First Depth Chart 2022

17islongenough

I had a hot take today that Hodgins and Kumerow makes the roster with Crowder being cut or traded. 

Looking at this depth chart, it’s not thaaat wild. Shakir is basically a lock and listed as SWR3. Kumerow and Hodgins are the primaries outside. I think Shakir moves to SWR2 and Crowder goes for a draft pick to free up $1M. 

(Cap wizards can correct me. I think in a trade the Bills are only on the hook for his signing bonus, since it’s a one year deal, right?)

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1

Did a roster projection this morning and struggled to find the last 3 guys.

Struggled with the 9th Olineman (Maybe Ford).

Struggled if this team is really keeping Taiwan Jones

Team is 100% keeping 7 WRs, maybe 8 if Kumerow makes it strictly on ST.

Does a 6th LB make it for ST (Like Giles-Harris)

I see the 6th CB as Cam Lewis.

• Like (+1) 1

This was my breakdown today:

QB - 2, RB - 3, WR - 7, TE/FB - 3, Olineman - 9

Total: 24

DE - 5, DT - 4, LB - 5, S - 4, CB - 6

Total: 24

ST: 3

Total: 51

Taiwan Jones and Kumerow could both make it for ST and be at 53.  This team doesn't have as much depth beyond the normal 50 (which is fine).

They have the benefit of Gilliam playing 2 positions and flexibility on the Olineman (Still think you go with 9, but I think they could get away with 8).

Crowder to me is the most interesting player of the preseason.  

We signed him because we wanted a proven slot WR after letting Cole go.  Beane doesn’t like going into the draft with a glaring hole (see, Duke at RB). 

The two year deal shows that the Bills were hopeful McKenzie would make a jump, but the money shows they weren’t sold on it.  

Now, all of a sudden, McKenzie looks like he potentially made the jump AND Beane lucked himself into a WR who he would’ve taken in the 4th if we kept our pick.  That player, Shakir, seems to be looking like the steal the entire NFL community believes he is. 

Knowing what they know now.. would they have signed Crowder?   Do they trust McKenzie/Shakir enough to move off Crowder in order to keep Hodgins & Kumerow?..  Maybe sign a different one year rental?

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

I had a hot take today that Hodgins and Kumerow makes the roster with Crowder being cut or traded. 

Looking at this depth chart, it’s not thaaat wild. Shakir is basically a lock and listed as SWR3. Kumerow and Hodgins are the primaries outside. I think Shakir moves toe SWR2 and Crowder goes for a draft pick to free up $1M. 

(Cap wizards can correct me. I think in a trade the Bills are only on the hook for his signing bonus, since it’s a one year deal, right?)

Spotrac has a Crowder trade saving $1.23M in cap.  I tend to not count on any trades, but the Crowder thing is possible but not probable IMO.

For it to happen I think it wouldn't just be about Shakir, they would have to be high on Austin and/or Stevenson.

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Spotrac has a Crowder trade saving $1.23M in cap.  I tend to not count on any trades, but the Crowder thing is possible but not probable IMO.

For it to happen I think it wouldn't just be about Shakir, they would have to be high on Austin and/or Stevenson.

I am not high on Austin or Stevenson....like at all. 

My thinking was that between McKenzie, Cook, Shakir, Hodgins, and to an extent Knox, they have all the skill sets they could ever need to play inside at this point. So where does Crowder fit in? 

I sort of said that thinking the Bills only keep 6. But they will keep more, so in that case he is likely still here. 

9 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Taiwan Jones and Kumerow could both make it for ST and be at 53.  This team doesn't have as much depth beyond the normal 50 (which is fine).

They have the benefit of Gilliam playing 2 positions and flexibility on the Olineman (Still think you go with 9, but I think they could get away with 8).

Your 51 "locks" look pretty spot on but having 7 WR already and adding Kumerow to make 8 won't happen IMO.

If Kumerow stays he is part of the 7.

No way they go 8 OL.  9 minimum.  Ike goes on Reserve/PUP.

So, the 53rd player is a wildcard and come from almost any position.  Also have to remember that Andre Smith will be back after 6 games.

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

I am not high on Austin or Stevenson....like at all. 

My thinking was that between McKenzie, Cook, Shakir, Hodgins, and to an extent Knox, they have all the skill sets they could ever need to play inside at this point. So where does Crowder fit in? 

I sort of said that thinking the Bills only keep 6. But they will keep more, so in that case he is likely still here. 

I'm not big on either and think Crowder stays.  Crowder is one of the few players who could be traded and I was trying to come up with a 

scenario that would make that happen.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LanderPoke said:

I wonder if Shakir will get many snaps this year. I watched him tear apart my Wyoming Cowboys for four years and he seemed like a sure fire NFL talent. He was impossible to guard. Excited to see what he can do

I’m excited to see if he can play outside. Surpassing Kumerow and Hodgins in the process….

Having the kind of year Davis did as a rookie….

• Like (+1) 2

I think there are a few small surprises on defense. Bernard being #2 at MLB…. Nick McCloud being officially a Safety. …Neal being officially the #2 slot corner…

So McCloud’s path to the roster goes thru Hamlin…. Tough.

Was Bernard always drafted to be our backup MLB this year?

And, signing Neal doesn’t look so strange now…

And the Bills have both Cook and Shakir working on returners as I have hoped….

41 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This is the part where I tell the people who angrily insisted that Kumerow wouldn't be the top backup boundary WR on the first depth chart to eat a bag.

do-it-come-on.gif

He could be, but will likely be cut.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There is no "could be"...........he is listed as I said he would be.

It's his job to lose and there isn't exactly much competition.

No wonder Beane is still looking. 

It's a prelim depth chart.  There is no chance that Boettger is making the team, much less the backup LG.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.