First Depth Chart 2022

17islongenough

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

Good grief, how many times do ppl need to repeat that Shakir is VERY likely to serve as the "main backup", but we have others not named Kumerow who will get snaps outside.

Kumerow is a backup on a depth chart that means absolutely jack right now.  Just like last season, he was listed as a main backup outside...repeat did NOT translate to meaningful snaps.  He might not even make the roster this yr, certainly not a lock....

With Crowder back and Shakir showing he can handle playing outside, they'll probably have him concentrate more on playing there.  But he seems like a sharp kid who can learn all 3 positions.

As for the depth chart, Boettger, who may not play football ever again, is listed as the backup LG. 

• Agree 1

Having so many perceived locks due to ST’s is a bit frustrating.  

Taiwan Jones, Tyler Matakevich, Jake Kumerow, Siran Neal…

At least Neal flashes some ability on Defense. 

If Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, Shakir, Crowder and Kumerow are all locks, that’s six receivers.   If Hodgins truly is what reports say he could be, are we going with seven WR’s or risking a cut to get him to the PS?  Who’s doing what if we sign OBJ after Week One? 

I can stomach having a couple teams guys, but not if one of them is putting us at risk of losing a camp standout who we spent draft capital on, along with two years of development. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

If Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, Shakir, Crowder and Kumerow are all locks, that’s six receivers.   If Hodgins truly is what reports say he could be, are we going with seven WR’s or risking a cut to get him to the PS?  Who’s doing what if we sign OBJ after Week One? 

I can stomach having a couple teams guys, but not if one of them is putting us at risk of losing a camp standout who we spent draft capital on, along with two years of development. 

Bills are making a trade or two IMO, preferable for OLine.  My guess is Crowder is traded.  The last 5 cuts are going to be tough.  Im guessing OJ Howard is either traded or cut as well

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Well the Bills had Gabe Davis as their back up in case of injury to Sanders last season…and vice versa….now they have Jake Kumerow so they’ve gotten worse….and not all depth is created equal for every team. 

The same Gabe Davis in which you said he can only make a play when he is wide open?  

You specifically left out Shakir.  At least it isn't as bad as another poster on here who purposely reworded a quote from Brandon Beane....even you're not that desperate.

• Haha (+1) 2

On 8/8/2022 at 3:41 PM, H2o said:

Am I the only one that's at least a little stoked about seeing Hodgins as the next man up behind Davis? I hope he can stay healthy this year and contribute. 

And I also like the fact that Tre is listed as a starter. Could mean nothing, but I'm hoping it means he's on track to be 100% for the opener. 

If I were to guess he is backing up Davis because of the position not that he is the most likely to backup Davis.

29 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You specifically left out Shakir.  At least it isn't as bad as another poster on here who purposely reworded a quote from Brandon Beane....even you're not that desperate.

I think that got slightly misconstrued - Badol copy and pasted my wording which I paraphrased slightly incorrectly. That was not a result of any intention to mislead on my part, but more a listening to the clip while on the tube and then hurridly trying to type it out while I had wifi at a station. 

I hope Shakir can establish himself as a legit option outside. I am still a little sceptical to be honest. I think even in college there were some struggles with functional strength against physical DBs and he doesn't finish downfield routes very well either. He sort of rounds routes off when you need that crisp precision at the top of the route. The latter point is much more fixable though - that is coaching. I think he can play snaps there, I think he could get you out of a game there, I even think you could start him there and be clever with the way you used him for a game or two. But if you lost either Diggs or Davis for any sustained period I think some of his limitations in that role would show up. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think that got slightly misconstrued - Badol copy and pasted my wording which I paraphrased slightly incorrectly. That was not a result of any intention to mislead on my part, but more a listening to the clip while on the tube and then hurridly trying to type it out while I had wifi at a station. 

I hope Shakir can establish himself as a legit option outside. I am still a little sceptical to be honest. I think even in college there were some struggles with functional strength against physical DBs and he doesn't finish downfield routes very well either. He sort of rounds routes off when you need that crisp precision at the top of the route. The latter point is much more fixable though - that is coaching. I think he can play snaps there, I think he could get you out of a game there, I even think you could start him there and be clever with the way you used him for a game or two. But if you lost either Diggs or Davis for any sustained period I think some of his limitations in that role would show up. 

The Bills are VERY thin at outside WR.    We know it and the GM knows it.   Those who vehemently complain about the discussion of that fact also actually know it.

Comparing that situation to "other teams" is irrelevant because the Bills are likely in their prime window season to win a title.

They are returning most everyone...........there is very little danger of anyone aging out this season........they have yet to have a high draft pick hit free agency(but losses are coming soon)...........they have overextended themselves financially to win now...........this is "the" year when they have the best chance to bully their way to a SB title.

If they were just pushing for a playoff spot it would be less concerning,  but they are pretty invested in this being the season so to enter it being thinner/weaker than the prior two seasons at such a key position like WR is a concern.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not buying it Gunner….it’s not the first time he’s done it.  He’s developed a reputation over the years between 2 boards.

Most teams will struggle if their #1 and #2 WR are out.  Even though we we aren’t perfect everywhere, we still are Super Bowl favorites.  Our roster from 1-53 is good.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

oj simpson night GIF

do you accept PayPal?

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Most teams will struggle if their #1 and #2 WR are out.  Even though we we aren’t perfect everywhere, we still are Super Bowl favorites.  Our roster from 1-53 is good.

I wasn't saying if both were out, I was saying if one is out for 5 or 6 weeks then I would be concerned about the depth. I know our roster is good. I know talking about receiver depth is 1st world problems in the NFL landscape and no roster can ever be perfect and have depth everywhere. But it is what we do as fans we talk about the pros and cons of depth in one area vs another because they are the real life decisions the team has to make. It isn't negative to do so. Nor is it being a bad fan or whatever... it is part of being a fan analysing the roster and giving opinions on its relative strengths and weaknesses. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I wasn't saying if both were out, I was saying if one is out for 5 or 6 weeks then I would be concerned about the depth. I know our roster is good. I know talking about receiver depth is 1st world problems in the NFL landscape and no roster can ever be perfect and have depth everywhere. But it is what we do as fans we talk about the pros and cons of depth in one area vs another because they are the real life decisions the team has to make. It isn't negative to do so. Nor is it being a bad fan or whatever... it is part of being a fan analysing the roster and giving opinions on its relative strengths and weaknesses. 

The Rams roster 1-53 was pretty good last year. They brought in OBJ. One day later their starting WR got hurt and was out for the year.

Injuries happen in the NFL. You have to prepare to win WITH injuries. No one wants to sit here in January and say “we would’ve beaten the Chiefs in the AFCCG if Davis wasn’t banged up.”

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Bills are making a trade or two IMO, preferable for OLine.  My guess is Crowder is traded.  The last 5 cuts are going to be tough.  Im guessing OJ Howard is either traded or cut as well

I don’t foresee any world where we trade OJ Howard or Crowder.  

Not sure of the tact/locker room aspect, but I can’t imagine signing two guys to low money contracts with the likely promise of “ball out for a year and then get paid” only to trade them, would sit well around the league. (IMO)

I could see Crowder get cut, but I highly doubt it after hearing reports that he looks good in the offense now that he’s back to practice.  

The league is desperate for OL talent.. Maybe a depth swap for someone Kromer believes he can develop ala the Bates trade. 

Edited by SCBills

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

The Rams roster 1-53 was pretty good last year. They brought in OBJ. One day later their starting WR got hurt and was out for the year.

Injuries happen in the NFL. You have to prepare to win WITH injuries. No one wants to sit here in January and say “we would’ve beaten the Chiefs in the AFCCG if Davis wasn’t banged up.”

Injuries are part of the game.  All teams don't have starting caliber backups at every position.  Bills are the SB favorites, enjoy it.

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I am enjoying it, but I would prefer to be SB winners instead of just preseason favorites. 

Going into any given season I'd say even the very best teams top out at having around a 20% chance of winning it all.  It's tough and injury luck ends up playing a big role.

We're in as good a position to get it done as any team in the NFL, and we will be as long as we have 17.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Of course.  I discuss pros and cons as well.  There's a difference between discussing pros/cons and just bitching.  

I normally agree with you but when I don't, you're cool with it and don't get your panties in a wad.  

Last year, I didn't have faith in Knox and his drops.  I wanted more at tight end.  I also started losing faith in Ed Oliver because of his inconsistencies.

This year, I have concerns about Spencer Brown and DE depth.  I want to sign OBJ in the next two months because he's another great talent.

I have no idea what to expect at CB2 as well.  

I think we have a well rounded offense overall.  It'll hurt if Diggs or Davis goes down for a period of time but our season won't be over.  Just like if Chase goes down for the Bengals...he makes Higgins and Boyd better and it won't be as easy for them.  But they'll make it work.

Beane also stated he's still looking....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I don’t foresee any world where we trade OJ Howard or Crowder.  

Not sure of the tact/locker room aspect, but I can’t imagine signing two guys to low money contracts with the likely promise of “ball out for a year and then get paid” only to trade them, would sit well around the league. (IMO)

I could see Crowder get cut, but I highly doubt it after hearing reports that he looks good in the offense now that he’s back to practice.  

The league is desperate for OL talent.. Maybe a depth swap for someone Kromer believes he can develop ala the Bates trade.

I doubt that's an issue if the guy just isn't performing.

14 hours ago, SCBills said:

You point is well taken.  The Bills want a strong ST squad but there is a limit on how many players a team can keep who only have

impact on STs.  These "ST only players" also put a strain on who dresses on game day.  To justify their spot, they have to dress every week.

I know a lot of fans believe they are all locks but I'm willing to bet when the last 5 players are kept or cut, a lot of factors go into it.

Put another way, no one can convince me that ST core players like Gilliam, Neal and Johnson (all who have worth at their base position) are

not desired more by Beane and McDermott above guys who only dress for Special Teams.

Edited by ColoradoBills

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Shakir is a 5th round pick who is a projected slot by most… maybe he proves he can play outside but people are clinging to training camp reports and a TD pass in a scrimmage😅…. Either way, It’s def a worse unit compared to last season. 

You can hold strong to pre-draft analysis, I'll listen to Josh Allen and Brandon Beane....I don't consider them training camp reports.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.