Training Camp practice 8/8

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I would think so, too.  One series or 8 or 10 snaps, whichever comes first   Just to have the feel of the game and the rhythm he and Dorsey have.   Then go to the bench.   

Also gives the coaches a chance to look at some film of the first team on the field and actually playing, just to see if everything is okay, mechanically.  

I would sit Saffold and Brown, even if they've been working with the number 1 unit some of this week.   Give them one more week before they have to face live action.   Keep going slowly with them.  

No chance I’d put Josh out there behind a makeshift OL.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, hemma said:

Well, lotsa guys will end up being cut, but I think they will keep Hodgins over Kumerow.

Youth will be served.   Special teams will not crumble without Kumerow.

It won't crumble without Kumerow, but there's a numbers game - the lower guys on the roster totem pole pretty much MUST play ST or there aren't enough ST bodies to put on the field without risking the starters. 

And last year, Kumerow came on as very good at ST.  So unless Hodgins has started playing teams, his path to the 53 looks murky.

Anyone know what the practice squad roster rules will be this season?

Edited by Beck Water

6 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

No chance I’d put Josh out there behind a makeshift OL.

This is coachspeak:

Translation of coachspeak:

Coach McDermott agrees with you.

5 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

If you cut haak does he get picked up by another team?

LOL Green Bay

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I would think so, too.  One series or 8 or 10 snaps, whichever comes first   Just to have the feel of the game and the rhythm he and Dorsey have.   Then go to the bench.   

Also gives the coaches a chance to look at some film of the first team on the field and actually playing, just to see if everything is okay, mechanically.  

I would sit Saffold and Brown, even if they've been working with the number 1 unit some of this week.   Give them one more week before they have to face live action.   Keep going slowly with them.  

Regarding Josh's playing time - one thing people should realize is it is possible for Josh to play with minimal risk of injury based on the plays they call.  Especially if one thing they want to work on is communication with Dorsey, they can do a lot of runs and quick hitting passes w/ max protect which gives him reps but doesn't put him at risk for being hit

Edited by stevewin
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Regarding Josh's playing time - one thing people should realize is it is possible for Josh to play with minimal risk of injury based on the plays they call.  Especially if one thing they want to work on is communication with Dorsey, they can do a lot of runs and quick hitting passes w/ max protect which gives him reps but doesn't put him at risk for being hit

Right.  No scrambles, unless it's a simple sprint to the sideline.    No slow-developing plays.   A couple of handoffs.   Zip, zip, zip.   Ideally, eight plays for a TD.   All just to get the look and feel of a real game, then put the baseball cap on. 

• Agree 3

You might be right.   I think if they have Dawkins, Morse, Bates and Quessenberry, they're okay.   Josh will have instructions to dump the ball if he's getting pressure.  They can trust Josh not to play hero ball in preseason.  But you may be right. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Line is starting to come together.  

Next week we may see the five starters.  That will give them three weeks of practice and two preseason games to work together.  Not ideal, as Brown also missed spring work, but it will do.  

50 minutes ago, hemma said:

Well, lotsa guys will end up being cut, but I think they will keep Hodgins over Kumerow.

Youth will be served.   Special teams will not crumble without Kumerow.

But then you have a body on the roster doing nothing as the #5 WR.  So why?

43 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

If you cut haak does he get picked up by another team?

Probably. In a perfect world, they would prefer to trade him for a late round pick. Keep watch to see who gets hurt or somewhere where the projected starter is not working out.

1 hour ago, hemma said:

If Hodgins can make it through camp without injury, imo - he finally makes the team.

Is there a place for him? Is he enough better than Kumerow at receiver than Kumerow is better at special teams, to justify that? He doesn’t beat out: Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, Shakir, probably Crowder. Can he make it as 7 now that Stevenson is down?

57 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

70-75 yard punt. Can you imagine this guys kicks at high altitude like say Denver? LOL

20 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

lol someone needs to gift #17 a Harley. I mean he would look great anywhere. But put him on a bike like that I'd frame it for my wall just sayin' 🙂

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.