Reggie Gilliam signs 2 yr, up to 5.2 mil extension

Dablitzkrieg

Oh this is gonna cause some heads to explode, 😂

I’ll be back, gonna go make some popcorn 🍿😁👍

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Love it. Pretty versatile guy and cheap too.

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

WTF...useless position that he isn't even good at. Waste of precious cap space. 

he doesn’t play traditional fullback, he can do a bunch of stuff. Think of him like a hybrid TE/RB.

• Agree 3

I just don't see the value for the position. Nor do I see him being that good at FB to warrant anything but league minimum.  

Maybe we will see more this year. I would not carry a FB and would either use Moss or a backup TE at FB if it was needed.

Like others said another overpay for special teams. I would have rather seen that money used on a veteran CB.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I trust Beane, but that seems a lot for someone who I think is pretty replaceable. 

I wonder if they have bigger plans for him on offense this year, and are extending him before his production goes way up?

Based on the TC reports he is being used in 3 TE sets 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Freddie's Dead said:

*****in' ridiculously overpriced contract, especially compared to McKittrick's deal.  

Lets wait and see the final numbers… I note it says “up to”..

McKittrick’s deal was first reported at about double what it actually was…

We don't even know the details... only know it's "up to $5.2M" and people are losing their ***** because they think we handed him $5.2M outright.

UP TO $5.2M means it could be a two-year deal at the league minimum ($1.01M in 2023 and $1.125M in 2024) with NLBTE incentives lol.

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Love it. Pretty versatile guy and cheap too.

he doesn’t play traditional fullback, he can do a bunch of stuff. Think of him like a hybrid TE/RB.

I know but he really doesn't do any of those things well. Can you recall a single great block he made last year? Sure he is better than Sweeney but that is not saying much. 

I would have used the cap space on a veteran CB and the roster spot for depth on the OL. 

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I know but he really doesn't do any of those things well. Can you recall a single great block he made last year? Sure he is better than Sweeney but that is not saying much. 

I would have used the cap space on a veteran CB and the roster spot for depth on the OL. 

I think most of us tend to forget or underestimate how much McDermott loves versatility.   I have to agree with you, at any one position he just doesn't measure up as an NFL starter.   But what McDermott values is that when Gilliam is in the huddle, the defense doesn't know if he's the fullback, a running back, the second tight end, the third tight end.  He creates uncertainty for the defensive coordinator and he creates uncertainty at the line of scrimmage.   And then he does a credible job at whatever position he ends up playing.  Not great, but adequate.  All of that plus special teams apparently makes him more valuable to McDermott than we tend to appreciate. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

We don't even know if they used any cap space this year? They tacked two years on... 2023 and 2024. 

Edited by JGMcD2

14 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I just don't see the value for the position. Nor do I see him being that good at FB to warrant anything but league minimum.  

Maybe we will see more this year. I would not carry a FB and would either use Moss or a backup TE at FB if it was needed.

Like others said another overpay for special teams. I would have rather seen that money used on a veteran CB.

Gilliam plays a part and also gives the ability to carry one less TE on the roster because he can play TE too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It would appear that in this case, you are on the outside looking in, so to speak, although I saw it as obvious, many here don’t understand that the offensive scheme was going to change with the Dorsey signing to the OC position , lots of small changes have been made, yet many don’t see it, and many who do see it don’t understand why, the offensive game is going through another change league wide, the teams that don’t see it are going to be playing catch up for a while. Its going to be an exciting season, teams are scrambling for versatility in their players, some coaches will be better than others at implementing schemes to utilize this concept, those that do it right will have in a sense caught lighting in a bottle… (everybody is a threat to score points) 

Go Bills !!!

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think most of us tend to forget or underestimate how much McDermott loves versatility.   I have to agree with you, at any one position he just doesn't measure up as an NFL starter.   But what McDermott values is that when Gilliam is in the huddle, the defense doesn't know if he's the fullback, a running back, the second tight end, the third tight end.  He creates uncertainty for the defensive coordinator and he creates uncertainty at the line of scrimmage.   And then he does a credible job at whatever position he ends up playing.  Not great, but adequate.  All of that plus special teams apparently makes him more valuable to McDermott than we tend to appreciate. 

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I know. I didn't have him on my final 53. I would use limited resources differently.  I have more of an issue of the roster spot than I do the money. 

Well then, I don't really understand your original point?

12 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

In theory you are correct. But no DC in the NFL gives a fart where Gilliam lines up.

McDermott should care about the mess of an o-line they have right now more than his special teams. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.