Beasley on Buffalo: "Things changed within the organization. It was time for me to move on."

Gugny

2 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I am going to say this and some of you won't like it.

Cole Beasley plays very effectively with injuries,  McKenzIe does not.

It's my biggest concern with losing Beasley ..

Beasley ALWAYS was injured... he was never healthy last season. Not a concern at all.

3 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Oh man, don't tell me we have a concerning lack of depth at INSIDE receiver, too. My heart couldn't take it.

• Haha (+1) 6

15 minutes ago, inkman said:

Yeah I feel like the the change was that the Bills wanted someone who didn’t fall immediately after catching the football as they ranked near the bottom of the league in YAC. 

Right.  The reason Beasley fell immediately instead of fighting for yards was part changes in how teams covered the Bills (flooding the middle of the field with DBs because they weren't worried a bit about defending the run), and part physical changes for Beasley (playing with cracked ribs, being a step slower and thus letting the defender close before he made the catch).

But the Cold Hard Football Fact is it meant the offense needed to evolve again, and Beasley didn't have a large enough role in the planned evolution to justify his $$ OR his nuisance factor.

All these tweets now are Beasley stumping to "change the narrative" around his departure and publicly lobby for a new offer.  Except I doubt GMs are surfing the Twitters for talent.

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

That said, if I'm not mistaken, the Bills offered to keep him at a reduced salary. In other words, while they weren't willing to continue to pay him top dollar, they WERE willing to continue to roster him.

I know of no information about that.  What we know is Beasley talked to Beane before FA and asked for permission to seek a trade.

Spill the Tea if you got some.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Sad that Cole stood up for what he believed in.Did everything that was asked.And players like Aaron Rodgers lied about getting shots,did team interviews and didn’t even get a slap on the wrist.At least Cole manned up and stood by his convictions.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I should have said more in that post. No not just because of tweets but also because he wasn’t following protocols. Yes he lost a step and that probably played into it as well. 

The not following protocols/getting fined repeatedly by the NFL didn't play well inside OBD, I agree.  But it didn't cost Beasley his Bills "hat" in 2021 because he had a track record of producing on the field.  Sounds like we agree that both were factors, and what % was assigned to each is between Beane and his walls.

I point to the case of Smokey John Brown as evidence saying production matters most to Beane.

31 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Cmon man. Dude played with broken ribs , bones. He was a great team player and respected in the locker room. 

He's not a me first guy for not putting an experimental vaccine in his body. 

It was absolutely his right not to be vaccinated but that is the very definition of "me first" - he chose a path that suited him but harmed the team. Also, enough of the "experimental" vaccine bollox.

I think, as others have said, the changes were not in the organisation but in him: 2 years ago he was a god out there, if we needed a first down then everytone knew where to look. Last year that just was not the case. Had his play not diminished then perhaps the distraction that he became would have been acceptable but the combintion of lesser play and greater disctraction was what meant his time here was over

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, JAMIEBUF12 said:

Sad that Cole stood up for what he believed in.Did everything that was asked.And players like Aaron Rodgers lied about getting shots,did team interviews and didn’t even get a slap on the wrist.At least Cole manned up and stood by his convictions.

Oh, Rodgers got a slap on the wrist, but that's all.    And I agree with you, Beasley as a person looked better to me after Rodgers stuff came out.

That's why I say it's primarily about production and role on the team.  Rodgers is still a Star of Stars, an elite Franchise QB and a Game Changer.  GB hopes to ride him into contention.  Beasley never had that significant a role on the team, and the role he had was clearly shrinking for multiple reasons.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I mean, he played injured, not sure how effective. I suppose it was effective enough but the Bills are emphasizing YAC this off-season, which has never been his strength. Hopefully, with McKenzie, Crowder and Shakir, the results are exponentially better after the catch. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The only thing that changed was Beasley’s adherence to the same COVID protocols established in 2020. While every other non vaccinated player adhered to those protocols on a daily basis for as long as those protocols were in place last season, Beasley’s refusal to wear a mask and respect social distancing guidelines within the building during that period became a major distraction and disruption. If anything about the team changed, it was their tolerance for Beasley’s refusal to follow the same rules he agreed to follow previously.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Yes but he played, that was my point

Actually, it's an argument against your point. 

When a starting player is injured, of course he still wants to play, these guys are all Alpha Competitors. 

But he's gonna be less effective, and there's a certain compact where a guy has to be honest with himself, the coaches, and trainers, and let his backup have a shot (sorry!  sorry!) if he's gonna be less effective than the Next Man Up.

When Beasley was forced to sit by factors outside the team's control, McKenzie sure made it look to everyone watching as though maybe last year's Week 16 MIA game was not a one-off, and perhaps Beasley had been skating the wrong side of that "am I more effective than the Next Man Up?" line for a while.

To the team?  It's notable that in the CAR game before 2nd NWE, McKenzie's snaps doubled and increased by about the same % Beasley's snaps dropped, and that difference was maintained (~15% more snaps for McKenzie, ~15% less for Beasley) in the remaining regular season games and playoffs.

I agree with whoever made the point that McKenzie has yet to show he can handle the bumps and bangs of a larger role on offense week-in and week-out, all season.  We don't yet know that he can't play injured, but we don't yet know that he can, either.

8 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Not one of them has the hands of Cole Beasley either, not even close 

Oh well,, I will shut up now, got to cut the lawn, See ya

Beasley’s hands have never been questionable but what’s the cut off point for production vs reliability.  I mean is it better to know you can get 4 yards 95% of the time or 15+ yards 85% of the time. Obviously I’m just kinda making those numbers up but I hope that illustrates the point. 

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Big change: Daboll moved on to the Giants.  Remember the loooove-fest between Daboll and Beasley where they were all raving about how Beasley would bring great play ideas to Daboll and Daboll would implement them?  Daboll was consistently using Beasley in down-distance situations where other offenses utilize a TE IMO. 

Thing is, in the absence of a credible run game, a number of teams seemed to have successfully figured out how to defend Beasley's option routes and the Mouse Davis/June Jones secondary route concepts Beasley brought in and the team executed so well in 2020.

Writing was on the wall: with Dorsey and some fresh ideas coming into the organization, roles and responsibilities along with some play concepts were gonna change

But Beasley writes as though "moving on" was his choice and his notion, and I don't think that was entirely how it went down

Then why is he playing for the Giants

I mean of course things changed...they HAD to. 

He got here when they had just made the playoffs after a 17 year drought and after drafting a rookie QB who they hoped would take his game to the next level but didn't know how things would pan out...he played well at times and not well at others, but showed lots of flashes.

Now they are considered the best roster in football, the odds on favorite to Houston the Lombardi Trophy and Allen as the favorite for MVP.

If things DIDN'T change from the time he got here until now then there would be something really wrong.

Edited by Big Turk

"Be who I am." If he thinks "being who he is" exempts him from policies and rules set forth by his employer then I dunno wtf to tell him. Dude comes off really entitled. Probably "suffers" from that affluenza horsesh*t and can't relate to us normal peasants down here. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1