First Depth Chart 2022

17islongenough

15 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

We know Beane is looking? Please show something that backs it up.

Try to keep up.

Beane on Shakir:

"he has some versatility but position 1 for him right now is the slot. We are definitely stronger inside than outside and we will continue to look for depth out there." 

28 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Try to keep up.

Beane on Shakir:

"he has some versatility but position 1 for him right now is the slot. We are definitely stronger inside than outside and we will continue to look for depth out there." 

Come on BADOL, Beane didn't outright say that Shakir was nothing more than a backup slot receiver and can never ever play outside and they have terrible depth with Jake the Snake as our 3rd boundary WR.

16 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Come on BADOL, Beane didn't outright say that Shakir was nothing more than a backup slot receiver and can never ever play outside and they have terrible depth with Jake the Snake as our 3rd boundary WR.

I never claimed he said Shakir had no versatility whatsoever...........Cole Beasley played outside periodically despite being primarily a slot receiver..........it happens but there is a difference between flexing out once-in-a-while and being able to assume the role if a starter is lost to injury.

Nor did I say Beane considered their depth "terrible".

I am responding to people like @Big Turk who claimed he knows the Bills don't think they need any help outside.

And @Thurman#1 who claimed Beane never referenced Shakir as a slot guy or that the Bills were looking for help outside.

And, of course,  @MasterStrategist who asked for the quote I gave him.

As @GunnerBill has said..........when asked about outside depth,  Beane begins by referencing Jake Kumerow.

If you think that's good depth..........then that's your opinion.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

I never claimed he said Shakir had no versatility whatsoever...........Cole Beasley played outside periodically despite being primarily a slot receiver..........it happens but there is a difference between flexing out and being able to assume the role if a starter is lost to injury.

Nor did I say Beane considered their depth "terrible".

I am responding to people like @Big Turk who claimed he knows the Bills don't think they need any help outside.

And @Thurman#1 who claimed Beane never referenced Shakir as a slot guy or that the Bills were looking for help outside.

And, of course,  @MasterStrategist who asked for the quote I gave him.

As @GunnerBill has said..........when asked about outside depth,  Beane begins by referencing Jake Kumerow.

If you think that's good depth..........then that's your opinion.

Lol, I guess I should have included the /s.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Lol, I guess I should have included the /s.

It's OK.........it allowed me to recap the recent takes on the subject.

Beane said what he said...........any shade cast by the GM is notable at this point.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Try to keep up.

Beane on Shakir:

When did he say this .. early May?

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Given that Shakir is on the depth chart inside with Hodgins as the #2 outside receiver after Davis, it’s safe to assume that nothing has changed in their assessment. 

If the quote was from 3 months ago, I was wondering if Beane is still looking quite as hard for outside depth, given Hodgins progress.

9 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Damn, that is a deep roster, I love it.  There will be a lot of teams watching our cut downs this year.  (such as: The Jets watching which O-linemen we drop.)

Which is kind of funny since our OLine depth is easily the weakest spot on the roster. I know that I'll be looking at other teams OLine cuts...

• Thank you (+1) 1

OK this thread is better than any to discuss Kumerow.  I also want to add I was very hopeful when he came to Buffalo but this

is a playoff/high powered offense coming this season.

First let's look at Jake as a WR.

In his 2 years in Buffalo, he has a total of 3 catches on 7 targets for 50 yards, 1 TD on 133 snaps.

The word we hear from his low WR numbers is he has a hard time getting separation.

He's 30 years old and anyone thinking he will "break out" as a good WR in the NFL is fooling themselves IMO.

Second let's look at Jake on ST.

In 2020 Jake was not a "core" player on ST but evidently played well on his 95 snaps (21%) for the Bills.

He also was never a core player in his 2 years on GB.

In 2021 Jake was a "core" player (non-kickers/returners/LS) ranked 7th (61%) of the 8 in snaps of the core players.

He played very well.

In 2022 it is looking like all of the other 7 core players are returning with Andre Smith not getting back until week 7.

The 7 returning ranked by snaps are:

Matakevich, Gilliam, Jones, Neal, Dodson, Johnson, Smith.

My conclusion is while Jake was a core player on ST for 1 year and with the return of the rest of the core players this year,

I find it hard to believe he is "indispensable" and a lock for his ST play especially since Terell Bernard is a seasoned college gunner.

We all have heard he did very well in that role.

The only way I see the Bills having room for Kumerow on the roster for his ST play is if he is going to replace Taiwan Jones as a

perennial special team gunner.  I can't see the Bills keeping both (and they would be foolish if they did), so who is it?

Jones or Kumerow?

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Which is kind of funny since our OLine depth is easily the weakest spot on the roster. I know that I'll be looking at other teams OLine cuts...

Is it? I'm not so sure about that.

42 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

OK this thread is better than any to discuss Kumerow.  I also want to add I was very hopeful when he came to Buffalo but this

In his 2 years in Buffalo, he has a total of 3 catches on 7 targets for 50 yards, 1 TD on 133 snaps.

The word we hear from his low WR numbers is he has a hard time getting separation.

He's 30 years old and anyone thinking he will "break out" as a good WR in the NFL is fooling themselves IMO.

In 2020 Jake was not a "core" player on ST but evidently played well on his 95 snaps (21%) for the Bills.

In 2021 Jake was a "core" player (non-kickers/returners/LS) ranked 7th (61%) of the 8 in snaps of the core players.

He played very well.

In 2022 it is looking like all of the other 7 core players are returning with Andre Smith not getting back until week 7.

My conclusion is while Jake was a core player on ST for 1 year and with the return of the rest of the core players this year,

I find it hard to believe he is "indispensable" and a lock for his ST play especially since Terell Bernard is a seasoned college gunner.

The only way I see the Bills having room for Kumerow on the roster for his ST play is if he is going to replace Taiwan Jones as a

perennial special team gunner.  I can't see the Bills keeping both (and they would be foolish if they did), so who is it?

Jones or Kumerow?

Kumerow is the likely cut. I just don’t see how he makes it this year. We have to many new guys or guys that have made improvements. 

Diggs

Davis

McKenzie

Shakir

Hodgins

The last spot or spots, is going to come down to (Crowder, Tavon, Kumerow) . 
Given that we need a PR and Tavon is currently #1 on the depth chart, it’s hard to see a path for Kumerow given that Hodgins is the backup behind Davis. 

I would not be surprised to see Beane attempt to send Kumerow back to GB. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

He played very well.

Jones or Kumerow?

Kumerow.  I expect the Bills to cut jones this year.  Why? Just a gut feel that his time is up.  I think we have enough other capable ST players.  Jones has one role and one role only.  Kumerow, being one of our only potential boundary depth WRs has more value.  

I’m a long time jones hater.  Easy answer for me.  He was dead to me when he helped end our season with the best offensive play of his career.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.