NFL reffing focus (roughing the passer/illegal contact)

Watkins101

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-tells-referees-to-focus-on-illegal-contact-fouls-in-2022-season-145111716.html

It appears the NFL has given directives to referees to have 2 areas of focus in the upcoming season. One is a higher emphasis on illegal contact (touching a wr further than 5 yards downfield), which was called significantly less frequently than average last year. The other area of focus is a greater scrutiny of roughing the passer calls, to make them less often (after they were very high last year). 

I think the emphasis on illegal contact should benefit the bills, especially against teams like the Chiefs who have tended to be grabby with the Bills receivers. We did benefit from a few timely roughing the passer calls last year though, so there definitely could be cons. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yeah Jeremy brought this up this morning, then it was either Sal or Joe amplified that they would still focus on taunting for a 2nd year.  It’s a little over the top, but I understand why to reduce fights.  I didn’t think we had too many fights in the first place.  Standing over a player after a play is a little much, but some of it was tricky tack last year.

McD made a good point to his players.  Just turn youre head and body to you're team sidelines at you’re bench.  You can’t get in trouble celebrating with you’re own teammates.

35 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

The illegal contact thing is dumb to me. one of the most annoying calls on the planet is a ticky tack contact call on 3rd and 15 that gives up a mere 5 yards but an automatic first down. its maddening.... why would we want more of that?

The reason behind it was last year it was called about 1/3 of the averages of the past 2 decades. It is quite the annoying penalty, but it’s also quite annoying to see your receivers constantly interferes with. 

1 minute ago, Watkins101 said:

The reason behind it was last year it was called about 1/3 of the averages of the past 2 decades. It is quite the annoying penalty, but it’s also quite annoying to see your receivers constantly interferes with. 

i think i have more issue with the outcome than i do the calling of the penalty.... give them the 5 yards and replay the down. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Watkins101 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-tells-referees-to-focus-on-illegal-contact-fouls-in-2022-season-145111716.html

It appears the NFL has given directives to referees to have 2 areas of focus in the upcoming season. One is a higher emphasis on illegal contact (touching a wr further than 5 yards downfield), which was called significantly less frequently than average last year. The other area of focus is a greater scrutiny of roughing the passer calls, to make them less often (after they were very high last year). 

I think the emphasis on illegal contact should benefit the bills, especially against teams like the Chiefs who have tended to be grabby with the Bills receivers. We did benefit from a few timely roughing the passer calls last year though, so there definitely could be cons. 

The USFL reviewed every roughing call and even reversed those that didn't merit a flag.

3 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

The illegal contact thing is dumb to me. one of the most annoying calls on the planet is a ticky tack contact call on 3rd and 15 that gives up a mere 5 yards but an automatic first down. its maddening.... why would we want more of that?

Agreed. 

What really grinds my gears is when refs throw flags on infractions that had no bearing/impact on the play.  Like EVERY ***** KICKOFF, for example.  "Illegal block in the back ... 30 yards away from where the goddamn ball was ... re-kick."

Throw flags that impact the play.  Some BS "illegal contact" infraction likely has no effect on the play at all.  Keep the effin' flag in your pocket.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Watkins101 said:

The problem is, they will emphasize illegal contact for 17 weeks (so we can watch all the passing records get broken)... and then completely ignore grabby/physical defenders once the playoffs start.

In theory, focusing more on illegal contact will greatly benefit the Bills.  Our WRs (which is on the smaller side) gets more room against physical defensive backs.  Meanwhile our zone-heavy defense doesn't suffer quite as much, compared to teams that run mostly man-coverage.

My issue is with the consistency, especially in the postseason.

• Agree 3

They need more emphasis on the head shots to the QB and less emphasis on the below the knee contact. There are so many times the defender starts above the knee and ends up below the knee and it is called a penalty. If the QB has the ball any body part should be fair game. Why is it ok to tackle the RB by the ankle but not the QB? Makes no sense. Call late hits regardless of where they occur.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They need more emphasis on the head shots to the QB and less emphasis on the below the knee contact. There are so many times the defender starts above the knee and ends up below the knee and it is called a penalty. If the QB has the ball any body part should be fair game. Why is it ok to tackle the RB by the ankle but not the QB? Makes no sense. Call late hits regardless of where they occur.

Because the QBs generate billions more $ than the RBs do

Edited by NewEra

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.