Reggie Gilliam signs 2 yr, up to 5.2 mil extension

Dablitzkrieg

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

They were running a lot of 2 TE's and power I on Fri.  Dorsey installing some plays from the U i see

My only gripe would be that it seems like a lot to pay for a FB, you would think he would be on the league min

Do consider, RG is not just a fullback, he is a pass catcher out of the backfield, , STs & TE, he is what management wants, another versatile guy who could score points when called on, this offense is all about having as many players who can score points as possible, and from any offensive set. This offense may have kept the same language as Dabol used, but will be more versatile.  

3 hours ago, Beerball said:

Curious that Beane values Gilliam over Poyer.

This is a real post?  

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I just don't see the value for the position. Nor do I see him being that good at FB to warrant anything but league minimum.  

Maybe we will see more this year. I would not carry a FB and would either use Moss or a backup TE at FB if it was needed.

Like others said another overpay for special teams. I would have rather seen that money used on a veteran CB.

Think differently.   He is utilized in different ways

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

We don't even know the details... only know it's "up to $5.2M" and people are losing their ***** because they think we handed him $5.2M outright.

UP TO $5.2M means it could be a two-year deal at the league minimum ($1.01M in 2023 and $1.125M in 2024) with NLBTE incentives lol.

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Im not sure how many times this needs to be said:

When a deal is first announced, the numbers are coming from the player’s agent, who makes it sound as good as possible with language like “up to” x amount of $$$.

You must always, ALWAYS wait for the real details of the contract to come out, which almost ALWAYS look very different than the initial announcement.

WTF are you two talking about?

Don't you understand that headline mentiones 5.2M which surely means Beane just paid 5.2M in cash to Gilliam and we need to overreact immediately?

Edited by No_Matter_What
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mrags said:

Don’t bother. Most of the haters will never allow themselves to understand it. 

Well, thanks, but I think I write things like that as much for me to understand as the others. 

If you'd asked me a couple days ago what Gilliam actually did, I would have said he plays different roles in different formations, but he never seems to have much impact.   But since the extension, as I thought about it, I realized that my thinking about Gilliam was naive.   The signing says the Bills value him, that there must be some things about him that are so valuable that the Bills want to be sure to keep him.   

Writing what I wrote helped me understand why Gilliam is valuable.  And I'm sure he has value in other ways that the Bills understand and we don't even see.   Maybe he's an extraordinary leader in the special teams room.   I don't know, but it's something or a few things. 

What it means is that McDermott is paying attention to what succeeds, and what succeeds isn't necessarily the same as having the 53 best athletes, physically, on the roster.    

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Gilliam was an integral run blocker especially down the stretch last season when the offense had to adapt.  Anyone scoffing at this contract extension is clueless.

Yep. Also:

It is not a coincidence that the run game improved once Gilliam started playing more snaps.

• Agree 4

Great couple of videos.   Those blocks are clear wins at the point of attack.  And both runs show off Singletary's vision, patience, probing style.  

I'm always happy when guys stay.   It means the Bills want him, and it means he wants the Bills.  Great combination.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I wonder if Dorsey asked for this.

I think with all the 2 TE sets and now a FB signing it looks like Dorsey is changing the offense to more ground and pound instead of Air Josh.

there is zero chance they run a ground and pound offense with an elite qb. They will just be a little more balanced so defense can’t just T off all the time like last season. 

• Agree 1

I just don't see the value for the position. Nor do I see him being that good at FB to warrant anything but league minimum.  

Maybe we will see more this year. I would not carry a FB and would either use Moss or a backup TE at FB if it was needed.

Like others said another overpay for special teams. I would have rather seen that money used on a veteran CB.

We know how you feel about most things before you let us know.  We also know that we’re happy that we have Beane running our team rather than you.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

It would appear that in this case, you are on the outside looking in, so to speak, although I saw it as obvious, many here don’t understand that the offensive scheme was going to change with the Dorsey signing to the OC position , lots of small changes have been made, yet many don’t see it, and many who do see it don’t understand why, the offensive game is going through another change league wide, the teams that don’t see it are going to be playing catch up for a while. Its going to be an exciting season, teams are scrambling for versatility in their players, some coaches will be better than others at implementing schemes to utilize this concept, those that do it right will have in a sense caught lighting in a bottle… (everybody is a threat to score points) 

Go Bills !!!

Being multiple, versatile and causing confusion is what we’re striving for on both sides of the ball.  That’s a great strategy,  

• Agree 2

Not to mention…have you seen his high school tweets? Very questionable extension. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.