NFL reffing focus (roughing the passer/illegal contact)

Watkins101

Whichever way they choose to call it, my biggest gripe is the lack of consistency in the calls, not only between different officiating crews but even within the same game. Players never know what they can get away with, what is called and what is not. Drives me crazy, and I'm sure most fans feel this way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

Defensive backs should get more leeway with illegal contact like they did in the 90s before they started emphasizing that in the first place. You can't cover a WR without even touching them. Let these guys play good football. I want a good balanced game, not necessarily more points more points more points.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The USFL reviewed every roughing call and even reversed those that didn't merit a flag.

That's too easy.

The NFL needs to make it as complicated, rigid, and vague as possible in order to control games while maintaining deniability.

As stated above, its the consistency that is what is lacking by the zebras 🦓, do remember that the league/owners don’t actually care, its all about money, liability & money, and even more money.

On 8/8/2022 at 1:09 PM, Watkins101 said:

The reason behind it was last year it was called about 1/3 of the averages of the past 2 decades. It is quite the annoying penalty, but it’s also quite annoying to see your receivers constantly interferes with. 

Plus the increased penalties for RTP can be linked with a QB having to go through more reads as his receivers are all being interfered with.  If a QB can get rid of the ball quickly to an open guy he isn't a sitting duck for a edge with his ears pinned back.  They don't have a glut of top QB talent so you want to protect them without having to coddle them.  Give them outlets to use to get the ball in play.  There are certainly more receivers available as injury replscements.

On 8/8/2022 at 10:42 AM, Watkins101 said:

I think the emphasis on illegal contact should benefit the bills, especially against teams like the Chiefs who have tended to be grabby with the Bills receivers. We did benefit from a few timely roughing the passer calls last year though, so there definitely could be cons. 

I'm sure some people will dislike me saying this, but I don't think the focus on illegal contact would have benefited the Bills at all in previous matchups against the Chiefs.

Our DBs were very physical & got away with a lot of contact, often to the point where you could easily have seen plenty of defensive holding/pass interference/illegal contact calls against the Bills. 

That's both helped & hurt us, but as long as it's called *CONSISTENTLY* throughout the games I'm fine with it.

On 8/8/2022 at 10:09 AM, Watkins101 said:

The reason behind it was last year it was called about 1/3 of the averages of the past 2 decades. It is quite the annoying penalty, but it’s also quite annoying to see your receivers constantly interferes with. 

I’d prefer it to be more like last year honestly. Grabs like we saw against Diggs at Tampa for sure should be called, but I can’t stand the ticky tacky stuff. Let them play a bit. The main reason it annoys me is because there doesn’t seem to be a ton of consistency game to game (not just talking about Bills games only BTW). The obvious stuff is what should be called, like a Jersey being pulled away from the wr. 

Has anyone noticed that trend that some of the better wr’s have been getting good at “falling” after the db barely puts their hand on them? I believe Evans did this to us last year once or twice. I’m afraid we will see a ton of this s**t this season. 

Edited by Tanoros

Just consistently call what ever you want, I hated watching the Jags game but it was consistently bad calls all game, so I accepted it and moved on. The Bucs game pissed me off because the calls were wrong only one way, games like that make it hard to watch the NFL.

On 8/8/2022 at 4:23 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

They need more emphasis on the head shots to the QB and less emphasis on the below the knee contact. There are so many times the defender starts above the knee and ends up below the knee and it is called a penalty. If the QB has the ball any body part should be fair game. Why is it ok to tackle the RB by the ankle but not the QB? Makes no sense. Call late hits regardless of where they occur.

You’re looking at is as a sport and not as a business. QBs are the money makers, they don’t want any of them going down with ACL tears or TBIs

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.