The Best “One Year Wonders” in Bills History

JohnNord

hesportsdaily.com/news/roger-kochman-the-buffalo-bills-worst-injury-most-forgotten-player-and-ground-zero-hero/

This guy had a great start. Looked like a star in the making. Football career cut way to short with a terrible knee injury. But he became a star in his second career.  

Brandon Spoon #58 - MLB - from North Carolina

Started 14 games at MLB in 2001 (3-13) with 65 tackles, 7 TFL, 2 ints, both returned for TDs. 

Played in the the Julius Peppers bowl and intercepted Chris Weinke in the 3rd QTR for a TD. The Panthers went into the draft and selected Julius Peppers, we drated a RT at #4

https://theathletic.com/1720848/2020/04/07/brandon-spoon-the-rookie-spectacle-and-the-bills-career-that-could-have-been/

On 8/8/2022 at 12:15 PM, GunnerBill said:

I sort of agree in that I do think we held on to Jerry a year or two too long. But he was not a two year wonder even if those were the years his sack numbers pop. The pressure stat is not misleading. There were times when Jerry was the only guy getting any rush for us.  He had a down year in 2015 but then 2016-2018 he played really well for us. The last two years, fair enough I think we held on too long. 

Not saying he was terrible after those first two years, but it's no coincidence his most productive years here were playing opposite Mario Williams and in an attacking style scheme under Pettine/Schartz.

At the end of the day he's always really been a very good #2 DE/borderline #1DE but never a true game changer and why we certainly should have pulled the trigger on releasing him sooner.

There's rumblings out of houston that he may not even make their final roster which says a lot but is not necessarily surprising since he's at the end of the road.

On 8/8/2022 at 11:15 AM, CookieG said:

Miller was indeed a stud in college.  When teams in the then Big 8 actually played defense, he had good games vs Nebraska, Oklahoma and Missouri.  When his career ended, he had the 4th most rushing yards in NCAA history.

It was the end of the OJ era and he was traded to the 49ers that year. I wanted the BiIls to draft Miller as the heir apparent to OJ, (OJ lite). 

And they did.

And...he failed.

I can still remember an older cousin coming to visit after being away at college and asking, "How's the new guy Miller doing?" My dad and I both said, "He's not exactly setting the world on fire."

Yeah, he had 1000 yards his rookie year, but fully 1/3 of those yards came in 2 late season games against 2 of the worst run D teams that year.

There was a reason they drafted Cribbs in the 2nd round in 1980 and a reason Cribbs took over from the get go.  History would be repeated a few years later when TT was drafted in the second...and took over the running duties from former 1st round pick Ronnie Harmon.

Miller was more of a No Year Wonder than a One Year Wonder. I think he was more worried about his banking career than his football career.

Agree with most of it but I believe you are referencing Greg Bell with the quip about the banking career.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.