Training Camp practice 8/8

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

That is the question that could be answered in camp/preseason.  Let's take out ST play for one moment.  I agree with your 5 WRs as locks.

I know not everyone does, but I do.  Shakir can take snaps outside but the "camp question" will be, can he do it full time if needed?

Hodgin is a complete unknown, but the question is can he fill in if needed?

Maybe 7 WRs are kept but not all will dress.  Kumerow has PS skills, but his WR skills are a lot less than I originally hoped for.  Kumerow is 30+

and on a one-year contract so I could ask "Is he in the Bills future"?  Hodgins will be 24 on a cheap 2-year and none of us know what he could

bring to ST.  We also don't know if Kumerow's ST spot can be filled with a player from another position.

I think the 6th and/or 7th WR spots are totally up for grabs and there are a lot of "other" factors beyond what we see to make a call.

Good points, but I would say Hodgins  is only an unknown to us fans, I’m quite certain the O side coaches have seen a good deal more than us, and have a pretty good handle on his use and potential.  Hodgins  is said to have very good hands, he has size and can play inside or outside and has been on an NFL training regime for going on three years.   The Bills are going to be making hard decisions as to roster allotments. Which beats the hell out of six years ago…., 😁👍

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

That is the question that could be answered in camp/preseason.  Let's take out ST play for one moment.  I agree with your 5 WRs as locks.

I know not everyone does, but I do.  Shakir can take snaps outside but the "camp question" will be, can he do it full time if needed?

Hodgin is a complete unknown, but the question is can he fill in if needed?

Maybe 7 WRs are kept but not all will dress.  Kumerow has PS skills, but his WR skills are a lot less than I originally hoped for.  Kumerow is 30+

and on a one-year contract so I could ask "Is he in the Bills future"?  Hodgins will be 24 on a cheap 2-year and none of us know what he could

bring to ST.  We also don't know if Kumerow's ST spot can be filled with a player from another position.

I think the 6th and/or 7th WR spots are totally up for grabs and there are a lot of "other" factors beyond what we see to make a call.

I agree with this.   "Factors beyond what we see to make a call" is exactly right.    What you have to choose from is guys who don't look like they bring any dominant skills, so the task becomes "you may not have a long future here, show us all the things you can do."  The guys who can prove they're the most useful make the roster.   So, for Hodgins the questions are can you play in the slot if we need you, can you play any special teams, can you block.  For Crowder, it's different.  The questions are can you still do it, and can you do it in our system.   If you can, we don't care if you can play special teams.   Hodgins is stuck with being the Reggie Gilliam of the wide outs - make yourself so useful that we need you on the team.  Hodgins is faced with being Isaiah McKenzie four years ago - make yourself useful and you can stay on the team.   Over time, maybe you'll grow into more.   

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Good points, but I would say Hodgins  is only an unknown to us fans, I’m quite certain the O side coaches have seen a good deal more than us, and have a pretty good handle on his use and potential.  Hodgins  is said to have very good hands, he has size and can play inside or outside and has been on an NFL training regime for going on three years.   The Bills are going to be making hard decisions as to roster allotments. Which beats the hell out of six years ago…., 😁👍

These are good points.  And I'll add to it what I was just saying about having guys who want it so bad that they don't stop working at it.  The McDermott wrestling guys.   If Hodgins is one of those, then maybe he's growing into one of those guys who just forces himself into the lineup.   That would be amazing.  

Think of the message the apparent success of McKenzie sends to the younger players.   

McDermott talks about best version of yourself and playing the best football of your life.  Other coaches say it, but McDermott actually has a way of doing it.   He needs the right guys, and Beane is delivering the right guys, but McDermott is showing them the way.  Diggs, and Josh are that kind of guy, and McKenzie and Gilliam are, too.   They all are completely committed to doing it right, and McDermott gets great play out of most of them, up and down the lineup.    It's masterful.  

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Doyle beating Epenesa is interesting. Either Doyle got better(doubtful) or Epenesa is as bad as we think(more likely). 

Epenesa for a conditional 7th rounder will probably happen in a couple weeks.

Epenesa is a huge disappointment. 

Just now, John from Riverside said:

In my opinion both Crowder and Hodgins would have trade value you might not get a very high pic but that’s what beane does

You really think either of those guys would even get a 7th? Come on day dreams and gum drops. So I will wait for the "Why didn't we trade so and so away thread?" When whichever one gets cut.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I wonder why you would say this when Beane has a track record of finding draft picks for players he would have cut

Agree.  I would say of the players that may not make the team,  Ford, Haack, and Epenesa have some trade value.  Doubt any would net more than a conventional 7th round pick or perhaps a swap of picks.  Epenesa and a 6th for a 5th.  Something like that.  I suppose Crowder may be on that list too. I still have him making the 53 but choosing how many and which WRs to keep is going to be interesting to watch.

1 minute ago, TBBills said:

You really think either of those guys would even get a 7th? Come on day dreams and gum drops. So I will wait for the "Why didn't we trade so and so away thread?" When whichever one gets cut.

Giants will be our vultures. It wouldn’t surprise me that they Would trade a late pick for Hodgins.

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Giants will be our vultures. It wouldn’t surprise me that they Would trade a late pick for Hodgins.

Hodgins a guy who has never seen the field? I don't think he is even on Daboll's "If the Bills cut him" list.

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I have the same question

Diggs

Davis

McKenzie

Shakir

barring injury all seem locks at this point

Crowder

Austin

Hodgins

Pau'u who has been making some noise reportedly

unless someone else has emerged, Kumerow probably makes it as the 5th or 6th WR for his ST chops

So we're likely looking at one spot between the 2nd group of 4, and it's likely that they keep an extra TE this year

Kumerov is on the bubble imo..ST’s has him hanging on by a thread when that last WR spot is being decided, barring no significant injuries between now and final cuts.

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Obj would basically be a playoff rental if it did happen. He played well, was a good teammate and was cool with being 2nd fiddle to Kupp. 

Nobody is talking about a 3 or 4 yr role, but 100% I'd trust him to come in, in December and be a good dude till mid feb. Especially with Josh throwing the rock, being on a sb caliber team (oh and it'd be the best way to increase his next contract value)

Need to take it easy with your logic and reason. 

Throw some hyperbole and strawman comments in there. 😆

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Hodgins a guy who has never seen the field? I don't think he is even on Daboll's "If the Bills cut him" list.

I bet Joe Schoen is all over him, just like he quickly snagged Antonio Williams (and I think some other of our PS type guys).

i fully expect if they were cut, the Giants would be grabbing guys like Cam Lewis, Nick MacLoud, and Hodgins. 

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I bet Joe Schoen is all over him, just like he quickly snagged Antonio Williams (and I think some other of our PS type guys).

i fully expect if they were cut, the Giants would be grabbing guys like Cam Lewis, Nick MacLoud, and Hodgins. 

I could see that happening.  

In every case all we're talking about is whether Beane picks up a 7th or two which, as someone said, is something Beane likes to do.   

Hodgins?   I could see some team that was high on him coming out of college might give up a 7th to be sure that he didn't go someplace else.  

One thing to remember is the reputation the Bills are building - that this is a place where players really learn football, and guys who've played for the Bills can play.   That's the message McDermott sells, and players seem to echo it.  

So, yeah, I can see a team or two being will to burn a 7th to get a guy.  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Yea if they get cut def, no way they even try to trade a pick.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.