Beasley on Buffalo: "Things changed within the organization. It was time for me to move on."

Gugny

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

What changed is all the posts he made on twitter. Coaches didn’t like it. Just read the tweets in this thread. You can see. I could tell he was playing his last season by mid season. 

Kind of feels like the teams effort to avoid starting a circus around stupid ***** upset him, I mean did he do any interviews last year?

• Like (+1) 2

I mean at this point does it matter?  He's gone.  He's not coming back and was as diplomatic as possible in saying so.  There's no need to keep hammering on the guy.

I thank him for his time here and wish him the best going forward unless that somehow gets in our way.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I was told to “be who I am” by every team I’ve been on. If they didn’t really want that then they shouldn’t have said it…

That’s your evidence, guys. He was so adamantly against the vaccine and McD wanted everyone vaxxed just from a competitive standpoint, that Beasley wore out his welcome. I do think if he wasn’t so vocal and outspoken against getting the shot the situation would’ve been handled differently. I mean at one point we had teammates against teammates based on what they were telling the media (Diggs) in regards to getting vaxxed.

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Kind of feels like the teams effort to avoid starting a circus around stupid ***** upset him, I mean did he do any interviews last year?

Probably. It was that and probably his disregard of the Covid protocols. It’s one thing to post your beliefs to twitter. It’s another not to follow the rules put in place. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

I'm not so sure about that being what changed.  What did you see in McKenzie last year that makes you think he "emerged"?

I would say his performance against New England was a nice emergence. Daboll figured out how to use him and he showed out. I think Beasley has still shown to be the superior player, but when his views differed from those within the organization then it became a lot easier when McKittrick fit in well and played well.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I don't think the organization changed.. I like Cole, but he is just saying things.  

The guy who we are all hoping/expecting to become a star in this Offense was also unvaxxed.  The organization promoted him to WR2. 

But he didn't rant and rave all over twitter. Beasley's views were never the issue. His behaviour was. 

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, SCBills said:

I don't think the organization changed.. I like Cole, but he is just saying things.  

The guy who we are all hoping/expecting to become a star in this Offense was also unvaxxed.  The organization promoted him to WR2. 

That's a good point, though Beasley was vocal about it in a way that became controversial. I think the main reason is he got old, regressed a bit, and we had better options for the money at slot. I don't blame a fella for creating a narrative that preserves his sense of self-worth, though. I wish him well, personally.

• Like (+1) 7

Just now, GunnerBill said:

But he didn't rant and rave all over twitter. Beasley's views were never the issue. His behaviour was. 

True.  I do think some of his outspokenness was to protect other guys on the team.. but, as someone who 100% agreed with him, he also took it too far. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yeah I think that's more what it was, his decision about the vaccine wasn't the issue it's the fact that he wanted to go out and make a statement about it that was, and he didn't like that the team was telling him not to do that.

• Agree 1

Just now, tomur67 said:

Cole made many, many big plays for the Bills.  Big time receptions to sustain drives when needed.  Hopefully, someone can fill his shoes.

I feel like a lot of people are missing this.

Beasley was a MASSIVE outlet for Josh, and had a real knack for making huge conversions when the QB was in trouble.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

I feel like a lot of people are missing this.

Beasley was a MASSIVE outlet for Josh, and had a real knack for making huge conversions when the QB was in trouble.

James Cook is not a slot receiver. He won't have wr numbers, but I think he will be one of multiple fellas that will fulfill that role.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

James Cook is not a slot receiver. He won't have wr numbers, but I think he will be one of multiple fellas that will fulfill that role.

He needs to prove he can be that guy in the clutch. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

What changed is all the posts he made on twitter. Coaches didn’t like it. Just read the tweets in this thread. You can see. I could tell he was playing his last season by mid season. 

Because of his tweets?  Nah.

I think it's more because of what we saw on the field.   Beas had pretty clearly lost some speed and quickness - maybe with the broken leg/stress fracture that he played on in 2020 playoffs he couldn't train as much in the off-season?  Maybe it's just Father Time catching up to his ability to recover?

Then when he injured his ribs and kept playing, he pretty clearly lost another step.  He just couldn't get downfield and get open quickly enough.  We saw a huge change when Beasley was forced to sit by the NFL rules and McKenzie got his shot - er, sorry! sorry!  I mean, opportunity to play.

And of course, it didn't help that defenses seem to have "solved" how to smother the option routes Beasley killed teams with in 2020.  Beas got his shot (sorry! sorry!  I mean, chance) at playing different WR posltions in 2019, and the team's evaluation of how that went, was to trade for Diggs and draft Gabe Davis.

Beane has consistently shown a quiet ruthless streak in moving on from players who contributed greatly to the team, when he assesses that they were physically and/or mentally on the downhill slide.  John Brown didn't use the Twitters and had absolutely no controversy whatsoever around him, but Beane cut him after one season plagued by injury.   Didn't offer him a chance to re-negotiate, just straight out "Thank you and Good Bye".

Some people questioned the move at the time, but when subsequently Brown did a 4-team tour of teams that really needed a WR that resulted in him playing a total of 4 games with 3 targets, it became clear that Beane's unsentimental "football first!" judgement of Brown's plummeting capabilities was correct.

And truthfully, if Beasley still "had it" on film to play at his 2019/2020 level, some other team would have signed him by now.  There are enough teams that are wide receiver needy.  Teams sign all kinds of low-lifes because of their football skills.

• Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, SCBills said:

In my opinion its not necessarily a vax or unvax issue. Think the team/organization is very comfortable with each players choices

Think the issue is that there are rules for both and if you chose to be unvaccinated then you follow those rules and thats where cole felt things change 

• Agree 1

Just now, ToGoGo said:

He needs to prove he can be that guy in the clutch. 

Well, yes. He was able to do that frequently at the collegiate level. I think he'll acclimate quickly and be effective as a rookie, but obviously, it's not proven till it actually happens.

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Because of his tweets?  Nah.

I think it's more because of what we saw on the field.   Beas had pretty clearly lost some speed and quickness - maybe with the broken leg/stress fracture that he played on in 2020 playoffs he couldn't train as much in the off-season?  Maybe it's just Father Time catching up to his ability to recover?

Then when he injured his ribs and kept playing, he pretty clearly lost another step.  He just couldn't get downfield and get open quickly enough.  We saw a huge change when Beasley was forced to sit by the NFL rules and McKenzie got his shot - er, sorry! sorry!  I mean, opportunity to play.

And of course, it didn't help that defenses seem to have "solved" how to smother the option routes Beasley killed teams with in 2020.  Beas got his shot (sorry! sorry!  I mean, chance) at playing different WR posltions in 2019, and the team's evaluation of how that went, was to trade for Diggs and draft Gabe Davis.

Beane has consistently shown a quiet ruthless streak in moving on from players who contributed greatly to the team, when he assesses that they were physically and/or mentally on the downhill slide.  John Brown didn't use the Twitters and had absolutely no controversy whatsoever around him, but Beane cut him after one season plagued by injury.   Didn't offer him a chance to re-negotiate, just straight out "Thank you and Good Bye".

Some people questioned the move at the time, but when subsequently Brown did a 4-team tour of teams that really needed a WR that resulted in him playing a total of 4 games with 3 targets, it became clear that Beane's unsentimental "football first!" judgement of Brown's plummeting capabilities was correct.

And truthfully, if Beasley still "had it" on film to play at his 2019/2020 level, some other team would have signed him by now.  There are enough teams that are wide receiver needy.  Teams sign all kinds of low-lifes because of their football skills.

I should have said more in that post. No not just because of tweets but also because he wasn’t following protocols. Yes he lost a step and that probably played into it as well.