First Depth Chart 2022

17islongenough

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I had a hot take today that Hodgins and Kumerow makes the roster with Crowder being cut or traded. 

Looking at this depth chart, it’s not thaaat wild. Shakir is basically a lock and listed as SWR3. Kumerow and Hodgins are the primaries outside. I think Shakir moves toe SWR2 and Crowder goes for a draft pick to free up $1M. 

(Cap wizards can correct me. I think in a trade the Bills are only on the hook for his signing bonus, since it’s a one year deal, right?)

If they get thru preseason healthy and don't make any moves.........I would not be surprised if they even kept only 5.    

The 6th and 7th options in-house are practice squad level receiving talents.

I'm sure teams will be able to protect someone on the PS every week and that could be a WR.  

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

This was my breakdown today:

QB - 2, RB - 3, WR - 7, TE/FB - 3, Olineman - 9

Total: 24

DE - 5, DT - 4, LB - 5, S - 4, CB - 6

Total: 24

ST: 3

Total: 51

Taiwan Jones and Kumerow could both make it for ST and be at 53.  This team doesn't have as much depth beyond the normal 50 (which is fine).

They have the benefit of Gilliam playing 2 positions and flexibility on the Olineman (Still think you go with 9, but I think they could get away with 8).

This could work. Only 2 QB and 5 LBs makes sense. That opens up two roster spots.  I would still get rid of Kukerow if they are already keeping 7 WR and keep an extra linemen.

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If they get thru preseason healthy and don't make any moves.........I would not be surprised if they even kept only 5.    

The 6th and 7th options in-house are practice squad level receiving talents.

I'm sure teams will be able to protect someone on the PS every week and that could be a WR.  

The only way they keep 5 WR is if a DB is your primary return guy. They dont have anyone on the roster to do that. They are keeping at least 6 WR. 

Second, they have to make it to the PS first to be protected. 

20 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

This could work. Only 2 QB and 5 LBs makes sense. That opens up two roster spots.  I would still get rid of Kukerow if they are already keeping 7 WR and keep an extra linemen.

The only way they keep 5 WR is if a DB is your primary return guy. They dont have anyone on the roster to do that. They are keeping at least 6 WR. 

Second, they have to make it to the PS first to be protected. 

With 3 slot receivers........no.........it's not necessary for a DB to be the primary return guy.

Kumerow might get picked up if waived.   Hodgins?  Stevenson?  Austin?  These guys are competing for spots on the Bills but it's highly doubtful someone puts any of those done-nothing dudes on their roster and guarantees their salary by having them on the 53 man roster for week 1.     There is a lot of WR depth around the NFL..... teams aren't pining to sort thru the Bills leavings at outside WR.  

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

With 3 slot receivers........no.........it's not necessary for a DB to be the primary return guy.

Kumerow might get picked up if waived.   Hodgins?  Stevenson?  Austin?  These guys are competing for spots on the Bills but it's highly doubtful someone puts any of those done-nothing dudes on their roster and guarantees their salary by having them on the 53 man roster for week 1.     There is a lot of WR depth around the NFL..... teams aren't pining to sort thru the Bills leavings at outside WR.  

Depends on pre-season with Hodgins.  Stevenson probably gets IRd.  But Kumerow and Austin could easily be put on the PS.

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

Depends on pre-season with Hodgins.  Stevenson probably gets IRd.  But Kumerow and Austin could easily be put on the PS.

Not necessarily with Hodgins.   Players at positions that are deep around the league.........like WR or RB.........often have big preseasons and it doesn't result in them being in high demand.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Not necessarily with Hodgins.   Players at positions that are deep around the league.........like WR or RB.........often have big preseasons and it doesn't result in them being in high demand.

If the Bills have a role for him, given they've been developing him for over 2 years and he knows the system, it might not be worth taking the chance.  I don't know.  They could go many different ways here.

3 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

If we keep Matt over Araiza I’m going to be entirely disappointed. 

I think you might be confused- it is no longer 2008 when Moorman was our team MVP- at this point our punter might only see the field 35 times all year so not real important. 😊

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I am thinking of the Bills specific current situation.  Bills have seemingly said McKenzie is not your return guy. 

In the top 5 or 6 there is not a good return candidate.  Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, Crowder(2 punt returns since 2018), Shakir (2 KR and 9 PR in senior year, none of either as a Junior), and Hodgins(No punt or kick returns in 4 years of college).  None of these guys are going to be your primary return guy.  

Therefore you need at least a 6th WR (Austin or Stevenson) to handle return duties, unless there is a DB on the squad that can do it.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I am thinking of the Bills specific current situation.  Bills have seemingly said McKenzie is not your return guy. 

In the top 5 or 6 there is not a good return candidate.  Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, Crowder(2 punt returns since 2018), Shakir (2 KR and 9 PR in senior year, none of either as a Junior), and Hodgins(No punt or kick returns in 4 years of college).  None of these guys are going to be your primary return guy.  

Therefore you need at least a 6th WR (Austin or Stevenson) to handle return duties, unless there is a DB on the squad that can do it.

The top 5 aren't good..........so therefore they need to keep a 6th or 7th who also isn't good?    

Not saying they won't keep 6 or 7...........but Tavon Austin has been a flat-out lousy punt returner for the past 6 seasons and has never been a good KOR guy(18 yard per KOR is terrible).    

Boo-boo foot Stevenson doesn't warrant a week 1, salary guaranteed roster spot at this point.

Remember that your week 1 team is just for week 1 and they have 11 days in between games after the opener.

I wouldn't be surprised if they played the market with KR/PR guy during the season.   Not ideal but teams tend to cut some good return guys.   They aren't particularly valuable in the NFL any longer.

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they played the market with KR/PR guy during the season.   Not ideal but teams tend to cut some good return guys.   They aren't particularly valuable in the NFL any longer.

I'm not putting the cart before the horse yet.  I want to see how Matthew Smiley has the STs playing in the preseason.

I'm not going to put much credence into the first depth chart.  Most teams give veterans preference and make the rookies earn it all the way through camp.  The second preseason game should give us a better picture of what we can expect in the regular season.  As we fret the future release of some good prospects, we all need to remember how hard it is to make the roster on a team that is really stacked with talent.  For too many years the Bills were on the other end of things and I remember watching the cuts from other teams in the hope that the Bills could snag some decent players to improve the roster.  I'll take the current situation anytime.

• Agree 1

Meanwhile… around the NFL- 

WR5-9ish

The Bucs are absolutely loaded.

The packers, who have a poor wr1-4 have solid 5-6 with Amari Rodgers, Romeo Doubs then no one.  

chiefs- Josh Gordon, Justin Watson, daurice fountain, Cornell powell, Corey Coleman, Omar bayless.  

chargers:  deandre Carter, Jason moore jr, Joe Reed, Michael bandy, Michael Ffrench 

rams- tutu atwell, Brandon powell, Jacob harris, austin trammel, Landon akers

bengals- Stanley Morgan, Trent taylor, Kwame Lassiter the 2nd, Trenton Irwin, pooka Williams 

broncos- Montrell Washington, Tyrone cleveland, Seth Williams, Travis fulgham

titans- dez Fitzpatrick, racey mcmath, Cody hollister, Mason Kinsey, Josh Malone 

Cowboys- Noah brown, Dennis Houston, TJ vasher, simi fehoko, Kevonte Turpin.

niners- Ray Ray, Malik Turner, Marcus johnson, willie Snead.  

Bills- shakir, austin, Kumerow, Hodgins, Stevenson.  

People here complain about our WR depth.  Fans of every team complain about WR depth….. except the Bucs. 

We’ll be fine.  If someone goes down, Beane, McD and Dorsey will figure it out.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, FieldGeneral said:

Tight ends usually are, but I feel as if Dawson played small in these moments. 

I heard Knox had eleven total TDs last season, nothin small about that, 

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Meanwhile… around the NFL- 

WR5-9ish

The Bucs are absolutely loaded.

The packers, who have a poor wr1-4 have solid 5-6 with Amari Rodgers, Romeo Doubs then no one.  

chiefs- Josh Gordon, Justin Watson, daurice fountain, Cornell powell, Corey Coleman, Omar bayless.  

chargers:  deandre Carter, Jason moore jr, Joe Reed, Michael bandy, Michael Ffrench 

rams- tutu atwell, Brandon powell, Jacob harris, austin trammel, Landon akers

bengals- Stanley Morgan, Trent taylor, Kwame Lassiter the 2nd, Trenton Irwin, pooka Williams 

broncos- Montrell Washington, Tyrone cleveland, Seth Williams, Travis fulgham

titans- dez Fitzpatrick, racey mcmath, Cody hollister, Mason Kinsey, Josh Malone 

Cowboys- Noah brown, Dennis Houston, TJ vasher, simi fehoko, Kevonte Turpin.

niners- Ray Ray, Malik Turner, Marcus johnson, willie Snead.  

Bills- shakir, austin, Kumerow, Hodgins, Stevenson.  

People here complain about our WR depth.  Fans of every team complain about WR depth….. except the Bucs. 

We’ll be fine.  If someone goes down, Beane, McD and Dorsey will figure it out.  

I've been bringing this up to certain posters.  Never got a reply after asking 3 times.  I just did KC and the AFC East.

Thanks for doing the work for the league.

Bucs are loaded for their last chance at a SB.

My guess would be the OL depth league wide is even scarier.

• Agree 2

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

I've been bringing this up to certain posters.  Never got a reply after asking 3 times.  I just did KC and the AFC East.

Thanks for doing the work for the league.

Bucs are loaded for their last chance at a SB.

My guess would be the OL depth league wide is even scarier.

Ain’t no doubt bro. OL depth is probably the weakest of all. NFL units atm.  

4 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Both aren’t great options… Quessenberry gave up the most sacks as a tackle last season and Brown was atrocious several times throughout the year….including the finale against KC.

Yeah.  PFF has a pass blocking grade of Quessenberry at 61.6 and Brown at 51.0.  Both are pretty bad and ranked near the bottom.  If Brown had a less mobile QB fans wouldn't be as high on him.  It's a problem and maybe Kromer can help make at least one of them average pass blockers as they're both great run blockers.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.