Training Camp practice 8/7

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

That very well could be the case. I don’t fault them if that is true. Even then, they could at least be better with the overall play by play. Sure we will get major TD alerts or big play developments, but it still seems like they could talk a little bit more on what is going on. It’s been pretty quite. 

I mean I get it, practice isn’t really that exciting, but there are some of us that live and breath this stuff. I need as much filler as possible to get me through daily drives and work. I can’t even find a totally dedicated podcast with everything Bills. Sure Brown and Tasker have a good program, but you would think there would be others out there that would talk more about the Bills. Some channels exist, but most of it is basic chatter and random discos that go off in tangents. 

Joe Marino is everyday for the whole year. Fills my drives well. He doesn’t have any camp insight but like how he breaks down what others are saying. Also cover 1. 

13 minutes ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

Shout.

I go for Ryan talbot

2 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I mean we can’t even get total breakdown stats of players on the field. Would be nice to see how many WR’s got targets/reception during practice. Their approx YAC. Etc etc. 

I was at camp today, I go once a year, and it would be ridiculous to post stats like you're asking for. Every time I go I'm reminded how difficult it is to get a true read on things, although the various commentators that cover the team do their best. The players are constantly switching out, there's not always full effort or tackling, the practice situations vary wildly - nothing about training camp is conducive to building momentum like you would in a real game. Plus it's hard to watch a live play once and follow everything that's happening. The best I can do is choose to focus on one specific player or matchup. Preseason is more helpful because at least we can watch live game reps and go back to rewatch different players in their matchups. Training camp observations are mostly just helpful for figuring out where players rank on the depth chart and how certain players are being used.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I was at camp today, I go once a year, and it would be ridiculous to post stats like you're asking for. Every time I go I'm reminded how difficult it is to get a true read on things, although the various commentators that cover the team do their best. The players are constantly switching out, there's not always full effort or tackling, the practice situations vary wildly - nothing about training camp is conducive to building momentum like you would in a real game. Plus it's hard to watch a live play once and follow everything that's happening. The best I can do is choose to focus on one specific player or matchup. Preseason is more helpful because at least we can watch live game reps and go back to rewatch different players in their matchups. Training camp observations are mostly just helpful for figuring out where players rank on the depth chart and how certain players are being used.

Best post.

Too many people trying to monetize observations on issues they they nothing about.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So everyone else gushing about Allen and the offense today and Thad still not impressed and not to his expectations still.

Has anyone ever seen Thad Brown and Nick Wright in the same place at the same time?  🤔

“Decent day for the O.  Probably 3rd best day at camp’”.

3rd best day was decent. Lol.  I guess I can’t really say much, I haven’t seen any of them.  Maybe he’s right 

53 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Joe Marino is everyday for the whole year. Fills my drives well. He doesn’t have any camp insight but like how he breaks down what others are saying. Also cover 1. 

I go for Ryan talbot

I’ve been listening for Marino for years…..but I think I’m over him.  Not due to lack of quality, but voice and delivery has worn on me. 

that said, I’ve been listening to all of the good (and some bad) bills podcasts for awhile now and I have the same feeling for many of them.  Sadly, bad voices + delivery outweighs good content for me at this point.  

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’ve been listening for Marino for years…..but I think I’m over him.  Not due to lack of quality, but voice and delivery has worn on me. 

that said, I’ve been listening to all of the good (and some bad) bills podcasts for awhile now and I have the same feeling for many of them.  Sadly, bad voices + delivery outweighs good content for me at this point.  

He's always driving a point home when there is no point to make. 

How was dinner last night?

Joe: I gotta tell you, it was reeealllly good.   The meatballs had a special kick to them, I don't know what they did but they stepped out up a notch in my book. 

Edited by The Wiz
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills have fielded quite a few bad offenses when they had good defenses during the drought..............playing against a more talented defense than they face on Sundays has never moved the needle for those offenses though.    When an OL can't block anyone consistently..........putting them against a Von Miller only compounds the issue.   The gains are to be had in places where the difference in talent lined up across from each other is modest.    A guy like Quessenberry for instance isn't going to be sharpened by playing against Miller.........Quessenberry lined up against good pass rushers in practice in TN and then allowed the most sacks in the league in games.   

17 covers up for a mediocre OL and will continue to do so this year and for another 5-8 years while his athleticism is still elite.

If the Bills can find a way to field a top 5 OL at some point. Allen could obliterate passing records

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

None of those teams you mentioned had future first ballot HOFer Josh Allen playing QB.

For as bad as people want to say the OLine was last year, Allen was sacked the same amount as the year before...26 times, in one extra game.

That's a very low number. Like 1.5 per game.

People need to stop overreacting to what they see in training camp when they are intentionally moving players all over the line to cross train for flexibility and see who can play where if they need to reshuffle things during the year or have injury issues.

The Bills OL was the worst pass blocking unit in the league for much of the season and ultimately finished 29th in pressures allowed..........the final month of the season where the Bills ran Allen like a RB is the only thing that saved them from being dead last.

Poor blocking was the biggest culprit in their stunningly disappointing 7-6 start to the season.

There is no sugar coating it.

Sacks allowed are a stat that the QB himself plays a big part in.........the pressure allowed is not.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m with you here…I also find that it is hard to listen when it is just one person on the pod, lacks the back and forth rapport.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, julian said:

17 covers up for a mediocre OL and will continue to do so this year and for another 5-8 years while his athleticism is still elite.

If the Bills can find a way to field a top 5 OL at some point. Allen could obliterate passing records

In order for that to happen, they will need to pass on defense in the first round and take an elite lineman that is cost controlled. 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I feel like it could be done provided you had a team of about 3-5 who know what to look for and coordinate pass downs. You would need at least one person who could take audio of observations or type extremely fast. You would probably need at least 2 guys with binoculars to round off any details that might be missed with casual observations due to the fast nature of switching out as you mentioned seeming how recordings aren’t allowed right? There is no way 1 or even 2 people could handle a camp report properly for the information I’m looking for. It could be done, but I don’t think many people are willing to do what it would require. Not much financial reward for such effort given the amount of money it would likely take to get the exotic reports many crave. 

19 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

He's always driving a point home when there is no point to make. 

How was dinner last night?

Joe: I gotta tell you, it was reeealllly good.   The meatballs had a special kick to them, I don't know what they did but they stepped out up a notch in my book. 

So true.

12 minutes ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

I’m with you here…I also find that it is hard to listen when it is just one person on the pod, lacks the back and forth rapport.

He’s also on the Draft Dudes podcast which is 3 guys and exceptional imo . Marino has guests from time to time on locked on bills. Locked on NFL is a great one too, there are always at least two guys 

42 minutes ago, NewEra said:

“Decent day for the O.  Probably 3rd best day at camp’”.

3rd best day was decent. Lol.  I guess I can’t really say much, I haven’t seen any of them.  Maybe he’s right 

You missed the part where he said "not anywhere near expected"...on the same day where all the other buzz was people gushing about Allen carving everyone up.  

Just saying, Thad is always less positive than everyone else.  Its almost like it pains him to give praise

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.