McKenzie

Morse

Dawkins

Defense

Von

Oliver

Milano

Edmunds

Basically the whole secondary except for Elam.

There is a small argument to play Allen a little on the 3rd game so Dorsey and Allen can get on the same page with play calling.

Personally, I agree except for Morse and Dawkins.  I see the value of getting our starting O Linemen gelling together for a quarter each PS game.

Starting RBs benefit from live action as they don’t get it in camp.  On defense there is value in Basham, Epenesa, and Rousseau getting snaps as they are still young.

What do you guys think about young guys and backups getting the majority of snaps, and the injury risk is too great in a year where we are hopefully in a SB run.

Love to hear you’re arguments.  Sure we are all excited, but I’m more excited about seeing our rookies and depth seeing what they can do in game time play.  I could care less if we lose all three games.

In 2020 we had no preseason and look how well we started that year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Anyone else love it when the Bills App Widget switched to the scoreboard?

What?  Please explain!

7 hours ago, GoodHands15 said:

I still remember watching this

Hell yes.  When Josh fired that freaking laser to Ray Ray I was like, “not many humans can make that throw.”  It’s why all year long I shook my head at those who criticized Josh’s stats.  It was plain as day to anyone who wanted to see it that the kid was special.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The only "starters" I'd play pre-season are Spencer Brown (if healthy), Greg Rousseau, Kaiir Elam and Dane Jackson. That is because Spencer needs the reps (and is in a battle with Quessenberry who I would give reps in pre-season) and Elam and Jackson are basically in a battle with each other for a slot once Tre is healthy. Rousseau I'd just give a series or two in one of the games rotating in with Boogie and AJ. I want him to get his feet wet again before the season kicks off try and see if he can take some of the practice development into a live setting. 

Allen, Singletary, Knox, Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, Dawkins, Saffold, Morse, Bates, Von, DaQuan, Oliver, Tremiane, Milano, Taron, Hyde and obviously (injured anyway) Poyer would all sit the entire pre-season if I had my way. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The only "starters" I'd play pre-season are Spencer Brown (if healthy), Greg Rousseau, Kaiir Elam and Dane Jackson. That is because Spencer needs the reps (and is in a battle with Quessenberry who I would give reps in pre-season) and Elam and Jackson are basically in a battle with each other for a slot once Tre is healthy. Rousseau I'd just give a series or two in one of the games rotating in with Boogie and AJ. I want him to get his feet wet again before the season kicks off try and see if he can take some of the practice development into a live setting. 

Allen, Singletary, Knox, Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, Dawkins, Saffold, Morse, Bates, Von, DaQuan, Oliver, Tremiane, Milano, Taron, Hyde and obviously (injured anyway) Poyer would all sit the entire pre-season if I had my way. 

Yeah, we have basically the same list…I should have included McKenzie and Oliver on mine.  I agree that Brown needs reps.  I don’t mind Singletary getting a few carries also.

Personally, I don't want Allen out there until we have a our projected starting OL out there at full capacity. No point risking him during the preseason. We all know what he can do and I'm happy with him just getting reps in practice. I know he won't do that and he'll want to be on the field some just because of the type of player/competitor he is. We don't need Diggs, Davis, or McKenzie out there either. These guys have all been here and in the system for 3 years. The only time I would want the starting OL out there is if Allen is out there. Other than that, all backups and those fighting for a spot all the time. I don't want to see Singletary or Cook on the field too much either. Maybe 4 or 5 carries for each guy and a pass or two out of the backfield. I want to see Zack Moss, Duke Johnson, and Raheem Blackshear getting the carries. Those 3 guys are fighting it out for likely one roster spot. I want to see if Moss is better, like has been said about him during camp this year the most. He adds a power element the other two do not. I also believe that we know what we have in Knox so the other TE's on the roster need to get most of the burn. 

On defense, every guy who's been here in the starting lineup for the last 3 seasons only needs a series or two at the most. I'm sure they are chomping at the bit to get out there and hit people other than their teammates. That being said, I don't want Von out there for a single snap. I want to see the backups and those fighting for a spot to see 90% of the snaps on defense. We really need to let the young guys on the boundaries get in a solid amount of work. We also need to let Hamlin and Johnson get a lot of run at the Safety positions. I also want to see how Terrell Bernard handles himself at multiple positions in the LB group. I have a feeling he may be getting groomed to take Edmunds' spot next year if he shows well and Edmunds prices himself out of what we are willing to pay.

All in all, we have 29 days until the Regular Season opener. Hoping for good health for everyone and good progress from the younger guys throughout.  

Since people are talking about who should and shouldn't play in preseason I thought you all might find this study interesting.  It is a study about injuries with and without preseason games/camp. They took I think the 4 years leading up to covid year with no preseason and compared the injury rates in the first four weeks of the regular season.  I will leave their conclusion as a snippet but the article has some charts that some may find interesting.  Charts with data for injuries to each position group and injuries to part of the body data.  I thought it was interesting.

Discussion

The most important finding of this study was that the injury rate during weeks 1-4 of the 2020-2021 NFL season was significantly higher than the injury rates during weeks 1-4 of the 2016-2017, 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 NFL preseasons and regular seasons. The findings of our study confirmed our hypothesis that players were at a higher risk of injury during the early 2020-2021 regular season following cancellation of preseason games due to Covid-19. Our findings highlight the importance of the NFL training camp in preparing NFL athletes for the rigors of the NFL regular season and its influence on injury prevention.

Similar to the findings of Feeley et al.14 and Elliott et al.,15 we observed that more injuries occurred during the first 2 weeks of the NFL preseason (777) (60%) when compared with the second 2 weeks (515) (40%). This trend was noted to continue, although less dramatically, during the 2020-2021 regular season; 300 (52%) injuries occurred during the first 2 weeks, whereas 282 (48%) occurred during the second 2 weeks. The results of our study suggest that in the absence of an NFL preseason, injuries are more common during the early regular season, similar to the injury trend noted by Feeley et al.14 during training camp. However, given the unprecedented nature of the Covid-19 pandemic and its effect on the 2020-2021 NFL season, such a finding should be interpreted with this limitation in mind.

We speculate that factors similar to those proposed to account for the increased injury rate noted in the early NFL preseason also contributed to the increased injury rate noted in NFL players during weeks 1-4 of the 2020-2021 regular season. These factors include the relative deconditioning and muscle weakness that occurs during the offseason,16,17 as well as fatigue, which suggests that fatigued muscles are more vulnerable to injury.18,19 It is likely that the deconditioning of players during the early 2020 NFL regular season was similar to that of past NFL preseasons; however, during the 2020 season players were asked to play for more time and at a higher level than they would typically be expected to play during the early preseason, specifically, starters. Thus, increased time and intensity of play in the context of baseline deconditioning likely explains why the injury rate during the early 2020 NFL season was higher than the injury rate during past NFL preseasons. Our findings contribute to growing body of evidence that fatigue and deconditioning may place athletes at a higher risk for injury.

Saw et al., in their systematic review of subjective measures used to monitor athletes’ responses to training, noted subjective measures, including mood disturbance, perceived stress and recovery and symptoms of stress, to be highly sensitive to an athlete’s well-being in response to acute and chronic exercise loads.20In light of these findings, the NFL may consider implementing athletes’ self-reported questionnaires in order to monitor athletes’ levels of exhaustion. The benefits of monitoring fatigue and athletes’ well-being include revealing the need for recovery in order to prevent injury, guiding training and competition scheduling, and understanding changes in athletic performance related to fatigue.2,21 To our knowledge, no such measures have been practiced in attempt to reduce injury risk in professional football players. Future investigations may be useful in evaluation of these subjective measurement techniques and their efficacy in injury reduction in the NFL.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2666061X21000808

As for me, I'm crossed on this.  There is injury risk in preseason but there is also benefits in slowly ramping up conditioning in the preseason to play in the regular season full time that helps limit injuries in the regular season.  I think that everyone should get at least a little playtime IMO.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This concept of not playing a guy because he “could get injured “ is a knee jerk thought process.  An injury can happen just as easily during the first game of the season. 

What we are doing is turning the first couple of regular season games into what used to be the preseason practice games. Who wants to watch teams work out the kinks in their schemes at game day ticket prices??

Doing so just reduces the quality of the games that count, creating a poorer product on the field. Let’s not be naive, It is a gladiator sport, of course players could get hurt, it’s part and parcel of the game. 

Go Bills!!!

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

This concept of not playing a guy because he “could get injured “ is a knee jerk thought process.  An injury can happen just as easily during the first game of the season. 

What we are doing is turning the first couple of regular season games into what used to be the preseason practice games. Who wants to watch teams work out the kinks in their schemes at game day ticket prices??

Doing so just reduces the quality of the games that count, creating a poorer product on the field. Let’s not be naive, It is a gladiator sport, of course players could get hurt, it’s part and parcel of the game. 

Go Bills!!!

Exactly. Getting reps in practice is one thing but nothing replaces live action in a game. The starters should play some especially the offense with a new OC.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.