Now is the time: Get that veteran CB

Wizard

With the improvements from Dane, McCloud and Lewis, and Benford already showing out as a rook (and of course, Elam too), I think we look good at CB.  I'd much prefer to keep all of these young guys around than sign a vet on his last legs.  Going to be hard to keep all of these guys as is.  I can't imagine any of the backups (McCloud, Lewis or Benford) lasting on the practice squad for long.  They would be poached in a hurry.

2 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I think we will wait until we play a preseason game and get a good feel for the progress of Elam, Benford, and McCloud. Tre may not be ready for week 1, but the Bills may prefer to develop our young talent instead of bringing in an over-the-hill veteran.

We don't have much cap room left and I'd rather spend that on o-line depth to protect our franchise qb.

Agree - only so much cap space available and Bills are likely trying to re-work Poyer's deal, so they may not have the luxury.  Also, maybe there's a few CBs that Beane likes on other rosters that may become available as teams pare down to their 53.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Wizard said:

Until Tre White is on the field making plays again, and we have Elam and Jackson as the projected starting corners, I can't see the harm of bringing Waynes, Haden, Harris, Rhodes, or Sherman in.

Their experience and understanding of the position, schemes, and other player tendencies alone is worth shuffling a few dollars to one of them and bring that vet presence alongside Hyde and Poyer.

I know that Haden has been reported as an interest to some current Bills.

Has Beane brought any of these guys in for a visit?

Training Camp ends in less than a week. If this were to happen, it would have happened by now. I don't see McDermott plugging a guy into start without having Training Camp to gel with the rest of the Defense under their belt.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

We don't have much cap room left and I'd rather spend that on o-line depth to protect our franchise qb.

There is currently *18* Offensive Lineman on the roster.

They signed Rodger Saffold, David Quessenberry, Greg Mancz, Greg Van Roten, Jordan Simmons, and Bobby Hart. They re-signed Ryan Bates and Ike Boettger. They drafted Luke Tenuta and signed Alec Anderson, Derek Kersetter, and Tanner Owen as UDFA's.

You aren't going to see any more moves on the O-Line. They've already addressed it HEAVILY. 

11 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

They signed Rodger Saffold, David Quessenberry, Greg Mancz, Greg Van Roten, Jordan Simmons, and Bobby Hart. They re-signed Ryan Bates and Ike Boettger. They drafted Luke Tenuta and signed Alec Anderson, Derek Kersetter, and Tanner Owen as UDFA's.

You aren't going to see any more moves on the O-Line. They've already addressed it HEAVILY. 

Who starts aside from saffold when ready? 

All indications from camp is that all the young guys and depth players at CB and safety are all looking really good, including the rookies.

McDermott has shown throughout his career as a head coach and defensive coordinator that the secondary is his specialty. He seems to always get the best out of those players. We've had one of the best secondaries in the NFL since he got here. And I'm sure he lets Beane know exactly the kinds of guys he is looking for in the secondary.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Who starts aside from saffold when ready? 

The starting line is without question LT Dion Dawkins, LG Rodger Saffold, C Mitch Morse, RG Ryan Bates, and RT Spencer Brown.

I believe you're asking who the RG will be. If they didn't believe Ryan Bates could duplicate the production he had last season when in that role, they never would have matched the long term offer he signed with the Vikings, who were signing him to start. If they thought of Bates as a backup on this team, they'd have let him walk and gotten a cheaper alternative.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The starting line is without question LT Dion Dawkins, LG Rodger Saffold, C Mitch Morse, RG Ryan Bates, and RT Spencer Brown.

I believe you're asking who the RG will be. If they didn't believe Ryan Bates could duplicate the production he had last season when in that role, they never would have matched the long term offer he signed with the Vikings, who were signing him to start. If they thought of Bates as a backup on this team, they'd have let him walk and gotten a cheaper alternative.

sounds right, this all the o line adds are unlikely to help the starting 5. 

4 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

We have quantity, but not necessarily quality. Spencer Brown is still recovering from his injury from last season and we don't have a good replacement. If there's a good veteran OT cut, we need to bring them in. We need a veteran like we had with Ty Nsekhe who can fill in without hampering our offense.

• Eyeroll 1

29 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

We have quantity, but not necessarily quality. Spencer Brown is still recovering from his injury from last season and we don't have a good replacement. If there's a good veteran OT cut, we need to bring them in. We need a veteran like we had with Ty Nsekhe who can fill in without hampering our offense.

David Quessenberry / Doyle are the backup tackles, and from reports Greg Mancz has played well at guard. and Mitch said just recently that the bills had an embarrassment of riches on the O-line.  I'd argue Ty Nsekhe would not even make this team

7 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Spencer Brown returned to practice today and he'll be ready for the start of the season. David Quessenberry is the 'Ty Nsekhe' level OT Beane chose amongst all other options available. These are the guys he chose and felt fit the team best. He's not just going to keep signing O-Line talent until he finds one that Allen2Diggs is happy with.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Agree with the OP. Go get a veteran CB. McD has had White start every game until his injury. Those saying they can coach up a low round pick, that was true because they had an All-Pro on the other side.

Signing a veteran allows them to put White on the PUP list and bring him back mid-season.

Only way we bring in a vet:

1. Tre is not expected back, or runs into complications recovering, prior to mid season. OR

2. Injury to either Elam/Dane

Otherwise, signing a vet (ie: Joe Haden) has some drawbacks:

1. Cap/cost: we'd likely be looking at a 1 yr $5-6M (fully guaranteed deal).  Much rather we use that money elsewhere, ie: numerous upcoming extensions

2. Said vet will become the 3rd corner, once Tre returns.  To me, not only does this become a waste of money but also a potential locker room issue

3. Young up & comers: rather we not cut a player, like Benford or Lewis/McCloud, who could be future valuable depth and potentially grow into a more prominent role.  

Girmven Beanes philosophy of balancing the "now vs future", can't see us signing a vet CB at this stage unless injuries happen.

17 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Only way we bring in a vet:

1. Tre is not expected back, or runs into complications recovering, prior to mid season. OR

2. Injury to either Elam/Dane

Otherwise, signing a vet (ie: Joe Haden) has some drawbacks:

1. Cap/cost: we'd likely be looking at a 1 yr $5-6M (fully guaranteed deal).  Much rather we use that money elsewhere, ie: numerous upcoming extensions

2. Said vet will become the 3rd corner, once Tre returns.  To me, not only does this become a waste of money but also a potential locker room issue

3. Young up & comers: rather we not cut a player, like Benford or Lewis/McCloud, who could be future valuable depth and potentially grow into a more prominent role.  

Girmven Beanes philosophy of balancing the "now vs future", can't see us signing a vet CB at this stage unless injuries happen.

I could see a veteran CB signing on Bills for less than market if it appears that only veteran PS positions were available and Bills were to guarantee certain percentage of snaps for CB when CB was healthy.  QB would have an agreement that player would be able to be traded as long as player was traded after a certain date outside AFCE.  This would keep QB on market later in year if another CB went down but give Bills a CB for first part of the year letting Tre' not having to rush.  Of course the Bills would only make a deal with CB who would be able to fit into Bills defense system.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.