Question for someone who has watched some practices. Who has looked better Barkley or Keenum?

tomur67

7 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Mitch ain't getting cut even if he loses the starter battle IMO

I wouldn't cut him either.  But then its him or Rudolph, and if he loses to Rudolph, does PGH carry 3?  If Rudolph is cut, I'd take him here over Barkley.  For what it's worth, I think Mitch wins the job, Pickett is backup, Rudolph gets traded for a 7th or something.  

On 8/7/2022 at 9:03 PM, Doc Brown said:

Would save us 1.5m in cap space with 2 million dead cap hit.  Can't see us going with Barkley as a backup though.  He's better at dancing to Renegade than throwing a football.

Unless we're against the Jets... Then Barkley comes to play! 

Let him drop another 40 points on them just for the lulz 🤣

On 8/7/2022 at 7:55 PM, tomur67 said:

Will Keenum automatically be QB2? Or is there a real competition for the position?

I'd say just given what each guy has achieved to this point in their personal career that Case is a shoe in for QB 2 Matt although is a great team mate i think his skill set to carry a team in the event that something should happen isn't good enough but Case has shown he can get it done .

Now that the Bills are amongst the elite teams in the NFL every position has to be better because every team will bring their best when ever they play the Bills . The best Case scenario is that he never see's the field but if need be he is the best Case for the QB 2 position .

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Now that preseason is over will we backup QB shop mid week??

Why, highly doubtful you're getting anyone better than Keenum, plus he knows the offense.  Maybe if Davis Webb were released, they may keep him over Barkley on the PS, but that's about it IMO.  Even that one not sure of.

Not having seen a practice, I can't answer the question posed by the OP.  Based on what I've seen in games, Keenum seems to throw with more zip than Barkley.  IIn the game versus the Panthers, both Keenum and Barkley were under a lot of pressure as the backup offensive linemen stunk the stadium up, but between the two of them, Keenum seemed to be more rattled by pressure than Barkley, but neither was up to the task on Friday evening.  If they can protect him, I think Keenum is probably the better option.

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Why, highly doubtful you're getting anyone better than Keenum, plus he knows the offense.  Maybe if Davis Webb were released, they may keep him over Barkley on the PS, but that's about it IMO.  Even that one not sure of.

Barkley may be kept on practice squad as backup punter, holder in QB.

I miss days before NFLPA became a "partner".

• Haha (+1) 1

Keenum is better than the physically limited Barkley. Still, he could probably only keep the ship afloat for 3-4 weeks if pressed into service. I highly doubt the Bills will actively shop for a backup QB at this point.  There just won’t be anyone appreciably better than Keenum available. 

On 8/8/2022 at 12:17 AM, Richard Noggin said:

Is this the place to admit I kinda liked Rudolph for the Bills in that draft? All his big-time college program leadership and pedigree.

In the spirit of destroying my credibility further, I liked Rosen more.

Same. I was a very big fan of Rudolph, and I still think he cans tick around this league for a while and carve out a career. He didn't play bad in a rookie season he wasn't expected to play in. Since then,he really hasn't had much opportunity.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Crossing myself that Josh does NOT get hurt!

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Same. I was a very big fan of Rudolph, and I still think he cans tick around this league for a while and carve out a career. He didn't play bad in a rookie season he wasn't expected to play in. Since then,he really hasn't had much opportunity.

if the Steelers cut Rudolph I’d be interested.  Although mot sure how much better than Keenum?  

44 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I feel like we would need to trade someone's backup or starter at that point if it was long term.  

On 8/11/2022 at 8:53 PM, Ralonzo said:

It’s good that Daniel Jones is picking up the offense this year for his role backing up Josh next year.

Nah, Darnold is our backup next year.  I honestly wouldn’t doubt it though.  Keenum is only guaranteed for this year and Darnold is younger.  Besides, don’t you think Allen has the juice now to ask Beane to bring him in as his backup.  Heck, they practice together with the same QB whisperer in Palmer.

11 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

There's about a dozen teams would say the same about their starting QB and another dozen that if he were replaced due to injury, there might be an improvement.  That's how Fitz managed to last as long as he has.

I do think though with actual game planning and starting lineup Keenum would look much better than on Friday.

12 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

There's about a dozen teams would say the same about their starting QB and another dozen that if he were replaced due to injury, there might be an improvement.  That's how Fitz managed to last as long as he has.

I do think though with actual game planning and starting lineup Keenum would look much better than on Friday.

Hope you're right about Keenum.  My concern with Josh is his unprotected running and leaping.

They played against different groups. The Bills weren’t having a competition for the backup spot. One has proven that they can win and lead teams to the playoffs. The other is Matt Barkley. The Bills brought Keenum here to ensure short-term stability in the event of an Allen injury. He’s a proven commodity. Barkley is here to go on the PS and fill the Davis Webb role. He is smart and Josh’s boy. 

This is like, “have you guy’s been impressed by Blackshear? He’s shown so much more than Cook the PS.” Fine, but he was never here to compete with Cook for playing time. That was also predetermined by rèsumè. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

On 8/8/2022 at 12:07 AM, Doc Brown said:

DaoqprGVwAEZNTp.jpg:large

My board looked the same exact way except I didn’t have Rudolph in there at all. 

Never been happier for being so wrong in my life. 

I thought drafting Allen was a guarantee we’d be drafting another in two or three years. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.