Beasley on Buffalo: "Things changed within the organization. It was time for me to move on."

Gugny

29 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I don’t see how things changed. Same regime. Same core group of players. Same team first attitudes.

IMO the only thing that changed was Beasley going from team first to me first.

Cmon man. Dude played with broken ribs , bones. He was a great team player and respected in the locker room. 

He's not a me first guy for not putting an experimental vaccine in his body. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

53 minutes ago, Gugny said:

What changed within the organization?

Probably what changed within the organization is that before the season they thought he'd shut up about it during the season and at least follow the Covid rules.

Then as he ran up fines, refused to follow rules he didn't like, kept talking during the season, and caused distractions and pissed and moaned about Bills fans, a lot of folks there lost patience. That'll change how people react to you.

There are still at least a couple of guys on this team who were anti-vax. Whatever changed within the organization apparently didn't change much in relation to those guys. Just to Beasley. It's not hard to understand.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

Probably what changed within the organization is that before the season they thought he'd shut up about it during the season and at least follow the Covid rules.

Then as he ran up fines, refused to follow rules he didn't like, kept talking during the season, and caused distractions and pissed and moaned about Bills fans, a lot of folks there lost patience. That'll change how people react to you.

yes

On the one hand, Beasley played through all sorts of injuries. This indicates a degree of selflessness.

On the other hand, leading up to and during seasons where the Bills had realistic Super Bowl aspirations, he became a huge distraction on social media and elsewhere and made everything all about HIM rather than about the team. Selfishness.

It kind of seems to me that if anyone in this situation changed, it was Cole.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Logic said:

On the one hand, Beasley played through all sorts of injuries. This indicates a degree of selflessness.

On the other hand, leading up to and during seasons where the Bills had realistic Super Bowl aspirations, he became a huge distraction on social media and elsewhere and made everything all about HIM rather than about the team. Selfishness.

Yup, exactly.

20 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I feel like a lot of people are missing this.

Beasley was a MASSIVE outlet for Josh, and had a real knack for making huge conversions when the QB was in trouble.

You said it.  Beasley was

His Y/R plummeted from 11.8 to 8.5 and his 1st downs plummeted from 53 to 34.  Same # receptions, 5 more targets, similar snap counts.

What changed?  This wasn't caused by "The Twitters"

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But he didn't rant and rave all over twitter. Beasley's views were never the issue. His behaviour was. 

Be that as it may,  those two things went part and parcel with each other, his views and behavior as a combination were the reason he was let go, he made himself a problem is the reality, pair that up with the cap savings, and less “noise”  to have to deal with for management and, presto!  he was gone. 

• Agree 1

Beasley contributed a lot to the Bills success on offense the past few seasons.  But its just business.  What's changed is the loss of some performance with age and injuries.  Combine that with a $7M cap hit and a new OC along with what looks like a commitment to put more speed on the field.  Add in more potential touches for McKenzie plus rookies RB Cook and WR Shakir and there's just no room for a part-time 7M slot receiver on the decline in the room.      

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

You said it.  Beasley was

His Y/R plummeted from 11.8 to 8.5 and his 1st downs plummeted from 53 to 34.  Same # receptions, 5 more targets, similar snap counts.

What changed?  This wasn't caused by "The Twitters"

Yeah I feel like the the change was that the Bills wanted someone who didn’t fall immediately after catching the football as they ranked near the bottom of the league in YAC. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Cole was a great player for us.  Played with broken bones, always came up huge on third downs, and was a big part of Allen's development.   The changes had nothing to do with Daboll leaving, Cole was on his way out before that happened.  

The changes he seems to be pointing at was the way the organization changed in response to the COVID restrictions.     McDermott has always preached that he wants his players to be able to be themselves, which is what Beasley is talking about in his tweets.  However, the being yourself bit cant be at the expense of the teams chemistry and success, I think thats where Cole ran into trouble with the organization.    In some circumstances no one is the bad guy, it just doesnt work anymore because the situation changes.   I think all of us had issues come up with people close to us during COVID because of differing opinions.   I think thats exactly the case here.    

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

I agree that "if anyone changed it was Cole" but I disagree that he was such a huge distraction or that the distraction had any but a peripheral effect on the decision to move on.

Look at the Cold Hard Football Facts.  30 yr old John Brown (never controversial) had a huge drop in Y/G and 1st downs between 2020 and 2021.  Y/R and Y/T fell slightly but significantly.  His ability to stay healthy and bounce back from injury seemed less.  Beane to Brown: "Thank you for your service, NEXT!" even if it left a "speed gap" on the team.  Beane drafts and brings in some speedy guys, signs Sanders, and tells Daboll "here are your ingredients, Go Cook"

2021, 32 year old Beas shows a similar significant drop-off in key metrics and similar questions about injury/ability to bounce back.  Meanwhile the Muscle Hamster makes plays when he gets his chance.  Beane to Bease: "Thank you for your service, NEXT!"

Sure Beasley's tantrums about NFL rules applied to every player factored in, but anyone who doesn't think a repeat of his 2020 contribution in 2021 keeps Bease on the team regardless is IMO naive.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, MiltonWaddams said:

I would say his performance against New England was a nice emergence. Daboll figured out how to use him and he showed out. I think Beasley has still shown to be the superior player, but when his views differed from those within the organization then it became a lot easier when McKittrick fit in well and played well.

It was a great game, but the only game he has had more than 3 catches in.  I don't really think he has emerged.  To me it had absolutely nothing to do with McK, and all with Cole's twitter account and the salary cap required to resign him. 

I think as fans we all owe a little love to Beasley. Also John brown and of course Diggs. Without those 3 I highly doubt we have the same Josh Allen playing quarterback. They were huge in his development on the field. 
I’ll avoid the twitter stuff. Little vague and I don’t have fun guessing 

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

He was great for a time. Feels like he became expensive. His Twitter covid rants didn’t need to happen. I shook my head when he said “they’re booing me” when it was “beeeeeeez”. Emotional intelligence in the workplace but ultimately ROI in 2022

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I agree that "if anyone changed it was Cole" but I disagree that he was such a huge distraction or that the distraction had any but a peripheral effect on the decision to move on.

Look at the Cold Hard Football Facts.  30 yr old John Brown (never controversial) had a huge drop in Y/G and 1st downs between 2020 and 2021.  Y/R and Y/T fell slightly but significantly.  His ability to stay healthy and bounce back from injury seemed less.  Beane to Brown: "Thank you for your service, NEXT!" even if it left a "speed gap" on the team.  Beane drafts and brings in some speedy guys, signs Sanders, and tells Daboll "here are your ingredients, Go Cook"

2021, 32 year old Beas shows a similar significant drop-off in key metrics and similar questions about injury/ability to bounce back.  Meanwhile the Muscle Hamster makes plays when he gets his chance.  Beane to Bease: "Thank you for your service, NEXT!"

Sure Beasley's tantrums about NFL rules applied to every player factored in, but anyone who doesn't think a repeat of his 2020 contribution in 2021 keeps Bease on the team regardless is IMO naive.

I agree with your stance that Beasley's production noticeably declined.

That said, if I'm not mistaken, the Bills offered to keep him at a reduced salary. In other words, while they weren't willing to continue to pay him top dollar, they WERE willing to continue to roster him.

In any case, what's being discussed in this thread is Cole's assertation that "the organization changed". That's the specific notion to which I was responding.

Between Beasley's passing of blame (no mention of his own declining production or distracting antics) and Feliciano's smack-talking about the Bills organization (and this isn't the first time he's spoken ill of the team since his departure), I see addition by subtraction for the Bills. Two less "me first, pass the blame" guys on the roster. Good.

Edited by Logic