First Depth Chart 2022

17islongenough

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Try to keep up.

Beane on Shakir:

"he has some versatility but position 1 for him right now is the slot. We are definitely stronger inside than outside and we will continue to look for depth out there." 

This is from Josh, last week:

“He’s done a pretty good job in terms of learning the offense,” Josh Allen said. “He’s been switching up from Z to X and doing a really good job of knowing what he’s doing, being able to be switched around. Someone needs a break because they’re gassed from running something, he’s the first one in and he’s been on top of his stuff in the meetings. He’s going to help this team. I’m excited about him, I really am.

Then there is this quote from Beane:

"He's Bills DNA through and through," GM Brandon Beane said on the latest episode of Buffalo Bills: Embedded. "A guy that can play inside, can play out. Has some speed, has a little bit of run after the catch ability."

I'm not convinced Kumerow makes the team even, so will be fun to revisit this in a few weeks.  Your persistent negativity toward the outside WR depth is getting old, and frankly the Jake Kumerow "top backup" will likely turn into complaining of something else once he's released

• Like (+1) 1

This will change! I’m sure some of these projections are arbitrary at that. Like I have a hard time thinking that Hodgins would start over Shakir if Davis went down or having Quessenberry start over Spencer Brown

What I do find surprising though is our DT rotation. I thought for sure that Jordan Phillips would start over Daquan Jones and I find it curious that Bernard is our backup MLB and I find it odd that Elam is behind Dane Jackson and I’m surprised that we have Benford at 2nd string.

It will be real cool to see how this changes though.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

Kumerow.  I expect the Bills to cut jones this year.  Why? Just a gut feel that his time is up.  I think we have enough other capable ST players.  Jones has one role and one role only.  Kumerow, being one of our only potential boundary depth WRs has more value.  

I’m a long time jones hater.  Easy answer for me.  He was dead to me when he helped end our season with the best offensive play of his career.  

Thanks for your input.  

My whole reasoning behind that post was, do fans really think that the Bills would keep 2 gunners that give next to nothing to their assigned

positions?  I would think it would come down to Jones's age and the difference in Jones v Kumerow as gunners.

If they are somewhat close in their ST roles, I give Kumerow the nod.

All that being said, my preference would be a guy like Bernard who gives you LB and ST depth.  We all hear about the importance of ST play

but we also hear that McDermott want guys that have multiple talent.

The roster is mostly locked and it's the few roles like these that are debatable.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

This will change! I’m sure some of these projections are arbitrary at that. Like I have a hard time thinking that Hodgins would start over Shakir if Davis went down or having Quessenberry start over Spencer Brown

What I do find surprising though is our DT rotation. I thought for sure that Jordan Phillips would start over Daquan Jones and I find it curious that Bernard is our backup MLB and I find it odd that Elam is behind Dane Jackson and I’m surprised that we have Benford at 2nd string.

Phillips and Jones are different style players, so Jones will start since it will be first down but Phillips will play a lot for sure, maybe even more total plays.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Thanks for your input.  

My whole reasoning behind that post was, do fans really think that the Bills would keep 2 gunners that give next to nothing to their assigned

positions?  I would think it would come down to Jones's age and the difference in Jones v Kumerow as gunners.

All that being said, my preference would be a guy like Bernard who gives you LB and ST depth.  We all hear about the importance of ST play

The roster is mostly locked and it's the few roles like these that are debatable.

I think I agree with pretty much everything you’ve posted in the past couple months.  👍🏻 

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Agree, Jones to start the series and Phillips in passing downs.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Phillips and Jones are different style players, so Jones will start since it will be first down but Phillips will play a lot for sure, maybe even more total plays.

12 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Phillips is huge, but is a penetrating DT more than a stuffer.  He’s kinda terrible vs the run.  Jones is the starter 💯.  If Jones misses time, I think Settle would start opposite Oliver.   

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Well, that jinxed me.  LOL Thanks.

Nah man, you’re on point

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Phillips is huge, but is a penetrating DT more than a stuffer.  He’s kinda terrible vs the run.  Jones is the starter 💯.  If Jones misses time, I think Settle would start opposite Oliver.   

Nah man, you’re on point

Exactly, Phillips will be Oliver's backup at 3 tech, and we know how the Bills like to rotate the Dline. 

I bet with see Phillips with Settle a good bit... And then Oliver and Phillips rushing on obvious long passing downs. 

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Kumerow.  I expect the Bills to cut jones this year.  Why? Just a gut feel that his time is up.  I think we have enough other capable ST players.  Jones has one role and one role only.  Kumerow, being one of our only potential boundary depth WRs has more value.  

I’m a long time jones hater.  Easy answer for me.  He was dead to me when he helped end our season with the best offensive play of his career.  

I'm wondering if Benford is getting snaps at gunner?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Thanks for your input.  

Agree. The Bills don't need to keep TWO more dedicated gunners when they've also got Siran Neal newly inked up. I know Neal sees the field on defense, but isn't he considered a lock at one of the gunner spots? If so, there's not much to justify keeping two more guys for the job who aren't likely see the field at their respective positions (except as injury backups). So I think it's time one of these two get waived (I prefer to vote off Jones, personally), UNLESS maybe Kumerow suddenly factors into their plans at WR? 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Daquan Jones isn't starting ahead of Jordan Phillips.  Ed Oliver is starting ahead of Jordan Phillips.  For all his size, Jordan Phillips is a 3TDT like Oliver. Daquan Jones is starting ahead of Tim Settle, they're the new 1TDT Lotulelei/Harrison Phillips replacements

The Bills turned over 3 of 4 positions at DT this off season.  It's not that they didn't have to do it - Harrison Phillips struggled with both injuries and consistency; Lotulelei was  "phoning it in" too much; Butler never lived up to his 1st round status.   Bills were overpaying for under-performance.

They had to do it, but I hope they did it right

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

This is the first year I think a Taiwan Jones cut is possible, but right now I still lean towards he makes it. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Kumerow is the likely cut. I just don’t see how he makes it this year. We have to many new guys or guys that have made improvements. 

Diggs

Davis

McKenzie

Shakir

Hodgins

The last spot or spots, is going to come down to (Crowder, Tavon, Kumerow) . 
Given that we need a PR and Tavon is currently #1 on the depth chart, it’s hard to see a path for Kumerow given that Hodgins is the backup behind Davis. 

I would not be surprised to see Beane attempt to send Kumerow back to GB. 

But Kumerow is the backup to Diggs on that same chart. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Try to keep up.

Beane on Shakir:

"he has some versatility but position 1 for him right now is the slot. We are definitely stronger inside than outside and we will continue to look for depth out there." 

Oh my God, that's HILARIOUS!! You're so desperate that you change the quote and carefully leave the link off, so nobody can check it? HILARIOUS!!!

Here's the actual quote, the whole thing, with a link so anyone who wants can check it:  "Shakir had a nice day yesterday, I think position 1 for him is probably right now slot as well, but he can play outside, he's got some versatility. I would definitely say we're stronger from a depth point inside than outside, we'll continue to look."

https://www.audacy.com/podcasts/howard-and-jeremy-20258/hjs-bills-general-manager-brandon-beane-1516265348

Somehow BADOL accidentally left out the part of the quote that is most damaging to his argument. Isn't that a funny coincidence?

Weirdly, he put the whole quote in quotation marks, moved things around to slant it a bit more towards his argument, and left out that part. Shockingly, he forgot to put the ellipses in there to show he left something out.

Anyone surprised he'd deliberately mess up a quote if it served his argument? The guy who, referring specifically to that quote above said, "Just last week Brandon Beane said Shakir was a slot receiver"? Anyone surprised? Anyone?

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But Kumerow is the backup to Diggs on that same chart. 

Competing in that chart only with (outside of Gabe Davis and Diggs, obviously) Hodgins, Marquez Stevenson, Tanner Gentry and Neil Pau'u, by the way. In real life, several others are running reps at outside WR in camp.

But I'm with you that I think Kumerow is going to make the roster. He's pretty cheap and they absolutely love him on STs beyond any time he might spend at WR.

Edited by Thurman#1

18 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Competing in that chart only with (outside of Gabe Davis and Diggs, obviously) Hodgins, Marquez Stevenson, Tanner Gentry and Neil Pau'u, by the way. In real life, several others are running reps at outside WR in camp.

But I'm with you that I think Kumerow is going to make the roster. He's pretty cheap and they absolutely love him on STs beyond any time he might spend at WR.

I didn't even really mean Kumerow is a lock for the roster. I just meant using the depth chart as evidence that Hodgins will make it because he is the backup to Davis over Kumerow who is the backup to Diggs doesn't make sense.

I do happen to think Kumerow will make it but that wasn't really my point here. 

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Oh my God, that's HILARIOUS!! You're so desperate that you change the quote and carefully leave the link off, so nobody can check it? HILARIOUS!!!

Here's the actual quote, the whole thing, with a link so anyone who wants can check it:  "Shakir had a nice day yesterday, I think position 1 for him is probably right now slot as well, but he can play outside, he's got some versatility. I would definitely say we're stronger from a depth point inside than outside, we'll continue to look."

https://www.audacy.com/podcasts/howard-and-jeremy-20258/hjs-bills-general-manager-brandon-beane-1516265348

Somehow BADOL accidentally left out the part of the quote that is most damaging to his argument. Isn't that a funny coincidence?

Weirdly, he put the whole quote in quotation marks, moved things around to slant it a bit more towards his argument, and left out that part. Shockingly, he forgot to put the ellipses in there to show he left something out.

Anyone surprised he'd deliberately mess up a quote if it served his argument? The guy who, referring specifically to that quote above said, "Just last week Brandon Beane said Shakir was a slot receiver"? Anyone surprised? Anyone?

Its par for the course for him so it’s definitely not a surprise.  He constantly calls out others for being a douchebag too 😂

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

From the horses mouth, one day ago:

“He’s done a pretty good job in terms of learning the offense,” Josh Allen said. “He’s been switching up from Z to X and doing a really good job of knowing what he’s doing, being able to be switched around. Someone needs a break because they’re gassed from running something, he’s the first one in and he’s been on top of his stuff in the meetings. He’s going to help this team. I’m excited about him, I really am.”

But what does he know! 

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2022/08/09/buffalo-bills-training-camp-news-wr-khalil-shakir-has-been-turning-heads/65395396007/

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

From the horses mouth, one day ago:

“He’s done a pretty good job in terms of learning the offense,” Josh Allen said. “He’s been switching up from Z to X and doing a really good job of knowing what he’s doing, being able to be switched around. Someone needs a break because they’re gassed from running something, he’s the first one in and he’s been on top of his stuff in the meetings. He’s going to help this team. I’m excited about him, I really am.”

But what does he know! 

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2022/08/09/buffalo-bills-training-camp-news-wr-khalil-shakir-has-been-turning-heads/65395396007/

Interesting.  Those are outside receiver spots. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.