Reggie Gilliam signs 2 yr, up to 5.2 mil extension

Dablitzkrieg

5 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I wonder if Dorsey asked for this.

I think with all the 2 TE sets and now a FB signing it looks like Dorsey is changing the offense to more ground and pound instead of Air Josh.

I would say more along the lines of making defenses have to account for the run, which will open other aspects of the offense 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I didn't have him on my final 53.

Oh, well, the problem is that it isn't YOUR final 53. Gilliam fills a lot of roles for us. He's 3 or 4 players in one. His presence on the roster opens up spots for other players.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 4

47 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Do consider, RG is not just a fullback, he is a pass catcher out of the backfield, , STs & TE, he is what management wants, another versatile guy who could score points when called on, this offense is all about having as many players who can score points as possible, and from any offensive set. This offense may have kept the same language as Dabol used, but will be more versatile.  

This is really good.   It's about loading up with as many possible skill position players as you can, and finding ways to get them on the field.   Very good.   And that's why Cook got drafted.  The offense had a gap - they haven't been good at attacking in the flats, and they haven't a good person to put out there.  

And if that's their offensive philosophy at the skill positions, it means you fill in the line with guys who can play a lot of different ways.   They aren't classic offensive linemen, but they may be more agile and able to do multiple things within the system.  That's why the oline really never looks great, because it gets beaten from time to time.  But McDermott trades that for having an oline that's more versatile and can attack in multiple ways.  So, you get a Bates, classic overachiever.  You get Brown, unconventional body type.  You get Morse, who's long on smarts but he isn't a classically powerful center.  

The objective is to put 11 guys on the field who on any given play can do almost anything, can run to almost any part of the field to attack.  When you think about the scheme of the offense in that way, it's easier to see how Gilliam could be valuable.   He's an attack-anywhere guy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I wonder if Dorsey asked for this.

I think with all the 2 TE sets and now a FB signing it looks like Dorsey is changing the offense to more ground and pound instead of Air Josh.

“We are retaining the guys we had last year, we must be shifting offensive mindsets!”

I don’t really follow your logic. 

the reason we had no 2 TE sets last year is because Sweeney’s best attribute is his banging mullet. He’s not a TE2. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Those who have an issue with Reggie Gilliam must have missed the part of last season where his being inserted into the lineup at the expense of an extra WR diversified the Bills’ offense, allowed it to keep opposing defenses more off balance, and helped to resuscitate it from its moribund state.

He plays FB, TE3, short yardage back, and all four special teams.

He’s a glue guy. He’s the type of player every roster needs. He does lots of dirty work. He’s not a star, but fullbacks rarely are.

He’ll continue to be a big part of the Bills’ team success, and when the full details of his deal come out, they will likely reveal that he’s making peanuts.

Good job by the Bills rewarding a key piece of the roster. 

Yep he’s an average fast, strongish, sort of athletic, decent hands, good at whatever you need him to do guy. His values probably equates to 2-3 depth guys combined. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Although, one has to wonder what Poyer makes of this development?

LOL in the other thread my comment was "Rachel Bush is going to need sedation"

Gilliam is not competing with Poyer to be signed of course. 

Wait until the actual numbers come out.  The contract is worth "up to" $5.2M

4 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

We don't even know the details... only know it's "up to $5.2M" and people are losing their ***** because they think we handed him $5.2M outright.

UP TO $5.2M means it could be a two-year deal at the league minimum ($1.01M in 2023 and $1.125M in 2024) with NLBTE incentives lol.

Is just me that would gladly take a league minimum payout? Damn

9 hours ago, SCBills said:

One would think that may change under Dorsey.

I certainly don’t want to be run heavy, but I wouldn’t hate a more effective run game to take the heat off Allen and provide more deep shot opportunities. 

"More effective" doesnt necessarily run MORE,just  BETTER.

58 minutes ago, 716er said:

He's going to throw a TD on a trick play this year. 

Line up in offset I-formation with Gilliam to the left

Singletary gets the handoff and starts running right

He flicks it back to Gilliam, who nobody bothered to account for

Gilliam has plenty of time to throw and hits Josh Allen on a wheel route down the left sideline for a TD

• Awesome! (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Line up in offset I-formation with Gilliam to the left

Singletary gets the handoff and starts running right

He flicks it back to Gilliam, who nobody bothered to account for

Gilliam has plenty of time to throw and hits Josh Allen on a wheel route down the left sideline for a TD

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Logic said:

Those who have an issue with Reggie Gilliam must have missed the part of last season where his being inserted into the lineup at the expense of an extra WR diversified the Bills’ offense, allowed it to keep opposing defenses more off balance, and helped to resuscitate it from its moribund state.

He plays FB, TE3, short yardage back, and all four special teams.

He’s a glue guy. He’s the type of player every roster needs. He does lots of dirty work. He’s not a star, but fullbacks rarely are.

He’ll continue to be a big part of the Bills’ team success, and when the full details of his deal come out, they will likely reveal that he’s making peanuts.

Good job by the Bills rewarding a key piece of the roster. 

I was a little confused after the 2020 season that Beane didn't bring in some competition for Reggie at the 2021 camp.

After the 2021 season I see why they didn't.

I get the feeling that Reggie will be the ST Captain and that Tyler "Dirty Red" Matakevich's time may be limited.

Probably the last year for Tiawan Jones too.  So if that is true Gilliam will be the ST MAN.

His worth on the offense is also well known.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.