Now is the time: Get that veteran CB

Wizard

Until Tre White is on the field making plays again, and we have Elam and Jackson as the projected starting corners, I can't see the harm of bringing Waynes, Haden, Harris, Rhodes, or Sherman in.

Their experience and understanding of the position, schemes, and other player tendencies alone is worth shuffling a few dollars to one of them and bring that vet presence alongside Hyde and Poyer.

I know that Haden has been reported as an interest to some current Bills.

Has Beane brought any of these guys in for a visit?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 7

3 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Until Tre White is on the field making plays again, and we have Elam and Jackson as the projected starting corners, I can't see the harm of bringing Waynes, Haden, Harris, Rhodes, or Sherman in.

Their experience and understanding of the position, schemes, and other player tendencies alone is worth shuffling a few dollars to one of them and bring that vet presence alongside Hyde and Poyer.

you already know the answer to this. Clearly right now they’re comfortable with what they have at CB else they would have hosted at least one of the guys you named. Some of whom are completely washed btw.

• Agree 1

Considering how well they are able to coach up late round picks or UDFAs to come in and not miss a beat(Dane Jackson, Levi Wallace, and Cam Lewis), perhaps they feel they can just coach up the guys they already have there now like they have the past several years?

Apparently their 6th round CB is playing very well at camp...so well he was getting some time with the 1s and was holding his own against Diggs.

Edited by Big Turk

If it's going to happen, there will be visits next week.  I don't see how they can wait until after the first preseason game.   They're not installing a vet in their defensive scheme in two weeks.  

Every day that goes by, it looks more like they're going with what they have.   One thing that probably means is that we're going to start to see Tre'Davious on the field pretty soon.   

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

I think we stay the course….

Our current CBs are going to step it up….

No need to panic.

Now the OL, on the other hand…. We need a better sixth OL…. Someone who can push Quessenberry to 7th and Doyle to 8th….

imho, that is…. That is where we need the most help….the OL….

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Considering how well they are able to coach up late round picks or UDFAs to come in and not miss a beat(Dane Jackson, Levi Wallace, and Cam Lewis), perhaps they feel they can just coach up the guys they already have there now like they have the past several years?

I agree with development here of our DBs - but they've been lucky to have 2 cornerstone safeties to rely on for 5 seasons now.  AND an elite CB1 that takes pressure off. 

Our DBs after the White injury played against ONE elite offense up until the KC game and got embarrassed in both - the other being Tampa.

We played whatever the hell Carolina lined up with, Atlanta (both at home), the Jets, Patriots twice, and then a third time in the playoffs.  

We can say our CB development has been very good - Taron and Wallace being 2 of them.  I like Dane, McCloud, and the promise of the rookies.   

But we absolutely cannot say that this secondary can hold its own without Tre - right now.  Not with the first 7 games we play - no way. 

If we go 3-3 going into Green Bay and get White back by then, I legit think I'd take that.  The 3 toughest games being at Rams, at KC, and at Baltimore.  

BUT if the front 7 is nasty, that's the game changer. 

55 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Agree with the OP. Go get a veteran CB. McD has had White start every game until his injury. Those saying they can coach up a low round pick, that was true because they had an All-Pro on the other side.

Signing a veteran allows them to put White on the PUP list and bring him back mid-season.

Everybody says they’re good with what they got, stand pat until the current set of DBs get cooked covering the opponents receivers. If they can’t cover the receivers on they’re roster now, what makes you think they’ll be ready by week one? Yes, the current set of guys may have upside but it is important for the Bills to get off to a hot start. Those early losses to subpar teams hurt the Bills in securing home field. Home field/1st rd bye only helps to get to final destination 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I think we will wait until we play a preseason game and get a good feel for the progress of Elam, Benford, and McCloud. Tre may not be ready for week 1, but the Bills may prefer to develop our young talent instead of bringing in an over-the-hill veteran.

We don't have much cap room left and I'd rather spend that on o-line depth to protect our franchise qb.

Edited by Allen2Diggs
  • Like (+1) 2

I really think people underestimate how high the coaches are on Dane Jackson.  I do agree with a veteran signing for depth because we are another injury away from being in trouble.  

But when Tre is back, we are in great shape, decent now with Jackson and Elam 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I agree with development here of our DBs - but they've been lucky to have 2 cornerstone safeties to rely on for 5 seasons now.  AND an elite CB1 that takes pressure off. 

Our DBs after the White injury played against ONE elite offense up until the KC game and got embarrassed in both - the other being Tampa.

We played whatever the hell Carolina lined up with, Atlanta (both at home), the Jets, Patriots twice, and then a third time in the playoffs.  

We can say our CB development has been very good - Taron and Wallace being 2 of them.  I like Dane, McCloud, and the promise of the rookies.   

But we absolutely cannot say that this secondary can hold its own without Tre - right now.  Not with the first 7 games we play - no way. 

If we go 3-3 going into Green Bay and get White back by then, I legit think I'd take that.  The 3 toughest games being at Rams, at KC, and at Baltimore.  

BUT if the front 7 is nasty, that's the game changer. 

We can always just outscore teams.

• Like (+1) 1

Who do you cut then? 

White, Elam, Taron, Dane are all locks. It sounds like Bender is a lock. Both Cam and McCloud are supposedly playing great, and both of those guys give us more versatility. 

I think they would have to basically IR or PUP White, but even then, we would probably have to cut one or more of these other guys. 

3 hours ago, Wizard said:

There is about as good a chance of bringing in a known veteran corner as there is with making the McDermott era end lol

Edited by John from Riverside

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.