Saffold activated from NFI list

YoloinOhio

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

And you said what you always say.  

He said “at times, a ball control offense”.  Being able to control the clock at times…..and that triggers Jauron to you

Ya gotta forgive Scottlaw, he has a trick knee…,

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Ya gotta forgive Scottlaw, he has a trick knee…,

I do.  I love me some ScottLaw.   I just feel bad that his way of thinking makes his dog sad, as they can sense his emotion.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

I’m not sure what your point is? 

My point is that the two games you picked were early season ones in which Josh was asked to drop back 105 times.  That's a Daboll problem, which McD addressed in the middle of the season and then the results were much different.

• Disagree 2

2 hours ago, eball said:

I posted this in another thread that you conveniently ignored…tell me the last “bad” hit you saw Josh take in the pocket.

Josh is good at not taking bad hits. But the incompletion to end the home Pats loss last year is a ball that if Josh is given another half a second by his line he completes. It isn't just Josh getting beaten up that worries me, it is them forcing him to be early on balls. 

Just now, eball said:

My point is that the two games you picked were early season ones in which Josh was asked to drop back 105 times.  That's a Daboll problem, which McD addressed in the middle of the season and then the results were much different.

The protection issues last year were not a Daboll problem. They were an offensive line problem. Some of that was injuries and covid meaning we had something 8 diffferent combos in the first 10 weeks of the season, but some of it was just talent. They need Brown to develop, Saffold to be an upgrade and Bates to prove he can turn 5 solid weeks into a season of solid weeks, otherwise my worry is that unit sinks us again. 

• Agree 1

Bills O-line ranked 17th by ESPN entering the season, which seems about right.

17. Buffalo Bills

Projected starters: Dion Dawkins, Rodger Saffold, Mitch Morse, Ryan Bates, Spencer Brown

Predicted pass block rank: No. 12
Predicted run block rank: No. 26

There is reason to be skeptical of the Bills' Saffold signing. The 34-year-old guard is a former win rate standout, but his metrics have declined significantly in the past couple of seasons. He ranked 60th and 56th in pass block win rate and run block win rate, respectively, among guards in 2021.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/34298735/projecting-nfl-best-worst-offensive-lines-ranking-all-32-teams-pass-run-block-win-rates-2022

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Fortunately he was in team drills yesterday. It’s unfortunate that he missed so much time because he needs the practice but the good thing is he had the surgery and McDermott says they are being cautious with easing him back in.

I don’t think fortune has anything to do with 3 starting OL that were nicked up coming back at the same time. Heck even dion got some time already.

I think 1 week before preseason game 1 was a date to get peeps back. I think they wanted to give anyone with a boo-boo a bit of time with training staff before being full go. It makes sense and would bet its part of load management. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

This is akin to you blaming the special teams coach of 13 seconds 😅…. I think Daboll contributed at times no question, but it was more a talent issue more than anything else…. They added one of the better offensive line coaches, but didn’t do much personnel wise besides add a couple of guys who struggled in pass protection and thrive in run blocking. 

You didn't get the memo?  Bills are running the wishbone this season.

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They need Brown to develop, Saffold to be an upgrade and Bates to prove he can turn 5 solid weeks into a season of solid weeks, otherwise my worry is that unit sinks us again. 

I think if you take last year's line but insert Saffold and give Dawkins a season uninterrupted by a covid hospital stay, that alone is a league-average OL. If Brown and/or Bates develop further, the ceiling is higher. Assuming everyone stays healthy I'll be surprised if we see any games similar to the Jags or Bucs (1st half) this year.

16 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Josh is good at not taking bad hits. But the incompletion to end the home Pats loss last year is a ball that if Josh is given another half a second by his line he completes. It isn't just Josh getting beaten up that worries me, it is them forcing him to be early on balls. 

The protection issues last year were not a Daboll problem. They were an offensive line problem. Some of that was injuries and covid meaning we had something 8 diffferent combos in the first 10 weeks of the season, but some of it was just talent. They need Brown to develop, Saffold to be an upgrade and Bates to prove he can turn 5 solid weeks into a season of solid weeks, otherwise my worry is that unit sinks us again. 

If it had just been a personnel issue that might be true but they made a marked switch to more gap technique over zone  which coincided with better usage from Singletary. Not coincidentally, running the ball better helps in pass pro. Daboll had a hand in that.

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

If it had just been a personnel issue that might be true but they made a marked switch to more gap technique over zone  which coincided with better usage from Singletary. Not coincidentally, running the ball better helps in pass pro. Daboll had a hand in that.

They did but they are going back to primarily a zone scheme from everything we have heard. They did run better with the gap scheme, but for me the biggest difference down the stretch was Dawkins getting himself right. Him healthy and playing well nakes a massive difference to our line. 

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I think if you take last year's line but insert Saffold and give Dawkins a season uninterrupted by a covid hospital stay, that alone is a league-average OL. If Brown and/or Bates develop further, the ceiling is higher. Assuming everyone stays healthy I'll be surprised if we see any games similar to the Jags or Bucs (1st half) this year.

Yea I can see that... although Saffold's pass pro has always been questionable to my eye even going back to his Rams days. But I agree a fully healthy Dion is the biggest difference maker. That is a very fair point.

10 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

You didn't get the memo?  Bills are running the wishbone this season.

And when they aren’t running the wishbone, they’ll be in the wildcat, with Josh being a receiver eligible OT

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Well, great news Brown was back in practice and even had a couple of nice plays opposite Von.

ww still have a month so he has time to have the team just take their time bringing Brown back into the fold.

Brown going against Von should only help make Brown better.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.