Question for someone who has watched some practices. Who has looked better Barkley or Keenum?

tomur67

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I was there today and Barkley was awful. Inaccurate passes, poor decisions, you name it. Keenum looked like what he is, a limited QB that can complete a few passes and help us win maybe 40%-50% of games that he's forced to play. From other reports that appears to be how it's looked for both of them throughout all of camp.

I was at camp last Monday and Barkley was awful. Inaccurate passes, poor decisions, you name it.🙂

7 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Keenum is the backup. Barkley is here to be Josh’s buddy and his wife is here to be the welcoming team. Beane said as much in a presser earlier this year 

Candidly, I have not watched practice as I live in FL, but you’re comments are pretty spot on.  The old adage is you’re backup is doing his job if he can get you to 2 and 2 while Allen is out.  Considering Allen rarely is out hurt (he’s been occasionally banged up, but seems to play through most of it), I’m not that worried about our backup.

Mitch is not coming back.  He has a chance at starting time in Pittsburgh where he’ll never see the field here.

10 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

that’s what I thought, but the article makes a compelling case otherwise.  

If that's what you thought, why you rollin' your eyes at my post that makes that point?

I read your article.  The only "compelling case" it makes is the statement that Rudolph is having the best camp so far.  It goes on to say "If Rudolph can continue to play solid in camp, I don't see him losing the No. 2 spot on the depth chart," and "But there should be no shock that the only incumbent quarterback on the roster wouldn't look the best. Rudolph has the most time spent in the area, with the roster, in the playbook and with coaches."

8 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Is this the place to admit I kinda liked Rudolph for the Bills in that draft? All his big-time college program leadership and pedigree.

In the spirit of destroying my credibility further, I liked Rosen more.

Haha Brudda by another Mudda. 

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

If that's what you thought, why you rollin' your eyes at my post that makes that point?

I read your article.  The only "compelling case" it makes is the statement that Rudolph is having the best camp so far.  It goes on to say "If Rudolph can continue to play solid in camp, I don't see him losing the No. 2 spot on the depth chart," and "But there should be no shock that the only incumbent quarterback on the roster wouldn't look the best. Rudolph has the most time spent in the area, with the roster, in the playbook and with coaches."

Haha Brudda by another Mudda. 

That's not true.  The "compelling case" is Rudolph's play when given the chance to work with the 1st team.  

Hodges’ story was better than both the performances of Hodges and Rudolph that season as Rudolph outperformed Hodges. Both quarterbacks started 8 games, Rudolph had 62.2% passes completed, 13 TDs to 9 INTs throwing for 1,765 yards to Hodges’ who had 62.5% passes completed, 5 TDs to 8 INTs throwing for 1,063 yards.

After being benched for a few games, Rudolph made his return to the field and replaced a struggling Hodges against the New York Jets. Rudolph would impress in the game throwing 14-20, 70% passes completed with a long touchdown to Diontae Johnson. Rudolph, unfortunately, would not finish the game as he left due to a sternoclavicular joint dislocation, which ended his season. Rudolph was 5-3 as a first-year starter."

It would not surprise me at all if Rudolph is the best QB on that team right now.  I think it will be Pickett eventually, but Rudolph is a good, at least league average if not slightly above-average QB.  He has playing experience, and if PGH wants to come out of the gate winning, starting him (or Mitch, assuming Mitch improves in camp) is the smart choice.  

I also think McBeane like having a guy experienced in the Bills system to run the scout team and help with preparation. I can see Barkley sticking with the team in the Davis Webb role for another year or two even. I think it's a good system that helps the young players get the most out of it and helps the coaches as well.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/8/2022 at 3:09 AM, Captain Hindsight said:

Keenum is the backup. Barkley is here to be Josh’s buddy and his wife is here to be the welcoming team. Beane said as much in a presser earlier this year 

They probably bought Barkley back because Daboll went as well, keep some familiarity 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/7/2022 at 6:38 PM, RyanC883 said:

I did see Keenum on the list of 7 people struggling.  

Interestingly, Mitch Turbisky may be getting passed by Rudolph on the Steelers.  If that happened, would Mitch be back?  (Rudloph is better than people think, so him winning the QB competition should not be surprising)  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/mason-rudolph-the-most-hated-man-in-pittsburgh/ar-AA10nu4e?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=bc953b3a17aa481ca09cd124bff78990

Mitch ain't getting cut even if he loses the starter battle IMO

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.